I am having a PICC line installed for antibiotics...Need support!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am having a PICC line installed for antibiotics...Need support!!! I am having a PICC line installed for antibiotics...Need support!!!

Unread 03-22-2006, 03:51 AM
I am having a PICC line installed for antibiotics...Need support!!!

Well I don't know if I should laugh or cry....

I had a regular IV put in a week and a half ago for antibiotics and my IV kept popping out of my veins. As some of you may know I have had a repeated battle with what they are now calling celleulitis. Sooo off came the IV and I was put back on pills to see if they would clear up what tiny bit of the infection was left. The IV was doing a great job the bugger just would not stay in the veins. No luck with the pills within 72 hours the infection was back. Soooooo Plan B ( or C, D, E and F I've really lost count at this point) have a PICC line installed.

So I was thinking OK...I can do that...till they gave me a worst case scenario...I can develop a blood clot with this. I have a history with blood clots. I have only had one and it was in 2001 due to being on a high estrogen birth control pill. However it was enough to scare the crap outta me. Now after several consults with the nurses, I was told that's it's no more of a risk than changing IV arms every two days and I am at less risk for infections too.

So yesterday I went and tried to have a regular nurse install the line. They got me doped up with Ativan and numbed up with the gel, painted my arm with this pink iodine and away she went. Needle went in....the line didn't she hit a brick wall...tried to flush it out and it hurt. So this morning...I have to have radiology at the hospital do it where they can see my veins on an xray screen and follow where they brick wall is.

This all ends right???????? I know I am not the sickest on here...hell I researched PICC lines on here and of course most of them were in the Cancer Board where there are some brave and beautiful women who are going through alot worse than me. I feel like I have no right to be sad and scared, maybe I'm selfish but I want out of the medical system, I want to be rid of home nurses and home care workers, I want the boxes of medical supplies out of my bedroom. It's been over two months now. Two months of unending stress and torment. I have a job to get back to, a child who has lost more mothers in her life than any child has a right to ( my daughter is adopted) and is terrified I am not going to get well either even though I reassure her on a constant basis. A husband who I haven't felt intimate with for a long time. I want my life back.

I feel butchured, like I have lost control and ready to jump out of my skin from the anxiety I have. I need this to be over with so bad....sometimes I feel like I am being punished for doing something bad.

If you have read this far...........thank you and forgive me for what I have said. I just....needed to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2006, 05:35 AM

There's no need to ask for forgiveness. You have been through a lot, and that's what we're here for. Hope you are soon on the mend.
Unread 03-22-2006, 05:40 AM

's to you !!

You've been through a LOT.. Wow, I can't say I know exactly what you are going through, because I've not had all of those hurdles to jump, but I do know that God doesn't give people obstacles that they can't handle. I wish you all the best in your recovery, and I'll pray that you'll be heading forward in recovery, not backwards!!

God bless,
Twizz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2006, 05:40 AM

It will get better!, prayers coming your way, hang in.....you'll be just fine!......remeber "This too....shall pass!". Blessings to you!
Unread 03-22-2006, 08:22 AM

oh cranberry muffin. you poor thing. this has got to be exhausting. i understand the trials with patience. it is such a battle. i have found comfort in trying to find a reason spiritually. i truely believe that i have needed to slow down. i have needed to take more time for my family, and myself. i do different things with my family now. i am not so consumed with my deadlines at work. that has now taken the back burner. i worry about my job, but my main concerns are now playing games with the boys, actually speaking with my husband, and taking care of my body. basically, i think that god sent me a wakeup call. i have to say though, that i get it. i wish that he would hang up now. it will be eight weeks here pretty soon. i got a call from my doc last night and he said four to six more weeks off from work. (i am still fighting that one on the inside.) i do believe though that if we can find a reason for our situations, we can handle them better. i will pray for your speedy recovery. i will also pray for your grace, and for perspective to come to you. these help me, and i hope that they help you also sweetie! god bless. heather
Unread 03-22-2006, 08:24 AM

Bless your heart. Sending lots of prayers and hugs too.
Get better and get lots of rest
Kim
Unread 03-22-2006, 08:40 AM

I am so sorry. I had a rough time too - but I'm pretty much 'normal' for a hysterectomy patient now that I'm at my 7 week mark.

To still have to be dealing with it as long as you have is enough to have me get shaky and sit on the couch in sympathy for you.

Debbie
Unread 03-22-2006, 10:03 AM

{{{{{CRANBERRY MUFFIN}}}}} no need to apologize at all..........you have been through SO MUCH and continue to handle it all with amazing courage it WIILL get better ;just taking some time is all...........please just continue to take it "one day at a time" and you`ll get through this..........sending you my prayers that you`ll continue to go forward with your recovery and that God will comfort you now with His presence please keep us posted on your recovery..........MANY {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}} Renee
Unread 03-22-2006, 10:12 AM

Hang in there Cranberrymuffin. It will get better. I am only 12 days post op with this surgery, but I know from previous (major) surgical experience that healing can take a LONG time. You've done your research on the PICC line, and they are very safe for the most part. Just be sure to look for ANY abnormal signs such as swelling. It is a good thing you are having a radiologist put it in. They are the most competent and with the use of the xray, they can make sure it is properly placed. Take care. I am sending lots of positive thoughts your way.
Jennifer
TAH/BSO
Unread 03-22-2006, 10:17 AM

Thank you ladies for your wonderful words of encouragment and prayers. I love you all!!

The PICC line insertion was pure hell. They had problems with my veins and they kept hitting nerves and it was not good. However we pressed on and we got it in. I am at home exhausted and sore. I hope this works...I can't imagine what I would do next...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register