Concerned about potential cancer cells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned about potential cancer cells Concerned about potential cancer cells

Unread 04-24-2001, 08:12 PM
Concerned about potential cancer cells

Hello Ladies,

I have found your postings very helpful and informative. I just needed to bounce a few questions off of some folks who have been in the same boat. In Nov. of 2001 my doctor diagnosed me with Atypical cells in the endometrium. She started me on a 3 month cycle of Progesterone. This treatment spurred a Pulmonary embolism putting me in the Hospital for 2weeks. While in the hospital they did a D&C to remove the uterine lining. They said the tests came back clear. My doctor told me that I am a High risk candidate for the cells to return. It has been two months since the procedure and My original symptoms are returning. I have read everything I could on hysterectomies to see the pros and cons of the procedure. I almost wish that my doctor will suggest it because I do not want to battle cancer. My doctor is hesitant because I am 30 yrs. old and overweight. I don't know what to hope for. My doctor tells me the cells will return eventually. I feel like my body is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode into cancer. The return of the original symptoms has escalated my concern. I am not panicking but I am weary of the interruption in my life. If anyone has been there I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,
Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2001, 08:39 PM

I had a hysterectomy on 4/19. Around 3 months ago,my ob/gyn told me my annual pap came back with severe dysplasia. After a leep, it showed carcinoma insitu. The Dr. felt he removed all the "bad" cells and that if it made me more comfortable, I should get a 2nd opinion. I immediatly went to a oncological gyn. He did 2 more scrapings and found no more cancer but told me a hysterectomy was still an option. I had the surgery last thursday. My pathology report came back today showing that I still had cancer cells that were missed even with all the biopsies I went thru. My Oncologist gyn said it was a good thing I had the surgery when I did instead of waiting. A very peaceful feeling.
Unread 04-25-2001, 04:12 AM

Have you spoke openly with your doctor about your concerns? There is nothing at all wrong with getting a second opinion. THis is YOUR body and you have to make sure that you are doing what is best for YOU! I can understand being in fear that everything will start all over again, and it is no life having to live in fear. Please talk to your doctor and think seriously about a second opinion....it couldn't hurt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2001, 07:48 AM

Hi Tina

My hysterectomy was on 3/16 for stage 1 uterine cancer. My diagnosis was a surprise for both my doctor and me. My cancer was found thru a D&C that was originally just supposed to be an operative hystroscopy to see if I had a fibriod or polyp interfereing with my attempts to conceive. I had had several ultrasounds over the course of my treatment, and only 1 technician "thought" he saw something, so we just figured we would do the procedure and make sure there was nothing there. My uterus looked very healthy and my doctor even showed me a picture when he was done to show how good it looked! Turns out he was wrong. Since my cancer appeared to be in the very early stages I had a lot of decisions to make. I guess my point in sharing this with you is that in making my decision about surgery, one thing the GYN/ oncologist said when discussing my options was that I could choose hormone therapy instead of surgery, but the only way to check the success of the hormones is with additional D&C's, and here's the kicker...a D&C can only check 60% of your utererine lining! That meant I would be gambling with what was growing on the remaining 40%!! That was a pretty scary thought. Like you, my doctors all told me that my body was creating a breeding ground for this type of cancer, and a hysterectomy was the only perminent cure, so eventually it would have to happen anyway. Obviously you know which choice I made, and I understand totally how hard it is for you to process all this new information you are getting, but just keep asking questions! I did not need radiation or chemo, which is a plus for catching it early, but it is still a lot to deal with on a daily basis. Good luck to you...I know you will find the answers you need to decide what is best for you.

kam (TAH for stage 1 uterine cancer, kept ovaries)
Unread 04-25-2001, 08:42 PM

Yeah, I was a surprise, whoops what's that, catch the cancer early, patient too. I'm also very overweight (though all my vital signs are good), but no one said a word before surgery, and the only who did was this icky Resident. Grrrrrr. The joys of surgery in a teaching hospital. Anyway, second opinions are always worth while. That's what I'd do. And I'd find an oncologist in an unrelated practice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register