Did anyone have a hysterectomy due to cancer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone have a hysterectomy due to cancer? Did anyone have a hysterectomy due to cancer?

Unread 04-24-2001, 01:23 PM
Did anyone have a hysterectomy due to cancer?

I am 32 and a cancer risk. I will not find out for a few weeks whether I need to have a hysterectomy or not. However, I want to make good use of my time.

I would like to research which are the best hospitals in my area, which do the most of this type of surgery, complication rates per hospital, etc, but haven't got a clue how to get started. It is advised everywhere that if you are facing something like this, this is what you should do, but nowhere do these same women's articles tell you HOW.

Anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2001, 01:41 PM
to researcher

My job entails a lot of research. My first response to a crisis is always to research it until it's not so overwhelming.

Have a hyst tentatively scheduled for June 4 and one of my problems is endometrial hyperplasia, which may be precancerous.

In WA State, not possible to get complication rates on hospital facilities. Made the headlines when the newspaper obtained a report on complication rates and let the public know the rates of local hospitals.

More important than the facility is knowing how long your doc has been doing the surgery, and how often he/she does it. Confidence in the doc is critical.

If you'd like to start researching, my suggestion is to check with the hospital accreditation boards and to look in the newspaper archives.

Good luck!
Unread 04-24-2001, 02:55 PM
cancer free

I am a cancer survivor. I have went through alot you may look back for a lot more detail if you choose. On March 27 th I had a LAVH. They took out the uterus and cervix. I had cervical cancer. I had surgery on Feb.9 which they did a conization,Laparoscopy,And D&C.
To make sure the cancer would be gone we(me,husband,and doctor) chose to go ahead with the hysterectomy so this would not reoccur its tough one time.I don't think I could go through this again.Its been 4 weeks today I am doing fine.Little bit of pain here and there but manageable. I would get all the info I could. I went were my doctor worked out of because I was in his hands.I trusted him with my life thats how I chose my hospital. I had alot of faith in him. Hope all goes well for you my prayers are with you.

I went back for my 2 weeks check-up and my biopsy for my hysterectomy came back 0 cancer. they got it all out on the first surgeryI was so happy.

Albie66(LAVH)March 27,2001 cervical cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2001, 02:56 PM

I had my surgery for cervical cancer. In my case, my GYN referred me the ONC GYN who did the surgery. My surgeon was highly recommended by my GYN, plus he is affiliated with one of the largest cancer centers in the Phila. metro area, although my actual surgery was done at a local hospital.

I work in the medical field, so was able to "ask around" about him too. That boosted my confidence level in him, but I have to say, the biggest deciding factor was my opinion of him. He took the time to talk with my DH and me, answered all of my questions, and described my options.

There are some web sites where you can check out a Dr's credentials and if he is board certified. I think WebMD.com is one of them.

Good luck and let us know how things go!
Unread 04-24-2001, 03:42 PM
Sereine...

I saw your other post and question to me and then ran across this. I have a few links you may be interested in and thought I would share.

http://www.gyncancers.about.com/

http://www.hystercity.com/illnesses.htm

If there is anything else I can help you with please feel free to email me as well!

{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 04-24-2001, 03:44 PM

Thanks. It really upsets me to think I might have to have this operation and end up with no uterus, no ovaries, and not be able to take hrt at the tender age of 32. I have been a virgin up until April 3 of this year. It is awful to think I might not be able to enjoy sex anymore, considering I haven't been able to enjoy it previously either.

Unread 04-24-2001, 05:28 PM
Sereine...

Honey...who told you that after a hyst you cannot enjoy sex? It is better than ever for me! I think that old cervix just got in the way!

http://www.newshe.com/

Here is another link for you. {Gee, I will having you reading as you are wheeled into surgery at this rate!}

If you have your ovaries removed and go into surgical menopause...as I did...there is lots of help! You may be put on low dose estrogen, you may be told you cannot take estrogen. We have the Hormone Jungle boards here for you to read through for help. There is the Desert Oasis board for those of us who cannot take estrogen. Here is another link regarding menopause.

http://www.yourmenopausetype.com/

Just call me 'Lady of the Links'

My sex life improved alot after my hyst. It is not easy to have a sex life at all when you are bleeding all the time!

Don`t you worry about it right now, Ok? We will help you! Your Dr. sounds like a gem, too, so how can you go wrong with all of us on your side!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 04-30-2001, 11:24 AM

Hey, thanks. It is nice to get back from 5 days at work and find encouraging words!! Especially since I cannot have my biopsy moved up any sooner and will have to spend the next 4 weeks in limbo ...

I have the *dearest* boyfriend, worth waiting 32 years for! so it is nice to know somebody's else's desire and pleasure in sex didn't just up and evaporate -- poof! -- out of the window.

Thanks again for the kind words and links and I hope you are doing well. I have a medical background so devour medical information like a billy goat ...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register