My 9yr. old got her period today in my husbands care | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My 9yr. old got her period today in my husbands care My 9yr. old got her period today in my husbands care

Unread 03-18-2006, 10:25 AM
My 9yr. old got her period today in my husbands care

I was in the hot tub and I heard my cell phone beep. I called my husbands number back and my daughter answered the phone. She said that when she was in the bathroom she saw blood on the toilet tissue. She said that dad went out to get her a pad from the truck (thank goodness I had some in there for emergencies). I immediately said "Congratulations" and she said "thanks". I think she's happy about it. She couldn't talk to much because her younger sister and brother were there but I did ask her if she was having any pain and she said no. Her stomach was bothering her for a few days about a week or two ago so I thought she was going to start then. She's not home yet but I don't know how I will handle her when she comes home. I'm glad that the dr. warned her and me that she would start within the year at a checkup last fall. I wonder if I should do anything special with her. We went out to dinner last night and she had chicken tenders (her favorite). I always wondered if her eating so much chicken that it could cause her to be developing so fast. Her hips widened about two months ago and she wasn't fitting into her school shorts so my husband took her with my son and other dd to get her more school shorts while my son is in sax lessons. I just wanted to make the announcement. Today is also the first day of Spring break for her so she has the entire week off. I was thinking oh no why did she have to start when she was on her days off from school. However maybe it's a good thing because she can get used to it while she's home.

We have a hot tub that we always go into everyday so I'm not sure if she will be able to go into it unless she puts in a tampon but I don't know if she's ready for that now. We were also going to do some practicing on swimming during the break but now I'm not sure what we will do. I also posted information with numerous responses of mine at this link. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showthread.php?t=94612 I'm so glad that I prepared her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2006, 11:38 AM

WOW, your daughter was young. My DD #1 was 11 almost 12 and DD #2 was 14 1/2. Since your daugher is so young, is she handling it well? I can't imagine many other girls in her class have started at that tender age. I agree with you...I heard that it is the hormones injected in our chicken and beef that is causing young girls to develop so much earlier than we did. Your baby is growing up!!!
Unread 03-18-2006, 12:15 PM

What a pity to have to experience this at such a young age. My DD was just turned 13 but very slight in build. The first summer she just didn't swim during her period but every summer since she tried and failed with tampons, at her request, even the really tiny ones. It was finally ok last summer when she had turned 17. I think her body was just too tiny, I think I would leave it a bit if I were you unless she wants to try. It is a lot to cope with in one go at nine, especialy remembering to change regularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2006, 12:24 PM

I posted on that other thread, but the most important thing you can give your daughter is love and a sense that she is wonderful and you adore her. Giving her some privacy, would help too. I wish I'd had a real mother, I grew up feeling like an orphan. My mom never liked me, I was like my dad, she said. It has effected my entire life.
Unread 03-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Confused about amount of blood

Well they came back home and my dh told me to have them try on new swimsuits because he wanted us all to go swimming later today. I asked hubby how were we going to swim when dd has her period and he said he doesn't really think she's had much bleeding. I took her into the bathroom and there wasn't anything on the pad at all. I'm not sure what's going on but she did draw me a picture of the size of blood she had and said it had a type of string attached to it on the toilet paper. Maybe her body is trying to have one but it may not be till tomorrow when she is a little heavier. Could a small dot of blood be a period? Now I'm confused. She also had her vagina close up when she was about ten months old and the dr. had to apply a type of estrogen cream to open it up. She said her stomach does not hurt. Maybe she isn't having her period????? Someone please help answer this if they know. Is a small amount of blood considered a period? Oh and she is taking the news pretty well. She doesn't seem to mind about it or think that it's bad.
Unread 03-19-2006, 04:08 AM

I don't really have any experience of this but could it be her hymen broken though exercise of some sort? My understanding is that it can easily happen. Probably worth a dr call just to ask a professional opinion after a day or so when you can see what's actually happening.
Unread 03-19-2006, 11:59 AM

Thanks marianni. I don't think it was her hymen because she denied any jumping up and down or doing something that would break it. She doesn't have any bleeding today at all but I did tell her to have a pad on during the night in case she started and couldn't make it to the bathroom in time the next morning. I'm glad that she is not bleeding now because we had a nice evening last night at the pool. Hmm.. maybe God is allowing her to take a break from it and she won't start till a little later??? I really don't know. She denies any pain or burning during urination. Maybe the blood just came out from her bladder instead? I really don't know. Anyway I'll keep you posted if she has anymore bleeding and will post on this post. I really hope that she is not bleeding when we go somewhere in May because we will definitely want to go in the pool where we will be on vacation. She is swimming so well and we have a surprise for them when we get to the resort. Normally we stay somewhere but this time (we haven't told them anything yet) we are staying at a resort with a pool and a waterslide sort of like a roller coaster right at the resort. I'm sure that they will want to do this. I have noticed in the past that when I went swimming the bleeding did slow down enough for me to swim. Why the bleeding slows down in water is confusing to me.

I really hope that she doesn't have any heavy bleeding. About a month or so ago she did have some brownish discharge and I was thinking that it may be old blood but wasn't sure. It's confusing. I do remember before I had any actual bleeding that I had a brownish discharge before the month that I bled. It may be soon that she starts bleeding more or maybe not. I'll keep you all posted. I'm just glad that she can swim this week. :-)
Unread 03-19-2006, 07:10 PM

When my youngest got hers she was kinda the same. Thought she had it because of some blood but never really got anthing. I think it was a couple more months before she accually got it. She is 13 now and is has been all most 2 years and she is still not regular.
Unread 03-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Smile - My 9yr. old got her period today in my husbands care Another update. She has officially started.

Thanks for the responses. I decided to call my dd pediatricians office and spoke with a nurse. I told her that the dr. said she would most likely start her period within a year last fall and she had some brownish discharge about a month or two ago and a little bit of blood during the weekend but then it stopped. I asked her if this meant she was getting her period and the nurse said it means she is starting and maybe in the next month or two she will start flowing more. I said "Even if she only had one spot of blood?" The nurse said yep her body is getting ready and she has officially started. Yea. She and I are both excited. I really hope that she has an easy time with it. I did but wasn't happy about the type of pads that my mom had for me. I bled through my pants one day at school and when I went to the nurse she gave me a bigger size pad and my mom came and brought me some new pants, underwear, and a new shirt. I went back to class and no one made fun of me. They took it easy on me and actually teased another girl who said she would probably cry if she got hers. I only wish it was easier to talk with my mom about it because she was so hush hush with me. Fortunately I have a variety of pads dd can try and I love the beingggirl.com as it has a pad finder to find the right size pad for girls. I clicked on this link below and then clicked on the piece of chocolate where it says have a happy period and it had some information. http://www.beinggirl.com/en_US/pages...questid=660189

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register