how long hospital stay with TAH??? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long hospital stay with TAH??? how long hospital stay with TAH???

Unread 03-16-2006, 07:09 PM
how long hospital stay with TAH???

I had my surgery on Thursday morning and came home Saturday afternoon. IMHO, 2 weeks is way too soon to go back to work. I have had a great attitude from the beginning, and I'm 2 weeks post op today. No way could I have gone into work tonight. Or next week, for that matter. My doc even asked me if I needed more than the 6 weeks, but that's all the time I have.

Good luck to you and make sure you take enough time to heal properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2006, 09:53 AM

I only have about 6 days sick leave entitlement, and that's bringing it forward. I also had a 2 week vacation planned in early April way before surgery was scheduled, so no paid vacation leave I can take either. Infact some of my vacation is unpaid too. April/May financially is going to be a hard month, but I'm viewing it as just a little blip and over the course of the year things will right themselves again. Going back to work as soon as possible is not a financial decision. I did that once before, got sicker, lost the job and realized jobs just aren't worth your health. I just don't want to go crazy staying at home incapacitated, because I am an active "do-er". Looks like I will have to send my son to Blockbusters every morning before he heads out to work!

Thanks for all your helpful, honest and realistic replies.
Unread 03-17-2006, 11:14 AM

I can understand that you don't want to be bored while your recovering. You just have to be real careful not to over do things because 1. It hurts like heck when you do and pushes you a couple days behind on your recovery schedule 2. You are risking putting yourself in danger of adhesions (I have them badly because I did not want to sit still and will be having surgery again to remove them) and undoing what your doctor has done on the inside. It has been said we have 200-400 internal stitches from a TAH.
Try and plan actitivies that don't require doing to much like arranging those photos in a photo album so they are in order, put your panty drawer on your bed and get rid of those yucky ones you'll never need again (that one is fun), write a list of movies you want to see and join Netflix. Take this time and have it be about you. I think you can see where I am going with this. I just want to really warn you ladies in waiting to be careful with your recovery, you only have 1 chance to do it right, and if you do it wrong then there are chances you'll be back in that operating room. I don't mean to sound like a drag because I am not..... I do not regret my hyster at all and I feel great from it. I just wish I would have calmed down a bit during my recovery and gave my body the chance to heal properly. You all deserve that!!!
Many hugs and great wishes for a good surgery and recovery!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2006, 11:17 AM

My doctor put on my LOA paper work approx. 6 weeks recovery, leaving me some wiggle room for more or less, depending on how I feel after my TAH. I imagine by week 4 I will be mentally ready, but not physically ready, I am going to take the time I need to heal right and well.
Unread 03-17-2006, 11:40 AM

Had my TAH on Wednesday, went home Saturday....re-admitted Tuesday, went home Thursday...ugh. Just be sure you're ready to go home. My doc said 6-8 weeks. I'm at just over 5 today and I definitely want to push it to 8. I'm bored but I find that I tire very easily. I think it really depends on your age, the shape you're in pre-surgery, the type of work you do, the stress level, and how much you love your job (I don't). I did a little floor cleaning yesterday and I'm sore today and slept for 10 hours.

Best of luck to you. Remember, listen to your body.
Unread 03-17-2006, 12:14 PM

OoOoOoOo Tanner, I hadn't thought of that! How exciting to sort through my panty drawer and go by some nice new ones that will stay nice I know...I'm sad...but I shall look forward to that now
Unread 03-18-2006, 12:37 PM

I went in on a Thursday, went home Saturday afternoon. I could have stayed another day, but couldnt stand being 'attacked' by the stupid IV pole every time I got out of bed! That thing drove me nuts! The hospital is the worst place to be when you are trying to sleep as well. I slept so much better at home, in my own bed, without people coming in all the time to check my blood pressure. Guess when you are irritated by things like these, it tells you that you are ready to go home!
I am taking 6 weeks off, and will start back half days for the first two weeks back. I am getting better all the time, no pain. However, when I overdo- my whole body aches like I have the flu, and feel exhausted. It takes a couple days to feel rested and not aching.
Take the time you are allowed. Get some books to read as well. You will get bored, and frustrated with being stuck at home. But I can look back on that time now, and I realize it really wasnt that long. Try to enjoy the R & R.
All the best!
Michele

TAH, everything taken
Unread 03-18-2006, 07:07 PM

Checked into the castle on Wednesday morning, checked out Friday afternoon. Went back to work after 6 weeks.
Unread 03-18-2006, 07:20 PM

Wow, I thought I was weird, but I'm not: I had a TAH Tues a.m., went home at noon on Thurs. I drove at 2 weeks + 2 days (yesterday), and I have my first follow up next week (at 3 weeks post-op). Dr. told me in the hospital I could drive at 2 weeks. I start a BRAND NEW JOB at just under my 5 week mark, and I am very nervous, but mostly because I've been a stay at home mom for 11 years! But I think it will be o.k. I just hope my brain lethargy is gone by then. But anyway, to answer your question - LOL - 2 days for a TAH (I also started with an LAVH). Oh wait! To edit your hyst date, make your signature, etc., click on Control Panel at the top of I think of any pager here at hystersisters, then sort of in the middle left, under Control Panel again, it says Edit Profile (hyst date info), Edit Signature (how you can list what you had done after surgery), etc. Good luck.
Unread 03-18-2006, 08:52 PM

OMG, I guess I must be a real whimp because it took me a good 6 weeks to recover and still was very tired after work. I had a TAH/BSO and I don't think I could have sat at a computer all day after 2 weeks. I was still laying down. Boy, hats off to all of you who have returned to work after 2 weeks! You gals are real troopers.

Beet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register