did you get a choice? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

did you get a choice? did you get a choice?

Unread 03-13-2006, 11:23 AM
did you get a choice?

Rayne,
We tell the same story. I cant remember how many different B/C pills I was on, and none of them "agreed" with me. Ive put the hyster off for about 10-12 years (Im 35). Ive had other surgeries (see signature) Declined the Depo and Lupron based on side effects, and finally decided enough is enough!! My Dr. told me long ago, when I get sick of the pain and want to feel better I will come to him with the decision. Well, that time has come. I go in next Thursday. And though Im scared to death, I know deep down, it is the best thing for me!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 12:19 PM
did you get a choice?

many of you seem to be/have been in my same boat. (good thing its a big boat ) As for my 12 years of pain, no, not a saint LOL, but my problems started about 5 seconds after my first period started.. and they never stopped. My mother had to buy me a new bed mattress because I soaked through a tampon,pad, and my clothes and had made a puddle of blood so big in my bed you would have thought I peed it. I have been to the hospital MANY MANY times for blood loss during a "normal" period.

I have had 3 other Doctors tell me I have endo. I have had 2 laps done in the past 4 years, but those were both only to burn away adhesions from other surgeries. This Doctor wanted to do ANOTHER lap, to check for endo, use the Lupron (which I do not want to use) and "see where it takes us". It was during this that he skimmed by the Hyst option. He acted like He didnt want to do it, bc of my age, and bc if I do have endo, we would have to take my ovaries. But, I am 25 years old, I have 3 children and have had 2 tubal ligations. (yes, TWO. the first failed and I had child number 3 LOL) I am DONE with my uterus. It is doing nothing for me but causing me constant pain. I understand his point about the ovaries. At first, I didnt and just wanted them gone, because I have also had so many problems with huge cysts, some larger then my uterus. So we decided that we will do a hyst, and if he finds endo, he will take it all plus the ovaries. If not, he will take everything and leave the right ovary. The reason we chose to keep that one is because I seem to only have trouble with the left one, and he seems very adamant that I keep at least one.

My husband is a little upset at me now though, as it gets closer, because he said I should have done another lap, so that we know exactly what we are "fighting" before we do a hyst. But I told him it really wouldnt matter, because if it IS endo (which Im positive, and so are 3 other Doctors) or if its Cancer or something, we would have to do this anyway. Regardless, This is going to end the pain Iv been in for nearly half my life. But.. him saying that makes me feel a little foolish, like maybe Iv just jumped too fast. It isnt as if I havent been trying other procedures for years.. I just dont want to miss my chance to end my pain for good. Am I making sence or do I sound like a scared girl a week away from a life altering surgery lol.. ?
Unread 03-13-2006, 02:33 PM
did you get a choice?

I have been having problems for about 8 1/2 years now. I have tried several BC pills, some pills called cyclocapron(sp?) and then the Mirena IUD. I am only 34 but I have had enough. I couldn't tell you how many u/s I have had, but nothing is showing up. I could still try ablation, but nothing else has worked so neither my doctors or I feel very optomistic about it. My family doc was totally against me having a hyst for years, even after 2 ob/gyn's suggested it may become necessary to stop the pain and bleeding. The last time I saw her, she told me that I'm making myself sick by waiting any longer and that in her opinion it was time to have the hyst. So here I am. 2 days from now I'll be lying in the castle, probably cursing fate for giving me all this to deal with, but I'll be on the mend. The worst part will be being away from my family.The hospital is 2 hours from where I live.(no doctors locally left that I trust)
I could have waited or kept trying other things, but I am tired of having no energy and being in pain. I need to try this for me. My quality of life is important to me.
Good luck with your choices. It is not easy.
Bless the wonderful sisters who started this site and keep it going. This has been a great help to me and to many others.
Big warm 's,
Kimberley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 10:55 PM
did you get a choice?

