One Week Post-Op... and feeling great! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One Week Post-Op... and feeling great! One Week Post-Op... and feeling great!

Unread 03-23-2006, 10:03 PM
One Week Post-Op... and feeling great!

My TAH was Thursday 03/16 in the morning. My pre-op appt and pre-admitting for the hospital was the Monday prior. Going into this whole thing I had faith in my DR and his abilities (prior experience) - and I didn't worry about things mostly because of my faith in God, and partly because I believe the act of worrying doesn't help a situation. This put my mind at total ease.

Pre-Op: Did not have any diet restrictions or bowel prep. The only instrucs were nothing after midnight.

Day-of-Op: Was 10 minutes late arriving (of course), but was thoroughly taken care of. Got an IV for all the wonderful drugs I'd receive, and was told a catheter would be inserted after I was under. Don't remember a thing from about 2 seconds after the anesthesiologist said 'hi again' in the OR :-D

Remember waking in recovery and them telling somebody to call my DH to meet us in my room.

Incision was made as small as possible (even if DR had to work a bit harder getting things out) - ended up being 4-5" long, and he uses several layers of invisible dissolving stitches for all his surgeries, so no staples to deal with! Ovaries looked really good so kept them.

Loved the catheter and the pain med pump - followed DR's orders and used it often.

Night nurse gave me the option of trying first walk at 10p Thursday night or 5a next morning - opted for 10p and walked w/ her help to the nurses station and back. But dang it's a lot of work to get that pole all set up to take with you... especially when the pee bag is attached... how embarassing...

Catheter came out Friday morning, so then I had to get up to pee - but walked laps every time I peed (kept remembering the mantra about keeping moving for gas and pooh!). Also drank a coupla cups of peppermint tea. Pooh and gas came Friday night - yeah!

Got released Saturday afternoon (DH had already filled my prescrip for pain meds at home), and did the 25 mile drive home... the last 11 were a bit rough because the road is (even w/ DH going as slowly and carefully as he could) I could feel more than I woulda liked.

Used generous amts of pain meds (DR suggestion to not wait till it was bad to take them - much harder to 'catch-up' than to stay on top of it). Then started alternating pain meds and ibuprofen w/ longer time between doses. Hardly using any pain meds now.

Started walking again indoors right away, then snowstorm (18") on Sunday/Monday made me wait to go outside till DH had snowblown the driveway and some paths for me to walk on (supervised by DH of course!) wearing some lighweight hikers and trekking poles. Going outside was a huge psychological boost - fresh air and tons of birds flying about - a wonderful emotional lift.

My recovery has been incredibly smooth and easy so far - I know I have been blessed a bunch on this. The hardest part was for me to depend so much on DH to do almost everything for me so I wouldn't overdo it - and he's been incredible throughout. And I take the DR's advice - use common sense and listen to your body... it works very well :-)

This has been a 'War & Peace' post, but I do want sisters to know that things can and do go very well and smoothly. Be aware that things can change, but I do believe in a positive attitude playing a big part of almost everything - particularly illness, recoveries, etc.

May all my sisters be blessed w/ great surgeries and recoveries!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2006, 10:15 PM

hi..l'm so glad everything is going well with you and i agree... a positive attitude does go a long way!
Unread 03-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Me, too!

Lapak,
I had my LAVH the same day that you did (I, too, kept my healthy ovaires) and I feel surprisingly great as well. Congratulations!! Doesn't it feel wonderful to be a week out? I think walking was the key. I got up out of the hosptial bed as quickly as I could (thanks to DH's help getting everything unhooked) and not only did it get the bowels moving but it assisted getting the last remnants of anesthesea out of my lower lungs (which helps immeasureably at 8300 feet above sea level). Keep up with the great recovery and I wish you a lovely spring (we got a snow storm here in Colorado Sun/Mon as well)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2006, 09:42 AM

Oh how nice!..l would love to have snow storm right now..l love to watch them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register