I freaked over THIS? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I freaked over THIS? I freaked over THIS?

Unread 03-25-2006, 11:31 AM
I freaked over THIS?

Hello Ladies -

I had a TAH Tues, 3/21/06 and came home Thurs. afternoon. The freaking out and the worrying I did preop were by far worse than the actual surgery experience. I went into this surgery willingly and was even a bit excited to think NO MORE AUNT FLO! No more Phyllis the Fibroid (I told the nurse I was having a Phyllisectomy), no more stocking up tampons, maxi-pads, mini-pads, extra-long pads, wings, wingless....oh for heaven's sakes the crap we ladies endure!

EVERYONE involved with my surgery was female. The only man I saw was my sig. other! They were the most caring and compassionate people you can imagine, including my SO. The anesthesiologist came the day after surgery to see how I was feeling. I had a nurse and a CNA the whole time I was in the hospital. When they would come in to check on me, they'd sit and we'd talk. Talked about our hobbies, talked about our families, and we laughed... a lot!

I haven't read this on this site before and maybe it will help some of you pre-op ladies. After surgery I had horrible gas pains, worse when sitting up in bed. I had excruciating pain in my right shoulder the day after surgery, and luckily my surgeon popped in right when it started. She explained it was a gas bubble, probably trapped under my diaphragm, causing referred pain to the shoulder. She told me to lie on the affected right side, left side up. I did. Within minutes the pain was gone. She then told me to lie in (her words) Prime Farting Position, otherwise known as the PFP, which is left side down, right side up, bed flat. It works! Chewing gum helped a great deal, too. Bring bubble gum - it's more fun!

I went in expecting only my uterus and that witch, Phyllis, being removed but woke up to found I had a grapefruit sized dermoid cyst in my right ovary, so the ovary was removed. The left ovary was not as big, but it is questionable as to whether or not there is something going on. An ultrasound in 6 weeks will be done. If it needs to come out, it will come out laparoscopically. One thing at a time.

I was up and in the shower the day after surgery. No medicine on the planet makes you feel as good as a hot shower and washed hair. I walked a lot in the hospital, it got the gas moving, it got me out of bed, and it's so funny, but all us walking wounded would get cheered on by each nursing station we passed! Walking helped just as much mentally as it did physically.

Chapstick and hand lotion were a must in the hospital. Those pre-moistened face wipes to remove make up were also a great help - even when I didn't have on makeup - they felt great. I brought a mirror so I could do the lipstick thing in bed without looking like Bozo. All the things I needed near me I kept in a very small tote bag which I clamped to the bedrail with an adjustable plastic clamp you can get at WalMart or a hardware store. Loose fitting socks were a great help as were my own PJ's. My oxygen, IV, and Foley were all removed the day after surgery. I have some very lovely stitches and Steri-Strips, the stitches will disolve so there is no removal needed. I have a lot of swelling below the incision, which makes for an interesting view when looking down while in the shower! I still don't have a big appetitie - I'm favoring breads, puddings, etc. I have managed to suck a few iced coffees down though, the first being on the way home from the hospital!

Another thing that may help postop while at home for constipation, given to me by my surgeon, is "The Recipe". It is equal parts of unprocessed bran, prune juice and coarse applesauce. It can be mixed up and refrigerated for one week. You take 1 to 2 tablespoons/day to prevent constipation. PLEASE ask your doctors if this is OK. I am starting that today, so I can't tell you how it works. It HAS to taste better than Milk of Magnesia.

A sense of humor is a great healer. I know that can be a tough thing to maintain when faced with some scary decisions. Please remember your healthcare providers, including the transportaion and cleaning people in the hospital. I brought candies for the OR staff as well as for those on my floor. You'd have thought I brought them gold. I commented on the beautiful earrings the cleaning lady had on and she sat down next to my bed and told me the story of how her granddaughter bought those for her and that she wore them every day because they meant so much to her. She was so happy to tell me the story, and it made me feel better to think I now know a little bit about that nice woman whose been cleaning my room. After complimenting on her shamrock fingernails, I learned that the woman who brings the menus from the cafeteria has her nails painted to reflect the current holiday or season. That she grew up in the Brooklyn and now lives in rural Maine. The conversations enabled me to get to know those involved in my care. It also broke the boredome and took my mind off the fact that if I had any more gas I'd float up to the ceiling and they'd have to knock me down like a pinata.

Good luck and best wishes to you all. Your worrying and anxiety are the worst part. Too much time to think. Keep coming to this site - I will forever be greatful for all the advice, support and information that only others experiencing the same thing can provide. You ladies are the best inspiration and comfort. Thank you to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2006, 11:50 AM
I freaked over THIS?

Thank you Thank you---What a lovely "Sharing of your time at the castle". Now I have to go and buy treats-and chapstick and I probably have hand lotion, not really a lotion person but will take what I have. I do have gum.

Thanks again and if my time there is half as pleasant as what you describe--I will be happy............minus the gas!!!!!
Unread 03-25-2006, 11:52 AM
I freaked over THIS?

home from the ! Glad to hear you are on the mend. Your sense of humor and upbeat attitude is sure to help you along nicely in your healing process.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It helps us LIW to relax a bit.....at least it does me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I freaked over THIS?

Wow! What a fantastic experience-sharing post for all those facing this lovely procedure. Wish I'd known about that PFP before! We need to keep bumping this up for our cysters to read.

Thank you!
Unread 03-25-2006, 12:19 PM
I freaked over THIS?

Welcome Home NellieNel!
Wow! What a great experience you had. I have my TAH on Monday and can only hope mine goes as well as yours. My surgery isn't until 3:00 in the afternoon. I wonder if I will come home on Wed. or Thurs. What time was your surgery?
Thanks for sharing your story it really helps us ladies in waiting!
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:16 PM
I freaked over THIS?

thank you thank you! that is exactly what I needed to hear...
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:29 PM
I freaked over THIS?

Resah -
My surgery was at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, I was in my room around 1pm and discharged 48 hours after that on Thurs. Amazing to think we can have major surgery and be back home so quickly.

I did not mention this in first post. I had a C-section 18 years ago. This has been FAR easier than that C-section.

As for the lotion Midwestcaregive, the soap my hospital used was so drying to the hands, I found the lotion a great help for that - kept it in that little tote bag of mine.

I hope all of you will be posting your great experiences as well. I always found them a huge help when having a freak out moment preop!

OK - it's back to the couch in the PFP with some DVDs!
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I freaked over THIS?

Kay....maybe I'm a little 'duh!' but what is PFP?
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:38 PM
I freaked over THIS?

Shutter her first post stated it as ----""""prime farting position""""""!
Thats the short answer---left side then right--go and read third paragraph again.

You been shopping today yet?? I have to tell you that I love to shop and find a bargin. Well went to Macy's the other week--and caught all the winter garb on sale. Found a robe and 2 pain of pj's --150. retail price. after sale price 32.00 dollars but that's not all I had a 10.00 off coupon which brought it down to $22. on top of that had a 50. dollar gift card. So I felt really smart. So what if one pair of the pj's were a christmas motiff I wanted flannel and soft and so happy with them. Here's hoping you find what you want and at a sale price.
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:59 PM
I freaked over THIS?

Love the PFP info. Thank you for the information and advice. It's all wonderful. Now to make sure I remember it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register