Hi Rayne! Yes, I was given 3 choices: Provera and Cyclocapron, Lupron and then ablation, or hysterectomy. I did a lot of research on the internet, looked up those drugs in the CPS at work, and talked it over with my family. Well, both my girls had tried Provera injection for birth control and bled for 3 months straight. Certainly didn't want that. Family recoiled in absolute horror when I told them the side-effects of Lupron included moodiness (apparently my PMS is a tad bad-imagine that!) and then I recoiled in horror when I went to the drug store to price the drugs. We have no drug plan, so that was out. Not to mention, there is a strong history of breast cancer in my family, so hormones, especially birth control, really weren't an option. However, I really wasn't crazy about surgery either, so everything kept going in circles in my brain until Aunt Flo made her visit. She was an absolute witch that time and I called the doctor right away to make an appointment to schedule surgery. I still, between AF's visits, think that maybe I'm over-reacting, then she visits and I'm sure again! Not to mention, I'm running out of pain-killer options.
I would say ask a lot of questions, especially here and on the 'options and alternatives' forum-they do have some success stories for alternatives, but in the end, you do what is right for you. It just helps to get a lot of information.
Unread 03-14-2006, 12:37 AM
did you get a choice?

My doc gave me a choice we have tryed bc option which have failed he told me there are other option all of which are a bandaid for the problem although a hyst may not cure it i have a better chance then the other otions so yes i had a choice and do to the amount of pain i have been dealing with i fell it is time to do a hyst. it may not be the right choice for some but for me i feel its. Doc said he feels the only place i have endo is on my female parts so its very possobel a hyst will cure it my fingures are crossed so like you and don't see the point in putting a bangaid on somthing that can only get worse if not fulling taken care of. I may be wrong but that is my out look on it
Unread 03-14-2006, 03:21 AM
did you get a choice?

After years (25+) of suffering with extremely painful cramping, heavy cycles, removal of my felopian tubes at 19, removal of a uteran tumor, ovarian cysts, numerous rounds of birth control to attempt cycle regulation, D&C, and endometrial ablation, I'm done "trying" other methods. Of the women in my immediate family, I managed to keep my ovaries, uterus, and cervix 10 years longer than my sister and 14 years longer than my mother. I'm ready! It is definitely an individual decision though. Do your research, and then make the decision that is best for you. Best wishes!

Maxine
Unread 03-14-2006, 07:17 AM
did you get a choice?

Good morning!!

Where to begin, i started out with bad af's at age 11, on meds for years and then at 21 opted for BC pills they worked temporarily. I am always in severe pain, in a fetal position or suffer such heavy bleeding that when it first starts blood gushes out. So my ob and doc decided I needed something to be done, and I had an Endometrial ablation oct 2005. The ablation failed miserable and made things worse and the doctors said they have tried everything medically to make things better and the only choice left was a Hysterectomy. I know that is my best choice at this point, but it never makes me feel any better about it. Goodluck with having the option to make choices as I Did.
Unread 03-14-2006, 05:27 PM
did you get a choice?

Hi Rayne
I was given options...ablation, BC pills, some other drugs that scared me when I read the side effects, hyst.

I had not done any other alternatives throughout the 10 years or so that my dr figures I have been suffering through.

I chose to do the hyst instead of the alternatives because I wanted my life back, for one, and that the alternatives don't always work, I didn't want to end up in surgery after surgery after surgery - each getting progressively more major - and I didn't totally like my alternatives (more drugs).

Only you can make the decision for you. Even your DH or partner doesn't really have a say in this matter. Until your partner experiences EXACTLY what you do, no one knows what you are feeling.

Best of luck to you with your decision,
Autumn
Unread 03-18-2006, 09:53 PM
did you get a choice?

yes I was given a choice of b/c only I have tried all kinds and nothing seemed to work so he said the only option for me I have adenomyosis and enlarged uterus three times the size of a normal one it had to be removed, he is scheduling me for a TAH and possible BSO, I may have more damage in me then he can see from my pains I am scheduled for 3/22/06 one day after you good luck to you, and if you are in pain like me you are making the best decision
Unread 03-18-2006, 11:19 PM
did you get a choice?

Same boat as u 4sweetpeas. 8 1-2 yrs of trouble. Dr. left decision up to me. bcs, IUD, depo, tubal, explor.surg. All of this comes to an end on Wednesday...I will be uterus free...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register