How many clots are too many? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many clots are too many? How many clots are too many?

Unread 03-13-2006, 11:41 AM
How many clots are too many?

Dear Ladies,
I started out writing my reply to this thread and it was too long, so i just deleted it and wanted to say I was having much the same symptoms as all of you. Without going into too much information, I can say I do not miss it nor do I regret my decision to have my hysterectomy... and I have had my fair share of complications, let me tell you! Good luck, Godspeed and quick, uneventful recoveries to all of us...always! Tami S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 03:42 PM

Last summer I nearly had a bleed out -- you know, a near death experience. The funny thing is that although I had been bleeding for almost two weeks and was having big clots, it didn't seem all that out of the norm for me (!!). Finally, the clots stopped coming and it just started to be a heavy flow of bright red blood. Now I know that's when you are really in trouble.

I always thought that hemorrhaging that would kill you would look like blood spurting across the room, or covering the bed, but that never happened.

Nevertheless, when I woke up one morning and couldn't even walk to the bathroom, I was off to the hospital and received four units of blood.

None of those clots was over 4 inches in diameter.
Unread 03-13-2006, 04:18 PM

i have similar clot stories and the only thing I can relate it to myself is when I miscarried. I have the crampy need to push feel for the first 3 days of my period. My doctor says that is just the body's way to get rid of waste and that as long as I am not anemic, then it is not an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayu
i have similar clot stories and the only thing I can relate it to myself is when I miscarried. I have the crampy need to push feel for the first 3 days of my period. My doctor says that is just the body's way to get rid of waste and that as long as I am not anemic, then it is not an issue.
Firts time I have heard anyone else ever say this! I have that "need to push" feel for the first couple of days too. More recently I am just feeling it all the time though. Anyone else with ovarian cysts and/or fibroids feel that too?
Unread 03-13-2006, 05:53 PM

The largest I have had was the size of my fist. It is really awful. My "Red Headed Friend" has decided to make her final visit. I am cramping and bleeding so bad...But I keep saying to myself...this is it...the last time..YIPPIIEEEEEE
Unread 03-13-2006, 06:49 PM

Hi! It is and it isn't gross-its a normal abnormal for us! I had asked a similar question a while ago about how big the clots are. I'd been having clots for quite a number of years but only tiny ones (I'm sorry, but I have a horrible habit of comparing it to food 'cause everyone can relate ) about the size of rice grains. Doc, a male, said that was okay. About 2 years ago they started getting bigger: pea-sized and would get past the tampon rendering tampons useless, so I had to start with pads-nice side effect of that was it decreased the pain from the cramps. But over the two years, clots got bigger, cramps got worse, periods got longer, and I got anemic. What sent me to the dr. was a clot the size of (sorry!) an Oh Henry bar after intense pain comparable to labour pain for about 1/2 hour before. Fortunately the pad catches the clot and I can feel it so I get to the bathroom. Last period I had one about the size of my fist, also after intense pain. Pills don't touch that pain! Normally, during my period, I have one golf-ball sized clot, about 5 walnut-sized clots, and numerous hazelnut-sized clots. And just tons of tiny ones. And I have "gushers" after the big ones, where I pee blood for just a few minutes after-thank goodness its after. Then you feel so darned drained after.
Its a very valid question you have, so don't be afraid to ask more. And here's about the only place you can talk so freely and get such honest answers.
Take care,
Unread 03-13-2006, 10:11 PM

Mine have been bigger than my fist as well. Yes, I cannot stand it when they fall on the floor! grrr! I too look like I just maimed someone really bad afterwards.
I could never even think of wearing a tampon, my goodness, they HURT me sooo bad! I don't know how you ladies can! I'm hoping with my irregular schedule "she" won't come back before I can get my surgery scheduled. I go to the dr Friday to start setting it up.
Unread 03-13-2006, 10:34 PM
felt like something was crawling out of me

Since I was 13 I had just awful periods w/ clots the size of a quarter. But almost 2 years ago I had to have 2 D&C's from heavy bleeding and abnormal clotting.....my gyno thinks NOW that it was the HPV....even though at the time my paps were coming out normal. They say HPV causes abnormal bleeding & clotting but, can still stay dormant. And like most sisters who wrote above my clots during that time looked like it could of been my liver!! Gross I know; I would sit on the couch w/ a towel underneath me........I actually had the clots pass thru my tampons and had to wear 3 pads to bed along w/ a super plus tampon.....wait it gets better and change every 1 hr!! I had to work like this.....I could feel the blood leeking out of the tampon and soaking the pad. I hated life after bleeding like this for 2 weeks. I went to see my gyno. After the D&C's....I got put on the pill to hep yeah right!! LOL! Help nothing!! Then my grandfather pasted away in Sept. 05' and my periods STOPPED!! Thank GOD! I started having pains and spotting but no period I thought it was from stress. Wouldn't yoy know my first abnormal pap....Postative for HPV!Then it just snowballed from their to dysplasia,colposcopy's,biopsy after biopsy's,leep/loop....finaly cone biopsy. Now TVH! I'm so happy it'll be over soon! Only thing is I had the cone biopsy Feb14 and am still bleeding now.....My onc gyno says it could be aunt flow....& to wait a few more days then give her a call!! Sister's this a wonderfull site....sometimes you feel alone and think NO ONE understands and they just think you are being a cry baby. If they haven't been thru it then they just wont understand!! I'm thankfull for ASK.COM thats how I found Y'ALL!!! BIG'S Barbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register