staples or stitches for TAH? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

staples or stitches for TAH? staples or stitches for TAH?

Unread 03-20-2006, 08:20 AM
staples or stitches for TAH?

I had internal and external stitches, and no staples. It's really doctor preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2006, 05:35 AM

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what exactly are staples?

I've never had either one! Have watched Dh or DS get a stitch or so, but never seen a staple (that I know of).

-k.
Unread 03-21-2006, 07:44 AM

I have internal stitches (don't know how many, but I guess it's a good question for my Dr next post op visit). Externally, my incision was "glued" together and steri strips placed over. I was very happy about this, had no problem with it - steri strips came off by themselves within a week and "glue" just sort of melts away on it's own. I was happy because I didn't have to have anything removed after surgery (this was my Dr's preference) and it worked out great for me. Good luck to all!
Lily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2006, 10:14 AM

i had stiches inside and stples on the outside had them removed in 7 days then steri strips are on now.staples didnt hurt or anything even coming out they didnt hurt.
Unread 03-22-2006, 04:06 PM

Hey Popcornkelly,

We don't learn if we don't ask. Staples are really just like they sound. They look like a staple you would use to attach papers to one another, except they're quite a bit thicker. They bridge the incision, entering the skin on each side. We asked and were told that they are made of stainless steel.

They're taken out soon enough that your skin doesn't have a chance to attach itself to the staples. I understand some women feel a bit of tugging when they're removed, but I didn't feel a thing.
Unread 03-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Thanks Ribbits, glad I asked so I know not to be shocked if I wake up and have shiny metal attachments!

-k.
Unread 03-22-2006, 07:54 PM

Stitches on the inside and then steri-strips on the outside
Unread 03-22-2006, 08:43 PM

my dr. tells me my incision will be about 6 inches and I will also have staples that will come out in 4 days after surgery . I still have to double check about that one. He said they are easier to have than stitches , that's why I can get up and take a shower so quickly after the surgery.
Unread 03-22-2006, 10:55 PM
No visible stitches or staples

I had a TAH on Dec. 7. My incision is about 6 inches long, with no visible stitches, and no staples. My surgeon used disolving stitches, and they are all hidden. One of my nurses told me he stitched me up like a plastic surgeon would. Once I'm done healing, there shouldn't be much there. As far as durability... I have had no problems, and have been very happy with the result. I do think each surgeon has their preference, and this is something you may want to ask about. Good luck!
Unread 03-23-2006, 09:43 AM

I am supposed to have surgery, and i was told that i would have a bikini cut....I have had 2 c-sections in the past ...and they are going to use the same cut line as before. i was not told if he was going to use staples or stiches ..but my question is do they determine what they are going to use by the body weight of the person.?? Compared to the other surgeries, i had both staples and inside stiches ...My mind has a new thing to wonder about??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register