Weeping from Incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weeping from Incision Weeping from Incision

Unread 03-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Weeping from Incision

Hello everyone. I had a complete hysterectomy on March 10th. My incision started weeping two days ago ... is this normal? If you press on my stomach, you could actually collect fluid in a cup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Weeping from Incision

Not sure about allot of it, but my doctor told me for the seeping I had (brownish red) that if I placed a very warm (almost hot) wet cloth above or below the incision ... not directly ON it, that draws the fluid back in ... and it works.

I had a bit today and placed a wet (wrung out) very warm washcloth on my stomach skin just above the incision and the weeping stopped.

Hugs,
Dee
Unread 03-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Weeping from Incision

with that much drainage,i would def call your doc...you may have developed a seroma which is a pocket of fluid that collcts after surgery.....id call,if nothing else,for peace of mind....good luck...sonie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Weeping from Incision

You should call your Doctor.Mine did the same but that was 1 week post-op when he took out the staples.After he manipulate my stomache(no pain)he put gauges in it to act as a wick to help drain out the build up fluid.He said sometimes it does not all come out in the drain they put in at surgery. So call yours 1st thing tomorrow
Unread 03-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Weeping from Incision

I agree! I would definitely call your doc. Are you running a fever? I had my surgery on 2/13 and was discharged from the castle on 2/16. I started running fever (100.8) the day I left the hospital. I was back in the ER on 2/18. I was having some discharge from the incision. My doc took out my staples in the ER and sent me home on antibiotics. I continued to run a low grade temp (99.5 to 100) throughout the week. On the following Friday my incision ruptured at home. My parents were with me and my dad (who is retired from the Fire Dept) called 911. I was also having heavy vaginal bleeding. I ended up being in the castly for another week on IV antibiotics and a drain tube in my left butt cheek to drain the abscess that had developed. I am now 6 weeks post op and still having trouble getting back on my feet. With all that said.... don't put off calling the doc and at least getting checked. It's better to be safe than sorry :-) Hang in there hun!
Unread 03-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Weeping from Incision

I also am having this. I knew a bit of leakage was normal but if I had been able to collect it, I would have been able to get almost 2 cups of fluid!
I called the Dr on call yesterday and I have an appt. at 9:15 this morning. She also said it was a sarcoma trying to form. She did say it was nothing to worry about. I was told to put some gauze on it with a big this ABD pad over top, tape it and wear the binder as tight as I could stand and stay in bed for the day. Talk about bored! ugh!
I will let you know what she does.
I am also going to ask if I can go shopping while I am out, if I ride on the scooter. My son will be with me so I won't have to do anything but walk to the store.
I have to get some healthy food in this house!
Unread 03-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Weeping from Incision

Thanks to all who replied. I talked to the doctor this morning, and he says that it's normal, as long as I don't have a fever (which I don't), and that I should encourage the drainage. I am starting antibiotics today, though, and I am to see him on Wednesday.

You guys are great ... thanks for making me feel better!
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Weeping from Incision

I had that really bad too. It happened on my ninth day after surgery. It ripped open my incision and the fluid pored out of it!! My dh told the dr that it looked like I was peeing from my incision. I had to sit on the toilet for over 45 minutes that first time just watching it come out. I did go to the dr that day and was put on rx.

I did not have a drain from surgery and the fluid built up and I was so sick. When it came out of my incision, I started feeling better right away.

My dr said that it is normal (she even opened the incision further--ouch--)and said that it should close up on it's own in two to three weeks. Sure enough, it's just about healed up.

I will let you know that I did have a very steady stream of fluid for quite some time, but my dr said that unless it turns green or milky do not be concerned.

I hope this helps you out. It scared the gegeezus out of me when it happened.
Unread 03-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Weeping from Incision

I had the same thing happen...seroma. It happened at 2 weeks. My doctor had to reopen my entire incision (didn't hurt) and packed my stomach with about 10 strips of gauze and an abd pad on the outside. This was done daily for about a week and the draining didn't stop. I was referred to a wound doctor who put me on a wound vac. This did the trick. I was just taken off of the wound vac and now have about a 2 inch incision which I need to change the dressings daily. I'm hoping to be closed up and done with this ordeal within the next week or so.

Make sure you get to your doctor so they can properly diagnose you. I ended up with a staph infection along with all of the draining.

Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register