Rectocele question - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele question Rectocele question

Unread 04-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Rectocele question

Just to add my thoughts....I too had surgery for a rectocele. At first my regular gyn said she didn't see anything and I didn't need surgery. I had surgery in 2000 for an enterocele and rectocele. Last year I wound up going to a uro-gyn and he saw what I felt and did surgery. Prior to surgery, I had a colonoscopy. It was normal and caused no additional problems. Since surgery, I take stool softeners daily. I have found I don't have the control I had before surgery and get gas often that will "escape" when I don't want it too and when I have to go, I have to go right away. Don't know which is worse not being able to go or going fast whenever. It's always something once this situation starts and surgery doesn't always correct all the problems. Sorry if this sounds negative. It's just I am still dealing with complications since surgery in June of last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Rectocele question

I too had surgery for a rectocele and cystocle on the 14th of March. I still feel like the stool is stuck sometimes and the beginning of alot of Bm's are hard and like little balls. Does that mean my rectocele is back? I am taking stool softeners and all but it bothers me about the hard stool, like it is getting stuck. Thanks Sue
Unread 04-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Rectocele question

Sue,
Are you still taking pain med's - they can cause your stools to be hard. Also I've found that certain things I eat can make me have hard stools - I had to give up caffeine, so I tried eating licorace, jelly beans, gummy bears - nope can't go at all if I eat those - still searching for a good replacement for my chocolate. And peanut butter is a major no, no for me.
Drink lots of water and talk to your doctor, you don't want to push - maybe you need to add a laxative or something like that. I'm sure everything is still swollen inside. Hugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Rectocele question

Thanks, no pain meds, just colace, citrecel (sp) lots of water, pears, yada yada, the rest of BM is very soft only the very beginning. Yea, making sure I dont push is hard.............an sometimes it feels like my rectum is falling too..............Thanks Sue
Unread 04-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Rectocele question

Hi Sue! Bowlinggrl is right, you really don't want to push or strain with BM's. I experienced the same thing you are having now after my prolapse repair. I ate lots of fiber, drank the water, took the stool softener and I still had a hard time. The beginning of the stool was hard the rest was soft. The sad part of my story is that the sutures started coming out within 2 weeks postop. The tissues never had a chance to granulate together and the cystocele and rectocele repairs failed. The Drs feel that my body rejected the sutures but the straining was a major cause of the problem. I am having prolapse revision in 3 weeks. I just received the postop restrictions and there's a big section for bowel protocol. I have to start taking Colace once a day one week before the surgery. After the surgery I am to increase the Colace to twice a day and take milk of mag at night before bed. Believe me I will do whatever it takes to keep from straining again. This has been a very long road, one I don't wish to travel down again.
Michelle
Unread 04-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Rectocele question

I dont see my doc until the end of month, how will I know if the sutures came out, would I have been able to see them? I took MOM for the first couple days, but got bad cramping and liquid. maybe it was the citrecel? But that was the only thing that helped me have one. I guess the doc will be able to tell when I go. I have had hardly no bleeding and not very painful. Does that mean that my stiches have healed or dissolved by now? Sue
Unread 04-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Rectocele question

Hi Sue,
My first suture came out about 2 weeks after the surgery, it was a perfectly knotted cream colored stitch. A few more soon followed. Then I could feel an irritation, a pulling against my underwear and when I looked with a hand mirror a few more sutures had loosened and were hanging out of my vagina. I had to go to see the Gyn a couple of times to have him clip the sutures because they never dissolved, they just kept coming out and poking me. I was told that it can take up to 6-8 weeks for the sutures to dissolve. I did have some yellowie/green discharge for awhile and that is caused from dissolving sutures.
I'm sure you're postop visit will be fine, just keep those BM's soft.
Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register