Anyone else crazy enough to want pictures? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else crazy enough to want pictures? Anyone else crazy enough to want pictures?

Unread 03-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Anyone else crazy enough to want pictures?

Ok, so I am weird. I have pics of the inside of my knee from some minor surgery, and I like that stuff. I also have a video of my hysteroscopy from 8 years ago, showing the inside of my uterus. Cool beans!

A friend placed a baby for adoption and buried her placenta near a special tree as a symbol that part of her son will always be with her.

I am hoping my surgeon will agree to video or take pics of my uterus/fibroids. And if I'm really honest, I'd like to have my uterus back and do something symbolic like return it to the earth.

Anyone else done this? Asked?

I know. Weird. Just feel like it is a part of me that I'd like to let go of gently and not imagine it in some hazardous waste bucket in the hospital.

Embarrassed now. No laughing please!

-k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2006, 01:00 PM

Hi, Don't be embarrassed and there is certainly no laughing from my end. I have read that quite a few of the sisters have or requested pictures of their uterus,etc. I am planning on asking my Dr if he has any pictures from my hysterectomy. I wonder if they automatically take pictures or do you have to ask? Take care! Melanie
Unread 03-16-2006, 01:02 PM

Don't be embarrassed. Not the first time I've heard of someone wanting to do something similar. It doesn't hurt to ask about having your uterus. As for the pics....I would ask. I think that most docs usually take pics anyway....and video for documentation purposes. I also want to see just what the endo has done to my poor body.
On a little funnier note.....my hubby says he's gonna ask the doc if he gets a refund for the parts of me they are taking away cuz he married all of me! Silly...but it's a good way to laugh off some of the nerves. And yesterday was HIS bday and he said I had to pick the Italian restaurant we ate at cuz it was national take an endo victim out to dinner day! Gotta love him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2006, 01:35 PM

I hadn't thought about pictures and stuff. After having my second son, I asked to see the placenta, as I didn't with my first, and thought it would be kinda cool to do so. The midwife shot me such a look of disgust, but she showed me it nonetheless. I figured as it had also been in me 9 months, I'd like to know what is was.
Unread 03-16-2006, 01:38 PM

Well, if you're crazy, so am I. Click on "my photos" for some beautiful pictures of my uterus after it was removed. <warning: not for the faint of heart>

Don't worry -- docs are asked for this kind of thing all the time. Mine didn't blink an eye, and I didn't even have to provide the camera! She just asked me to remind her on surgery day that I wanted pictures, and then she e-mailed them to me the day I was discharged.

I was not only interested, I just wanted to be able to SEE what it was that was removed. And it helped me deal with the entire procedure.

Hope this helps.
Unread 03-16-2006, 02:18 PM

I have had two endo surgeries and I have pictures from both of them. We didn't even ask, they just brought them out when the Dr came out to talk to my family when she was done. I may go ahead and ask for pics from this one as well.
Unread 03-16-2006, 03:04 PM

cute pics MJD! They should have a tape measure in the picture. Sure you have those stats from u/s measurements anyway.

I'm in MN too and coming up 3 weeks from today on the big castle visit.

Will be talking to Doc at pre-op I guess to make sure I get my own "glossies".

Thanks all!
-k.
Unread 03-16-2006, 03:10 PM

MJF2491 - I took a look at your pics. I'm curious, how big was your uterus? I have no idea what size a healthy one is. I have two orange sized fibroids and hope that Lupron will help shrink them before surg in September. I had considered asking if a vaginal hyster was possible but didn't understand that my cervix has to go to if I go that route. I've had 4 vag deliveries. I was under the impression that a cervix is a big part of enjoyable sex. Now I think that might not be the case. Anyway, sorry so long, and thanks for sharing the pics.

Sisters - thanks to all for making this journey easier.
Unread 03-16-2006, 03:27 PM

You can ask around about laparascopic hyst. My experience is that each surgeon recommends what they are good at (which is probably a good thing that they don't recommend something that they can't do!).

Anyway, I've been told I need a vertical incision, horizontal incision, etc. and it really depends who's tell me. I went to the BEST laparascopic guy in this state and he said my fibroids/uterus are too large to be removed laparascopically - but he didn't rule that out based on size alone. He actually did an exam to determine what "wiggle room" there was for a laparascopic procedure and determined that my particular pelvis area has NO ROOM left to enable the laparascopic route.

But I would still check it out. Your cervix can remain in that type of a procedure (or it can be removed too if necessary).

I too was surprised to learn that a vaginal hyst meant cervix had to go.

Keep reading! You're asking the right questions!

-k.
Unread 03-16-2006, 04:03 PM

Hi Popcorn! Guess what? I've already asked DD if she would take pics during the surgery, provided doc allows it. She has pics her hubby took of her c-sec, so I figured "Why not?" Got the idea from this site, actually. I just have to approach the doc about it. I want to know whats going on in there, what has caused me my troubles. So, nah, you're not crazy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register