General post op questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

General post op questions General post op questions

Unread 03-20-2006, 04:51 AM
General post op questions

Hello sisters,

I had a hyst because of rising CA125 levels. I regret it as I feel the op was totally unnecessary (see my post in the Post Op Forum). Wish I had known of this site before *sigh*

This maybe a dumb question: I was super healthy a´nd active before. You may ask, then why did I agree to an op - I have agnozed over that question the last 8 months. Yes I made a mistake. Post op I have severe depression. That said, physically I feel good in the sense that I have no pains (other than phantom pain where my ovary used to be), no problems with bladder and bowels. In other words I feel ok everything considering. I am no longer super physically active but I think that is mainly a depression thing. My Gyn has cleared me for all physical activity.

My question is: What must I do to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Here are some facts - I am 53 y/o.

Pre Op:
- very healthy - exercised regularly for the last twenty years. Life was good.
- diet was always fairly low fat. Not a total vegetarian but eat lots of fruits/vegetables and fish
Post op:
- severe depression - spent three weeks in a clinic
- can't get over my lack of female organs
- no desire to exercise but know I have to
- anti depressants and visits to the psychiatrist have not helped so stopped everything.

I am on oral hormones (estrogen and progesterone) now and feel a little better, no hot flushes and can sleep pretty well. I just do not have the same zest for life that I had and that is what I am looking to regain. On a positive note, I went for a DEXA bone density scan six months ago and had pretty good results. (I am very thin so have a higher risk). I know ovaries can still produce hormones sometimes 10 years after menopause, but I don't have that luxury. Right now my hips are fairly painful - probably due to lack of exercise these last six months. I remember getting on my bike 8 weeks post op and I just flew! Had never biked so fast and with so much energy! Go figure.

Some questions:
- diet - should I make any changes. I also have vitamin supplements, including calcium and magnesium
- exercise - yes I know I have to get back to my rigourous exercise routine. Gentle exercise was never my thing. I always liked something rigorous:
- thinning of vaginal walls - should I use an estrogen cream? My Gyn said it is not as firm as pre op.
- How much should I worry about osteoporosis and what more can I do? I think everyone who has had their ovaries removed will eventually suffer from osteporosis.
- prolapsed bladder post op - is this a given?
- Regular Gyn visits - what questions should I be asking my Gyn. She said I could take hormones for five years.
- And the dumbest question of all: Sisters do you think we have reduced our life expectancy and increased our problems with this op? Just curious!

Thanks sisters I know it is a mouthful, but I really need your input. My faith in doctors is zero. All in all this has been a very negative experience for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2006, 09:29 PM

((((Sweetie)))) I'm so sorry you've been having such a hard time since your hyst Hopefully you doctors and time will help and you'll eventually be able to put this past you

I had my hyst over 5 years ago due to a huge fibroid and rectocele. I did succeed in keeping my ovaries but I'm currently heading into menopause. I'll be 50 in September.

Where diet and exercise is concerned, there is never a bad time to adopt a healthy life style. Furthermore, as you've already stated, after menopause it is important to add calcium and other essential vitamins in order to ensure that we remain healthy. Some women also opt to include soy based products in their diet. Since weight-gain can be an issue, it is a good idea to limit our fat and carb intake.

Where exercise is concerned, you probably have been cleared to resume normal activities. Do be careful and start gradually, to give your body a chance to adapt to the new activity levels. You may even find that exercise will help ward off the depression, as it's known to bring a natural high

Where the bladder prolapse is concerned, while it's true that, when the cervix has been removed, we are at hightened risk for prolapse, the studies usually refer to pelvic floor prolapse (enterocele). However, if you're concerned that you may be at risk, please discuss this with your doctor.

I do send lots of s your way and hope that things improve for you in a very near future
Unread 05-04-2006, 05:43 PM

I am definitely no expert on hormone matters, but have you checked out your hormones to make sure they are at their optimal levels? I know from reading other posts that finding the right balance gives back a good quality of life for many sisters.

Also, given your age your body may be going through its natural menopause, so maybe thinking that you'd be experiencing these same symptoms even without the surgery may make you feel a little better. I know I had a really tough time getting my head around my decision to have a hysterectomy, but after finding a good hormone doctor to balance me out has made all the difference in the world.

Please hang in there and just take it one day at a time. As Dany suggested, getting more exercise may lift your depression. If not, think about your hormone levels and maybe a good therapist to talk about your surgery may make you feel better. Remember, we are here for you (you are not alone)!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the support

Thanks Dany and Hummingbird3,

...for your support

Am trying to get back into the norm but am finding it very difficult. I realize it is probably all psychological. I have tried therapy and anti depressants - nothing helped. Believe it or not I happened to mention it to my massage therapist yesterday and his words of encouragement and support meant more to me than any professional therapist.

I am steering clear of doctors. As my hyster-name implies, I still am very, very angry. Yes, I know it doesn't help but that is the way I feel right now.

I do most things I did pre-hyst - except for the exercise - I just don't have the same enthusiasm and zest for anything that I had before.

It could be normal menopausal symptoms. I feel, however that had I had a natural menopause I wouldn't be feeling this way.

Am going on vacation for 10 days but am definitely not in the mood.

*sigh* But life goes on. It must

Thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register