pre op appointment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre op appointment pre op appointment

Unread 03-21-2006, 10:39 AM
pre op appointment

I dont know what to expect during my pre op appt. I have read some threads and all of them say something different. Can anyone tell me what happended at theirs?? Does everyone get a chest x-ray? Bowel prep? Exam??? Please help, already nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2006, 10:49 AM
pre op appointment

HI Sheen,
I had my pre-op last week. They weighed me (ugh!) LOL, took my height, drew blood and did a urinalysis. Thats all. No chest xray.
My gyn told me to do 2 fleets enemas tonight and nothing to eat or drink after midnight for surgery tomorrow. Hope this helps! Hugs Raymo
Unread 03-21-2006, 10:52 AM
pre op appointment

2 enemas? EEEEK...Raymo...I will be thinking of you today and tomorrow. Take Care. T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2006, 11:10 AM
pre op appointment

My pre-op was yesterday. They took 4 tubes of blood, and a urine sample. That was it! I kind of expected more. Oh and how course they wanted my payment.
Unread 03-21-2006, 11:13 AM
pre op appointment

It's hard to think of Hospitals as a "business" isn't it? And now, they want payment up front, no more "billing you". Luckily, my surgery is now 100% covered...the unneccessary LAP I had, put me over my out of pocket amount...so I don't have to fork over any cash on the 24th.... I forked it out for the LAP.

Good luck to all of you going in soon...Hugs. T
Unread 03-21-2006, 11:49 AM
pre op appointment

My preop is Thursday, I expect to give up half the blood which is currently in my body (lol), pee in a cup, and have any questions answered that you may have. The types and any options you may have for anesthesia may be discussed. I started a list of questions I want to ask at my preop. That way you won't be sitting at home later and remember 3 or 4 thigns you forgot to ask.
Good luck!!!
Unread 03-21-2006, 06:53 PM
pre op appointment

I had my final pre op appt today with my doctors nurse. Tomorrow I go for my blood work, chest x-ray & EKG (because I am smoker). Then nothing til the day of surgery. I have my bowel prep options - I havent made up my mind yet - the whole enema thing.... I wont know what time to be at the hopsital until the day before! I will get a couple of phone calls prior to going in to confirm everything. When I had my pre-op with the doctor, I had all my questions ready. Today I really didnt have any. When I pre-registered for my tests tomorrow the gal on the phone was great and even recommended an anthesiologist (her GYN is the same as mine & she was the same one I did everything with for my mamo). Every area and doctor is different is all I can say. I have phone numbers galore if I have questions. I just cant wait til the 19th - less than a month! And I have plenty to keep me busy until then.
Good luck!
Unread 03-21-2006, 07:56 PM
pre op appointment

Hey, I am not sure if it is the same or not but when I went for my pre-op for my Lap I had to pee in a cup, they took 2 small viles of blood (ouch) and then I had a sit down in my Doctors office and he went over what to expect. Kinda like a pre-op pep talk... Don't be scared of the pre-op most of the time there is nothing to it. It really all just depends on your Doctor.

Good luck and let us know how is goes...

Teresa
Unread 03-21-2006, 09:21 PM
pre op appointment

HI T,
since I had the stomach flu yesterday and still have the intestinal remnants (TMI) I only did one enema. Not much to come out since I have not eaten anything really since sunday night. (everything I ate for dinner that day was thrown up or pooped out) sorry!

Good luck to all the other March 22 ladies! Hugs Raymo
Unread 03-21-2006, 09:56 PM
pre op appointment

at my pre-op doc just listened to my chest (no xray since lungs were clear), actually did a pelvic exam to make sure my uterus hadn't gotten to big to still do the TVH, then had blood drawn, a urine analysis, and filled out massive paperwork which had alot of questions regarding meds etc. They didn't do an EKG until the morning of the surgery (because they had forgotten to do it at the preop) and it came out wierd and at one point I thought they were going to cancel my surgery, but the guy just said "so you can work out on an eliptical without getting winded?" and I said "yes" and he says "okay.... she'll be fine"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register