Epidural or General? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Epidural or General? Epidural or General?

Unread 03-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Epidural or General?

You girls are the best! I will talk to my doctor about all this tomorrow! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Thank you, Thank you!

Wow... thanks everyone for your feedback.
I've had a general in the past with no side effects, but I do like the idea of the epidural/spinal and being pain free right afterwards with the bonus of being able to be mobile quickly.

I guess I have something to think about over the next few days...stay tuned and I'll let y'all know how it went!

hystersisters rock!
Unread 03-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Epidural or General?

Ya Brit,
I am very interested to see how you make out! I never considered the Epidural but am going to ask about it! The Hystersister do rock!!!
Brit, are you nervous yet or ready to get this over and done with like me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Epidural or General?

Yep, I'm nervous but soooo looking forward to feeling normal again. Hmmm, can't quite remember what 'normal' feels like but I'm excited about having 6 whole weeks off wotk to get better. I've been telling everyone I'm going on vacation!

HysterSisters have definetaly helped reduce some of my fears, answered many questions and made me laugh.

The past few weeks have just dragged by but I'm taking it easy this weekend. I'm having a pedicure and my legs waxed on Saturday and taking the dog for a long walk on Sunday then finishing the day with a wonderfuly relaxing bath. You know, got to 'Pamper the Princess' !!

Do you have a surgery date yet?
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Epidural or General?

What an interesting topic. I didn't realize an epidural was even an option. Kudos to anyone stoic enough to do this!

I'm in the "need to be oblivious" camp I've had 4 surgeries under general and did okay, a bit of nausea after but nothing too dramatic.

I had an epidural in the thoes of labour. 26 hours and 3 epidural bags later I ended up having a c-section. I was semi-conscious during that. I don't think they gave me any extra sedatives, I was just in and out due to exhaustion. I remember the surgeon and my GP (who assisted) discussing last night's baseball game. I felt some pressure, it was an odd sensation. But, as mentioned above, I don't think it can be compared to childbirth, and they would give extra sedatives, etc.

If given the choice I'd stick with general, but if I was braver I would definitely opt for the alternative!

Best of luck to you!
Unread 03-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Epidural or General?

Before my surgery I really thought I wanted to have an epidural over general due to feeling horrible trying to wake up afterwards and I was scared of having to use morphine. My doc said the anesthesiologist would go over all my options before surgery so I was waiting to make my final decision after talking with them. However, that morning when I spoke with him, he only gave me the option of being knocked out and I didn't argue. Not like me, but I felt a peace about it so I went with it. I also had been giving a scope patch behind my ear for nausea and I get very relaxed after getting those.

After surgery, the only problem I had was waking up in alot of pain in recovery. I kept asking the nurse for something and she said she couldn't give me anything else. Finally, after what seemed like forever, but was only about 10 minutes I started to feel pain relief. Then I was taken to my room and given the morphine pump. It worked well enough and I just stayed relaxed the rest of that day. I didn't have any problems with nausea and was actually hungry that afternoon. I kept the nausea patch on for 3 days.

The next day I stopped the morphine and switched to toradol in my IV for pain management. And after that I was up and walking around some and felt pretty good.

Thinking back I would have been more comfortable with the epidural, but I survived without it too.

If you want it, make sure to ask for it or let your doctor know your wishes ahead of time. Good luck!

Ursula
Unread 03-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Epidural or General?

Hi. I think it depends on which surgery you are having. If you are having a LAVH or straight vag I am not sure it is an option. I am going in tommorow morning (friday) and was told general is the only way with the LAVH. Due to the gas and the possibility it could travel up and intefere with breathing. I guess they don't intubate with epidurals or spinals. Anyway, I am very glad for general, they will be proactive with the anti-nausea meds and I don't want to know ANYTHING about what they are doing untill they are done. Good luck to you. Cindy
Unread 03-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Epidural or General?

URsula,
I went to see my gyn today to talk about my upcoming hysterectomy and I mentioned this site to him & the talks about Epidurals. He said "no way", he knows me & he would knock me out! So I guess my minds made up! Glad to hear the morphine drip worked for you, he would put me on that also. I will get something for nausea too, I am afraid of puking! I should find out on Monday when my Castle day is.
Wish me luck because I am hoping for APril 5th which he mentioned to me, not April 26th as I don't wanna wait any longer!!!!!!!!!
Unread 03-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Epidural or General?

I'll keep my for the April 5th date that you wish for.
Unread 03-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Epidural or General?

I had a spinal and was so glad I did. All I remember was them putting an IV in my arm, rolling me into the elevator and looking up to see my husband there. I heard him asking the nurse how I came out of the anesthesia so fast and she told him that I had a spinal. He says "Wow that's awesome" and I started crying! I couldn't believe I had already had the surgery! I would do it again in a heart beat. Was able to get up and walk around right after the surgery. Now how different a spinal is from an epidural I have no idea. One piece of advice though if you end up having a spinal, you have a possibility of getting a spinal headache for a couple of days. Just lay flat and it will work itself through your body and go away.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register