No Real Symptoms , why am I doing this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Real Symptoms , why am I doing this No Real Symptoms , why am I doing this

Unread 03-27-2006, 01:30 PM
No Real Symptoms , why am I doing this

Is there anyone out there that, like me has no symptoms, no pain, no heavy bleeding, etc. but is still going ahead with the surgery?
I still have normal periods, each month, sometimes really heavy, and advil helps the cramps the first day. At my annual gyno visit 1 1/2 years ago, the doctor said my uterus was "huge", have been having ultrasounds every six months since. Now my uterus is 19 centimeters and I have 3 large fibroids. I have the urge to pee a lot , feel a tiny bit bloated in the waist area. But other than that, I don't have all the pain and heavy bleeding most of you ladies write about. Two doctors gave me the same opinion, that because of the quick growth of the uterus , it should come out. So. I'm having the TAH on 4/14/06 and I just want to feel reassured it's the right thing. I'm 49 years old and have 2 children and don't want anymore
yeja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2006, 01:37 PM

Since you have 2 doctors saying the same thing, yet you still aren't sure you feel it is necessary, go back to them both and ask them why they believe you should have surgery. If their medical opinions are the same and you understand their concern as being real, then you will feel more assured about whether it is a necessary procedure for you.
Unread 03-27-2006, 01:44 PM

I had pretty much no symptoms other than a fast growing uterus since last August. I went from a flat tummy to 16 week uterus in 4 months. I was concerned it would continue to grow and damage other organs or worse....attach itself to vital organs and then I'd have a bigger problem.
As it turns out the massage fibroid grew smaller babies and attached itself to an ovary and destroyed it. I have one left. I guess you have to determine what quality of life you want to have knowing you might have to do something down the road. Since knew it wouldn't go away and could potentially get worse down the road I wanted to live better. You have to make peace with the decision because it is what will get you through the recovery ordeal. :balanc:
M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2006, 01:46 PM

Hi Yeja,

I am 40, no children and had a semi unexpected TAH, both ovaries removed on Feb 22/06. Like you, I had not symptoms other than lower back pain which was what started the whole investigation process. Last August, I went to my GP because I had been suffering from lower back pain since April. I figured she would send me for physio. Instead, she sent me for an ultrasound. In addition to 'massive' fibroids in my uterus and a 'complex' cyst on my left ovary, the first ultrasound showed a fair size solid mass on my right. Off I went to a Gyno and although subsequent ultrasounds did not detect the solid mass (Thank God), all showed the complex cyst and fibroids. Due to the nature of the cyst, COMPLEX, and the chance that it could be cancerous, my ovary had to be removed. Surgery was booked for November, but since my Gyno still hadn't traced the source of the back pain, she called days prior to postpone, until she could trace the pain. A few months and tests later...all of which suggested that the pain was likely due to the fibroids, surgery was scheduled for Feb 22. It was to remove just my ovary, unless the biopsy returned positive in which case my gyno was given the green light to do what she had to do. The biopsy was okay, but when she opened, she was aghast and not only the size of the uterine fibroids, but also the extent of endometrios all over the place. Aghast because I didn't have any symptoms. My periods were like clockwork. No heavy bleeding and very little cramping (only at onset of period and advil worked). Due to the extent and condition of everything she performed a full hysterectomy because she felt that she would only have to go back in within the year...

So, although you might not have any 'typical' symptoms, you might soon. I remember telling my doctor before surgery that I wanted to keep at least one ovary, unless the biospy came back positive or unless once in there, she realized that she would only have to go back in sooner than later. I didn't want to have to endure another surgery.

Best of luck with your decision. I'm glad to finally hear someone else who has no symptoms....

Anne
Unread 03-27-2006, 02:24 PM

I'm scheduled for TAH-BSO with lymphadenectomy on April 1st (on a Saturday, I'm high risk because of lung disabilities and autoimmune disease(s).

I'm 51 and post meno for about six years now. I've had NO symptoms at all beyond your usual bloating a bit now and then (not all the time). Imagine MY surprise when my PCP was advised by an oncologist to do a full body CT and found a large, solid mass on the ovary, as well as a 14 week uterus.

