pre-op emotions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-op emotions pre-op emotions

Unread 04-25-2001, 11:14 AM
pre-op emotions

I am having my surgery Friday morning. the past several days I have been forgetful, emotional (cry at the drop of a hat) and sort of disassociated feeling. Is any of this normal befor the operation? I am havong an abdominal. I am 41, never had children, but the severity of my periods has finally brought me to this. Should I be having vaginal instead? I do plan to keep my ovaries, I'm not sure about the cervix, I will be discussing that with them today at my pretesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2001, 11:29 AM
Don't worry

Hi Susan:

Not to worry, what you're experiencing is completely normal. I was exactly the same way in the days before my hyst and have spoken with so many sisters who've experienced the same thing.

As far as vaginal goes, I don't know your specific situation, but as I was 37 and had never had kids my doc told me that my uterus had not descended and could not be removed vaginally. I had an abdominal and it was fine. I'm four months post op and have a thin scar right in the fold of my hip area that's barely noticeable. I had my cervix removed too and have noticed no difference sexually or otherwise so I'm glad its gone.

Hope this helps. Just take deep breaths and try to stay as calm as possible. You're going to be just fine and we'll be here with you every step of the way.

Galen
Unread 04-25-2001, 11:50 AM
pre-op emotions

Hi Susan,
I had a vaginal and have never had kids and everything went just fine. My dd said if I was too narrow inside to get the uterus out, then an abdominal would be done. When I woke up, no scar! I was glad to have the vaginal because I do believe recovery time was easier/faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2001, 12:37 PM
pre-op emotions

Hi,

I have two kids and am 31. endo pain for 17+ years. My surgery is less than two weeks away. I feel like I am "nesting". Everything is running fast, my blader, my leggs and my mouth. I'm in overdrive...

Just part of the ride I suppose. We will come out the other side and be better people for it. I am sure that life is nothing but a a sequence of these processes

God bless you.

Unread 04-25-2001, 12:42 PM
pre-op emotions

Hi Susan,

Only your doctor can answer the questions you are having regarding going vaginal or abdominally. You should speak with him/her regarding you concerns and reservations.

I can tell you that all of things you are feeling emotionally is absolutely normal. Hang in there and we'll be saying our prayers for you
Unread 04-25-2001, 04:52 PM
pre-op emotions

Susan: I am going in tomorrow morning, had my meltdown yesterday morning thanks to thoughtless, nosey questions about how I was going to "handle things" which of course I have been struggling with, without "helpful" people reminding me! Today, however, I am fully calm. I even produced a ditty and posted it this morning called, "Going to the Castle" and sung to the tune of "Going to the Chapel". Nothing brilliant but making light has helped and now I can't get the tune out of my head--try it! It makes me laugh...

I, too, have suffered cruelly with menstrual cramps all these 30 years. I never had kids. I did have two laproscopies, endometrial ablation, exercise, positive thinking, nothing has worked. I've gotten over trying different approaches, no longer feel guilty for "elective" surgery, and never, repeat never, felt it was "all in my head". So, I'm going in for major surgery without guilt about not being strong enough to wait for menopause--I've earned a few years of normal living.

Hang in there and I'll meet you On the Other Side!

Kerri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register