Anyone else crazy enough to want pictures? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else crazy enough to want pictures? Anyone else crazy enough to want pictures?

Unread 03-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Anyone else crazy enough to want pictures?

I have pics of my lap, and I don't think it is strange to want to bury your uterus.

I am thinking about smudging my room before surgery- since during my recovery I will not be strong, and the negative energy that has been prevalent in since I can remember will have a chance to reassert itself...I can't have that.

THAT sounds nuts....

Hugs. T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2006, 04:55 PM

THANKS!!

-k.
Unread 03-27-2006, 05:18 PM

I never thought of that ! I would have liked to have seen mine. I think if I hand asked my DR he would have thought me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2006, 11:16 AM

I definately asked for pics, and would have loved a video..I watched while I had an angiogram, so I am into all that stuff...doctor just said to remind him, then I woke up in surgery room, and they showed me my uterus...very cool, then doctor brought me a contact sheet with color photos. I liked it, as I was able to confirm shape of uterus and reason for hysterectomy, as we were not positive it was absolutely necessary. Interesting to see all the other body parts, and to see ovaries looked fine and could stay in. Some people like looking at the pics, others are a little grossed out...good luck!! I had LAVH, cervix gone....
Unread 03-31-2006, 01:47 PM

I'll be asking on Monday!

I have a video of my hysteroscopy from long ago and it was fascinating to see the pristine insides of my uterus - all pinkish white and beautiful!

Wouldn't look that way again today I am sure with the enormous fibroids and triple-thick lining... but I too am interested in that stuff and want to see what that hard ball inside my abdomen really is...

Kind of like asking the mechanic to show you the old part so you know they actually removed it from your car - ha ha.

Anyway, we'll see what he says on Monday. Hopefully he'll oblige.

-k.
Unread 03-31-2006, 01:57 PM

I can just picture it...when I'm 80 years old and sat in my rocking chair by the fireside, with my hair in curlers and dentures in a glass next to my chair.....my boys drop by to wish me a happy birthday and I get out their old childhood photos, and there amongst them is a picture of my uterus....

"Oh Tom, Nathan....LOOK! This was your first home when you were both tiny babies"

I am really losing it today...sense of humor has gone wayyyy off the scale
Unread 03-31-2006, 02:06 PM

I asked my doctor if he would take pictures of my uterus and he said, "Absolutely!" His reaction made me think that this was not an uncommon request. In the recovery room he brought me photos that showed the uterus as a whole and sliced open (to reveal the fibroids inside). He kept copies of the pictures for my files and gave me copies to keep. I was so glad I requested this, as these pictures are each worth at least a thousand words. If I had had any doubts about whether hysterectomy was the right decision, these photos would have put an end to them immediately. Seeing what was going on inside me reinforced that I was in fact dealing with numerous, huge fibroids that were distorting my uterus and causing it to fill the entire pelvic area. It was shocking and disturbing to see what I had been putting up with for so long. I only wonder why I didn't have the surgery sooner. Good luck!!
Unread 03-31-2006, 02:26 PM

Thanks minkycat! I suspect that's how I will feel too.

Lev, I loved your portrait of a fireside story, complete with scrapbook collectibles. As I made my post, I could imagine some attic trunk full of xrays and "biology" videos being found some day by a grandchild and wondering what that would say about me as an ancestor - wild.

-k.
Unread 03-31-2006, 02:28 PM

I don't think there is anything crazy or sick about wanting to look at pictures at all....maybe that is partially because I worked in health care years ago, but I am also very curious and after my surgery I wanted to see what they got out of me as well because I wanted to see what was causing the problems. They didn't take any because I *did* ask....but I certainly was even *more* curious after reading my pathology report.
Unread 03-31-2006, 07:07 PM

I have to add that when a family member had their tonsils out they asked the dr. previously in the office if they could see them after they were out. After surgery we were told that they had already been taken to pathology :-( However he double-checked and he brought them in a jar for the patient to see and they were happy to see what caused the troubles.

As for my TVH, I was so happy that I was awake with a spinal/epidural combo so that I could see the uterus before it went to pathology to get cut up. I've noticed that others on here have been awake and did great. I had a drape in front of my face during the surgery so I couldn't really see a thing except for the anesthesiologist behind me monitoring me. He would occasionally ask if I was ok and I said I was. I didn't really have much of a conversation because I read on here that someone was awake and she talked so much that they got sick and tired of listening to her so the anesthesiologist knocked her out with something but not general which requires intubation. I really didn't want to be intubated and deal with a sore throat after surgery. Anyway I don't think it's gross to want to see a picture of the uterus.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register