WOW I am in shock | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

WOW I am in shock WOW I am in shock

Unread 03-22-2006, 10:18 AM
WOW I am in shock

Hey girls I hope everyone is doing well. I was wondering if anyone else was a little shocked at how loooooonngg the recovery is for this. I have had 4 c-sect, gall bladder removed, hernia repair,tonsills (last year) and wisdom teeth (last year) and Corpal Tunnel surgery on both hands and I was a wake. This has been by far the worst thing I have ever been through in my life. I told my hubby 2 nights ago what have I done. I know in my heart it is going to get better but wow when. I read some of these post and so many people have recoped so quickly. My tummy is still so swollen I think I will be wearing sweats FOREVER Does anyone else just feel fat. HHHHHHHEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP My kids and hubby keep telling me how nice I look but I still feel like I was hit by a truck. Sorry I just had to vent a little. Thank you so much for listening.
HUGS Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2006, 10:30 AM
WOW I am in shock

Hang in there, Kim. Around day 14 or 15, I woke up feeling great and it has gotten better every day. . While I'm still not 100%, I'm back to doing almost everything, and I'm feeling very good. .

And, I know you're probably tired of hearing this by now, just listen to your body and don't overdo. It really does get better.
Unread 03-22-2006, 10:31 AM
what kind did u have

what hysterectomy proceedure did u have, i too have had 3c-sects, and my healing, tho it has only been 1wk, is comparable to the c-sects. I'm lucky and my cycles were way worse than the hyst. with my cycles i couldn't even walk, had dysmenorria and menhagorria, so the more i did walk the more it hurt. i saw you had yours on 3/7, mine was 3/15 so i can sympathize even tho i'm not hurting like that. hope u feel better too, i wonder if the procedure has anything to do with the amount of time you hurt, mine was a tvh kept ovaries, he did remove a cyst on my left one and that hurt worse than anything. it is shocking the difference in recovery that i have read as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2006, 10:33 AM
WOW I am in shock

This is "major" surgery. Of course you are going to be sore and feel like you were hit by a truck. Two weeks is still early in the recovery process. Some people do seem to bounce back quickly, but most of us do need the 6-8 weeks recovery period. I truely didn't feel completely myself until 6 months out. Take it easy and rest as much as you can.
Unread 03-22-2006, 10:35 AM
WOW I am in shock

yup.
THE WORST THING! I understand completely.

It is a humbling experience. I have never been knocked down so hard for so long. I feel ashamed of myself for all the impatience I've had through my life with people who wanted to tell me about their rough times with major operations...I was not the most sympathetic listener. I will be now! They weren't exagerating or hypochondriacs as I had thought.

I am wearing the jeans that fit me through my sixth month of pregnancy, my skin is still a mess, I get tired and forget things....enough already!

My kids told me last week how nice it was to have me laugh again. I felt like such a louse and a grouch when heard that.

Debbie
Unread 03-22-2006, 10:50 AM
WOW I am in shock

I had no idea how long this would take...
but for me 4 months was the turning point...my hormones
are finally balanced, I'm walking and I'm sleeping great again.
It WILL get better. Seems to be a different time table for different
people.

SiameseCatGirl...have you ever heard of North Rose, NY?
It's about 45 minutes East of Rochester...
that's where I was born and raised!
I miss it...time for a visit!

Pooch
Unread 03-22-2006, 11:12 AM
WOW I am in shock

Thanks girls I know if will get better but I usually bouce back to much faster. I just was not prepared for this. Thank you so much for all the support.
Love Kim
Unread 03-22-2006, 11:16 AM
WOW I am in shock

indyramsfan, I know how you feel. My surgery was 3/8/06 and I still feel like crap. About the time that 1 thing may feel better it seems something else is bothering me. I was being treated for ibs prior to my lavh/bso...and I am still having problems with that. I am either drinking prune juice, milk of magnesia, using suppositories, to the extreme of an actual laxative because I can't take the pain and bloating anymore. My stomach is so swollen that all I have been wearing in pj's. Take pain meds around the clock...I have never really had any surgery prior, only tubal and knee surgery last year but this is awful....I had second thoughts prior to having it and regrets now about recovery. Don't even want to think about returning to work...I am so tired but also tired of laying in bed, on the couch, in recliner....It is terrible
Unread 03-22-2006, 11:22 AM
WOW I am in shock

My Surgeon went to great lengths to explain just how major this surgery is. Heart surgery patients are up and around long before hysterectomy patients can do the same.

You're only a couple of weeks post-op ... that is such early days. Just relax and take things easy. These intial weeks of recovery are absolutely vital ... you don't get them over again.

Just bear in mind that healing, from this surgery, takes months, not weeks. Pamper and hang in there!

Unread 03-22-2006, 12:44 PM
WOW I am in shock

OMG! I am NOT alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes I have felt like such an underachiever because of how bleecky I've felt after reading about how wonderful others are feeling and how quickly they are healing. I bounced back quickly after a major back surgery last summer and just KNEW that I would do the same after "this little" procedure. (Seriously, that's how I used to refer to it!) It is astounding at just how far down this thing knocks you. No kidding! Some days I have just sat and cried from sheer frustration! I have had a glimpse of what feeling better will be like, but then seem to fall right back into feeling like hell again and in near constant pain. This too shall pass....it has to!

Not glad anyone is hurting, just glad to know that I am not alone.

Can't wait to again,
Christie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register