HELP...getting a cold...surgery tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP...getting a cold...surgery tomorrow HELP...getting a cold...surgery tomorrow

Unread 03-20-2006, 05:07 AM
HELP...getting a cold...surgery tomorrow

I am scheduled for a LAVH tomorrow and I am coming down with a cold. I have done everything to try to keep from getting sick...zycam, airborne, etc....and here I am a day before my sugergy feeling like crap and worried sick it will be postponed!!

Will my sugergy go forward if I have a cold??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2006, 05:36 AM
Tell your DR's!!!

Make sure you tell your DR''s everything going on with you and everything your taking to prevent your illness...

Do Not hesitate to postpone your surgery...better safe than dead...

Unread 03-20-2006, 08:39 AM

Hi, Sorry you are catching a cold. As long as you don't have a fever I think they will go ahead with the surgery,but I would talk with your Dr and let him or her know what is going on. Have you tried some nice hot tea with lemon and a little honey? Also taking a really hot shower will open everything up. Best wishes to you! Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2006, 09:02 AM

Sorry you're feeling sick! Call your surgeon, and check about taking vitamin C (the powdered form of C, called emergenc'C, works very well for me to stop colds in their tracks). C is usually allowed before surgery, but check first. The other things that really help are SLEEP--try taking off work and staying in bed today, and hot baths, hot showers, hot tea--anything to keep you warm. (Some studies suggest a slight increase in body temperature from hot baths, etc, help your body's immune system suppress viruses. Even if that's not right, they make you feel better, which surely helps). Sleeping as much as possible really helps your body heal. Good luck.
Unread 03-20-2006, 11:42 AM

So sorry you aren't feeling well! Call your doc and let him know what is going on and what all you have been taking and trying to keep the cold at bay. I also believe as long as you are not running a fever they will go ahead but double-check just to be sure. Good luck! Let us know what they tell you.
Unread 03-20-2006, 11:53 AM

I had a miserable cold when I had my surgery and they still did it. I was not running any fever and was also on a antibotic so I had no infection. My advice to you is to forget about all last minuite things you wanted to do today and rest, sleep and rest more. They will listen to your lungs and chest tommorow before your surgery, but make sure you tell them you are not feeling well.

Make sure you have a tummy pillow on hand all the time because sneezing and coughing are goona hurt like heck, and the tummy pillow does hurt.
Good luck and I hope you feel better and don't get canceled!!
Unread 03-20-2006, 12:09 PM

If you are coughing, they may postpone the surgery. They will listen to your lungs to see if you're chest is congested. Drink lots of water, call your dr and like the other ladies said, REST.

I hope you are able to overcome your cold and that your surgery goes ahead as planned.

T
Unread 03-20-2006, 02:53 PM

Hi, So sorry you are getting a cold. My surgery is friday and my dh had a sore throat and slight fever for 3 or 4 days finally ending on Sat. I was scared of also getting sick so i checked on getting zicam or airborne. I didn't get them because one had echanachia (sp) and I cannot remember the drug or herb the other one had but IS on the do not take list. PLEASE tell your Doctor what you have taken as some herbs either intefere with anesthesia or cause prolonged clotting times. I would much rather have to deal with delaying the surgery than taking a chance on your life. Good luck to you. Cindy
Unread 03-20-2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks, everyone. As several suggested, I called my doctor this morning and told her about my cold and that I had been taking Zicam and Airborne. She wasn't alarmed and said I could keep taking the Zicam. I'll go in tomorrow morning -- supposed to be at the hospital at 10 -- and if I have a fever or if my chest doesn't sound good, we'll postpone. Otherwise, since I'm really in the scratchy throat/post nasal drip phase, I may be okay. Tonight my ears hurt, but that happens when I have any head congestion.

My PLAN today was to work until around 2, then come home and take care of last-minute stuff. Then, when I felt so crappy, my plan changed to come home and rest. Unfortunately, I ended up in a meeting until 3, then had to drive more than an hour home. I'm in the recliner, my doggies nearby, and have put my boys and dh on notice that I'm doing NOTHING. I honestly don't have a good feeling about this...please, everyone, cross your fingers and toes.
Unread 03-20-2006, 08:05 PM

Make sure that when you tell them that you have a cold that you also mention everything that you have taken for it.... Some meds do make it hard to put you under. Good luck to you and I am so sorry that you are feeling rough. I hope that you come through with flying colors!

Teresa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register