Long story....Long recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Long story....Long recovery Long story....Long recovery

Unread 04-25-2001, 09:05 AM
Long story....Long recovery

On March 29th (2001) I had aTAH after many months of trying to resolve my menstrual problems. It started last November when I complained to my regular doctor that I could not handle the constant bleeding and cramping, it was interfering with my busy life. She suggested that we do a full check up and run some tests. What I ended up first was finding a begnin tumor in my left breast, then an ovarian cyst. After two months of back and forth to my regular doctor and my GYN, I picked up pneumonia and spent two and 1/2 weeks recovering before I could make other decisions. Finally, because the ovarian cyst had resolved itself after a month, my GYN told me about a procedure called a endrometrial-oblation. It seemed like a good option for me and my busy lifestyle because it was outpatient surgery and I had a good chance it would eliminate or reduce my periods to 1 -3 days. The GYN was certain that the ovarian cyst was due to endrometritist(SP?). Because of the pain I was experiencing with intercourse and during menustration he was also going to do a laparoscopy at the same time to take a look. I had previously had 2 c-sections and a bladder surgery at the same site and he thought I could have some adhesions he may be able to take care of too. On February 15th I had this procedure done and the doctor was taken by surprise by what he found. He could not complete the oblation because he could not properly reach the cervix. In fact in placing the laser instrument in, he punctured the uterus and caused me to hemmorage. I had a massive amount of adhesions which had pulled the uterus upwards. He stopped the procedure, cleaned up what adhesions he could. My bladder and uterus was stuck together and he could not fix that. I was so disappointed that we really did not accomplish what I had gone in for. He took pictures and I was so amazed (once he explained). He said that he would talk to me with a follow-up exam in 4 weeks and decide our next step. I knew then my only options would be a TAH. Two weeks after this procedure I was at work, (two days after the big Seattle earthquake) I was at work and hemmoraged. What a scary and embarrassing ordeal. I was rushed from work by ambulance to the local ER. I spent a day in the hospital for them to tell me that it was just a really bad period and released me. My doctor's partner was on call and saw me there and told me it was just time to have this done. So, I was in to see my regular GYN the next week and we scheduled a time to do my TAH. So, here I am waiting for the recovery to end and be back to my regular self. After the surgery I had some complications with the pain medications, morphine depressed my oxygen intake and they had to remove it and give me other drugs. I found out later that the nursing staff made some medication errors and over dosed me on the morphine. I have my four week check up this week. I have been experiencing some pain, but mostly stomach problems such as gas and constipation. I am still really tired. I am not ready to go back to work and I hope that when I seen my doctor this week he will say I have another 2 weeks at home to recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2001, 10:10 AM
Long story....Long recovery

Pugetsound - Boy, you've sure had a rough year. Glad you're home and recovering. I'd say you deserve some more time off I went back 1/2 days at 7 weeks...couldn't of handled it any sooner...and starting back part time was best for me. I was ready for bed and heating pad when I got home.

Sending healing thoughts your way.
Unread 04-25-2001, 10:45 AM
Hi Pugetsound from a WA State Native....

Hi,
I grew up in Port Orchard, so hi from one rain sister to another.

When you go in for your four week, ask the doc to keep you out longer--I was oversedated with a spinal (anesthesiologist error) and it took me a while to get it all out of my system (I was in recovery 4 1/2 hours, on oxygen for two days).

I stayed out of work six weeks and was glad that I took the full six weeks off!!!! With all the complications you have had you need the rest.

Keep your feet up and keep resting....best to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register