Over the last five years I had lost over 115 pounds, started lifting weights, working out, etc. and 'assumed' that the 'getting looser all the time' skin around my lower abdomen was actually protruding from the mass, etc. I've just in the last four weeks (have been scheduling anesthesiology, other doc's, my pulmo, respiratory, etc. for the surgery, this takes time) gotten pain down my legs, pressure, having to void every so many hours, etc.

So, I feel a little 'upset' that it was kind of 'unreal' being told (and shown) this....but in the last few weeks with the 'symptoms' beginning to show up....I'm ready! Bring it on!

Pam
Unread 03-27-2006, 02:35 PM

Yeja

I would suggest you get another opinion or as Lev said go back to see both doctors and ask exactly why the need for a hyst.

Fibroids aren't a good enough reason for a hyst, especially when you don't have any real symptoms. Fibroids can be removed without removing the uterus and can also be treated with natural progesterone or a intra uterine device which releases progestin only into the uterus has shown very positive results.

There are many avenues for your to try and for me if I had my time over again, I would not go back to a doctor why said I needed to have a hyst straight away without trying anything else. Contrary to popular belief the uterus is very important and not just used for child bearing. I would also suggest you do some research of your own on fibroids and the consequences of having your uterus removed.

I hope you do not become another statistic of a drastic operation that is life changing.

I also wanted to add that I would suggest putting the operation off and get that third opinion because it seems you may not be truly comfortable with your decision. Look at the negatives of hyst and if you are willing to take those on and live forever with those consequences only then can you make an informed decision. Please look into this further.
Unread 03-27-2006, 02:47 PM

I didn't have any of the big symptoms that many of the sisters on here have either, and I posted my questions about whether it was worth it or not too. My problem was a prolapsed uterus, and my only symptom was frequent bladder infections (easily treatable). So when my gyn recommended a hyst, I was unsure. I felt great (no infections) for months before my surgery. What finally decided it for me was my doctor's words that this wasn't going to just go away by itself. Eventually I would have to have a hyst. I could wait until I felt miserable or do it before then. The deciding factor was when my mom had to have a hyst because of uterine prolapse, followed by a bladder sling 2 years later because she'd waited so long to have her uterus removed. Her recovery time was slower and her symptoms were not completely dealt with because she was older and her muscles more atrophied. I opted to have mine done now and have the necessary repairs done that should get me through the rest of my life.

That's just my story. There was no permanent solution to my problem except surgery, but it sounds like there are some non-surgical solutions that might work for you.
Unread 03-27-2006, 02:48 PM

I didn't even know I HAD a fibroid until my doctor, doing my yearly pap, discovered a small mass. I had NO problems at all. BUT in three months time it grew from a pingpong ball to a grapefruit. And when they finally cut me open I had grown 2 more.

I healed fine and have no regrets.
Unread 03-27-2006, 03:06 PM

I, too, have been fighting the hysterectomy thing for years. Ive had 3 opinions( all the same)I have fibroids and they keep getting bigger-no symtoms that I know of but i think they are growing up into the diaphram. I can really feel it when i bend over.I'm set for a TAH on the 7th of April. I've finaly resigned myself and I know I'm doing the right thing. Im very nervous about post -op and infections and all the other things that can happen... I'll let you know!
Unread 03-27-2006, 04:00 PM

I hate to do this to you.... but in all honesty, I feel strongly both ways on this issue.

On the one hand, I hear you about not having any "real" symptoms. On the other hand, having a uterus as enlarged as yours over a prolonged period can also be harmful -- pressing on other organs, etc. You're not having these problems, and even if it's only a matter of time, you may be able to wait it out until natural menopause, at which time fibroids often shrink considerably.

Has any doctor mentioned whether or not you would be a candidate for myonectomy? This would be the surgical removal of just the fibroids. Depending on the location and type of fibroid, this could be an excellent option and it would preserve your uterus.

I would also be very relucant to have a hysterectomy without having any real issues to solve. to you and we're here for you no matter what you decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register