Bikini cut vs. vertical abdominal cut | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bikini cut vs. vertical abdominal cut Bikini cut vs. vertical abdominal cut

Unread 03-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Bikini cut vs. vertical abdominal cut

Excuse me if this has already been asked, but I am new to this site and couldn't find anything on it. My doctor says I have to have a vertical cut for my hysterectomy because my uterus is too big. It's the size of a 20 week pregnant woman (because of fibroids). I have known other women having uteruses as big and they've all had binkin cuts. I'd like to know if anyone has advice about which cut is better? I'm not as concerned with the scar as I am with which cut is less invasive and heals faster/better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2006, 08:49 AM

Hi there. I am so glad you asked that because I too need the same type of cut and havent been able to find the naswers myself. When is your surgery? Mine is April 5th. I have had lots of other ab surgeries but they were all bikini cuts. Not this time due to the scarring. I was wondering if it is harder to move and sit because it is not across. Thanks for asking a question that I have been searching to find the answer too as well. Hang in there my sista, we have lots of hope that we will be alot better after this is all over with Hugs
Unread 03-28-2006, 09:10 AM

Hi there!

I had a TAH/panniculectomy. For the panniculectomy, they did a long, hip-to-hip bikini cut. But they also told me I'd have a vertical cut for my hysterectomy.... so I'd look like I had a "T" on my abdomen.

I woke up with just the horizontal cut .

It all has to do with how things go with your surgery and whether they need to get a better look inside as they are doing the procedure.

As for vertical vs. horizontal for healing.... well, my second C-section was a vertical cut, and it healed much easier than any of my horizontal incisions have. But again, that's just my experience. to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2006, 09:54 AM

I requested a bikini cut and doc said he would have to cut into muscle and he prefers vertical cuts. But he said he would decide once I was on the table. I also expected staples. However, he gave me a bikini cut with stitches!! However, dr told dh after the surgery that he did have some trouble removing the uterus (12 wk size).
Good luck!!
Unread 03-28-2006, 10:18 AM

I had a 12" vertical cut because my uterus was 6-7 month size. The cut comes a little above my belly button. This was my first surgery so I have nothing to compare it to. Since I'm a fluffy person, it would seem that a horizontal cut on me would not have been comfortable due to the excess skin. It was easy for my incision to get air. I found my vertical cut to be a little irritating. I describe it as feeling like a long paper cut on dry skin. I didn't have any muscular discomfort whatsoever. I thought my abs would be hurting afterwards but they didn't.

I would think a vertical cut is preferred by a surgeon because there is more access to the organs.

Best wishes and 's
Unread 03-28-2006, 10:31 AM

My first doc said it had to be 9" vertical because uterus too big (22-24 week size).

Second doc (who had a much better bedside manner and seems more skilled, but specializes in lap hysts) said he prefers horizontal because it is a stronger seam when healed.

I am "fluffy" as well, but neither doc mentioned if that was a factor.

I never read anything official based on research, but I've already got two opinions.

I am just glad to hear both can heal well and hope I am fit for backpacking and portaging by midsummer.

Date is 4/6 for me, I'll know more after that.

-k.
Unread 03-28-2006, 11:02 AM

I have not asked yet, my dr. pre op is Thursday. I hope I have a bikini cut. She did my lap incision a little above my C-Section scar-that scar has been used as a guide 3x... I hope she can do a bikini cut...I would HATE to have a huge scar going down my belly... No more low rise jeans....
Unread 03-28-2006, 11:19 AM

I had two horizonal cuts for my C-sections, and was hoping that this time the Dr could use the same incisions or area. He told me he would decide once I was on the table due to having my muscles completely relaxed at that time. Well, I woke up to a vertical cut from my belly button down to the tip of my horizontal cuts.
Now that I am a week out of surery, I am glad that he did this. The vertical for me, is much easier to care for and doesn't seem to hurt as much as I remember the horizontal ones, maybe because of the muscles used down there. Plus, I am very fluffy!! My bikini cuts are UNDER my fat roll, so that would be harder to keep clean and dry.
Today I go to have my staples taken out. I really have been feeling great and not much pain at all.
I guess it really depends on your body. I would imagine thin people with no belly to deal with, wouldn't mind either cut, but for me, I now prefer the vertical.
Unread 03-28-2006, 11:56 AM

I had a c-section 24 years ago and have a scar that goes from my belly button to the just below the vaginal opening. My doctor went thru this same scar. It has healed really well. It does seem that it took me longer to get up an around than it did all of my friends who had bikini cuts. My worst pain came from getting up and down. But it just depends. I had a 12 cm cyst on my left ovary and an enlarged uterus so he felt this cut to be best. Good luck to all of you. Keeping you in my prayer.
Unread 03-28-2006, 12:48 PM

My husband asked at my pre op if they were going to use the c-section scar. They said that due to the size of the fibroids (one was 10cm, but they did not realize it was that large until they were inside) and the number, that they preferred to do a vertical. That way they were sure that they could remove the uterus and check the ovaries as well. I really had no problems with mine. I am not having problems with getting up and down, it is pretty easy after the first few times of getting up. My doctor took the staples out at 8 days, and she said it looks like I will only have a little scarring. My cut was from above my belly button to my pubic bone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register