Question about getting released from hospital - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about getting released from hospital Question about getting released from hospital

Unread 03-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Question about getting released from hospital

You KNOW that nurses HAVE to have a sense of humor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2006, 07:29 AM

Hubby was there when I passed that milestone (pun entirely intended), and I said, "I think I'm gonna do it - stand outside the bathroom door and be a witness". So he camped out there and let out a "woo-hoo" when he heard the evidence. And he was the one who announced it to the nurse when she came in the next time. He was so proud of me!
Unread 03-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Big Bertha

Robbie, I love the Big Bertha story You are a riot! Don't you think the lab tested your urine & found tap water in it? You better be careful girl, Big Bertha might have your number! Why is there always a "Big Bertha" in the hospitals?
I hope to pee & poop to perfection! But I will keep your secret in mind!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2006, 09:19 AM

See...farting has never been a goal for me, it is something I try NOT to do, and when I do, try to do so quietly...FINALLY, I will be able to fart like my boyfriend does, carefree, and I will expect applause....

Great thread! T
Unread 03-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Not my goal either!!!!!!!!!!!

T, its not my goal in life either! I know its my husbands "thing"! I will be embarassed when they ask me to or if its been done!
Unread 03-27-2006, 02:05 PM

Spasma... NO - nothing like that is tested. All the nurses want is EVIDENCE! And then it's all flushed...no one the wiser. Trust me - I watched carefully....and Bertha was NOT aboout to reinsert that cath. We've got to laugh...gets us thru some of the more trying days. Feel free to write whenever you'd like. hugs from me
Unread 03-27-2006, 06:56 PM

Ladies.......As innocent as it sounds, white lies in the castle can backfire.

The reason the nurses know how much urine you need to pass, is that they keep track of how many fluids went in, by mouth and IV. If all that intake is not accounted for in the output..........especially in cases where fluid is being retained to the point of weight gain.........your health could be in serious trouble. For example: If the problem is as "simple" as your bladder sphincter not cooperating, your bladder can actually rupture if it retains more than 1000 ml of fluid (The amount in 1 IV bag). And, bladders that have just had work done, are at even higher risk for additional damage.

Sometimes, the water retention problem can be that kidneys are not even getting the urine down to the bladder.......this is tested by giving Lasix. If the kidneys aren't working appropriately, all kinds of things can happen. Some folks can even experience a condition called CHF....congestive heart failure.

Even though having a catheter put back in is not something we would sign up for at camp, so to speak.............it is much better than our omissions or fibs allowing serious health alerts to go undetected by medical staff. This prevents your caregivers from being able to recognize and resolve situations before they become big problems.

So, please....just be aware: There are big reasons for the seemingly inconvenient expectations of the hospital staff.............reasons that protect you from things you may not even know about.

Am so glad that many here did tell the truth about passing gas. Women who fib about that one, in order to not delay their discharge, are sometimes very unhappy campers when needing to return to the castle for bowel problems that went on too long, undetected.........leading, sometimes, to additional surgery. Caught earlier, resolution could have been much easier.....and safer.

So sorry to sound like a preacher, but this is such a huge safety issue, I thought you might like to know.

Take care, Princesses. Each one of you deserves the best, and healthiest, recovery possible........s...Deb
Unread 03-28-2006, 12:14 AM

Fibroid woman I understand what you are saying but what I was asking is how would they know if I farted if I didn't proudly announce it. LOL. I would never lie about fluids or BM's for the reasons you have stated.

After my colonoscopy the nurse told me that I needed to pass gas. She was sitting there (in the same room) at a computer and I just let 'er rip because that was what they wanted. They asked for it. LOL
Unread 03-28-2006, 04:10 AM

smilinfaces......I was just throwing out caution to those who HAVE told what lies, or were thinking about it.

I think it is hilarious about your letting it rip in the presence of the nurse...........can't communicate any clearer than that.
..................s....Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register