TVH vs TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-29-2006, 05:18 PM
TVH vs TAH

Okay, so here is another question. I have come in here every day and read through the posts. It seems as though most of the surgeries are TAH. I am scheduled for a TVH on April 10. Why, if the surgery can be performed vaginally, would there be so many done abdominally? I know each of us all have different issues and such, but I was wondering beside the obvious, what is the difference? Why wouldnt there be more done vaginally? Isnt the recovery time much shorter?
I am just curious is all. I havent decided if I should have them take my ovaries out. If I do chose this will I then have to have this surgery abdominally? Just a thought.
Thanks a bunch

Best wishes for all those getting ready to go to the castle and those just coming home.

Smiles,
Leanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2006, 05:32 PM
TVH vs TAH

Hi Leanne!

I had to have my surgery (to remove fibroids) abdominally, because, as my gyn explained to me: "Sometimes, if you've had a baby, we can pull it out. If you haven't had a baby, we need to do an incision."

I'm sure his explanation to me was very elementary, because I get an immediate "deer in the headlights" look on my face anytime anything "medical" is explained to me.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!
Unread 03-29-2006, 06:29 PM
TVH vs TAH

In my case, I have an ovarian mass (solid) and the doc will have to 'sample' some lymph nodes for biopsy, plus it 'looks like' (on CT/MRI) the mass is attached to my colon. I also have a large uterus so that is the reason I have to have TAH-BSO and not TVH or LVH. The first thing I asked (feeling like a smarty,lol) is "Don't they do this vaginally nowadays?" and she right away told me why it could not be done that way. I believe there are several different reasons for TAH vs. TVH.

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2006, 06:29 PM
TVH vs TAH

There are a lot of reasons why a Dr may prefer a TAH to a TVH ..In my case I would have loved a TVH for a quicker recovery etc...but it was not possible..
I had 3 previous c-sections, so there are adhesions, etc to consider that make removal of uterus more difficult....not having had a vaginal delivery was also against me...see the post above for that.

Then lastly my uterus was the size of a soccer ball, and the Dr needed as much room as possible for its removal and also to check out the abdominal cavity for other problems, so I ended up with a vertical incision instead of the anticipated horizontal incision.

If you are able to have a TVH you are indeed lucky...just remember to rest up after it properly....just because there is no outside scar it is still big surgery to recover from!
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:55 PM
TVH vs TAH

I am getting a tah because i had a previous csection..i wanted the tvh but cant alwasy get what you want. The decison was made because of csection and fibroids..in case they are bigger than originally thoguht. I am really nervouse..cuz i remeber the pain after my csection..ugh!!!
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:28 PM
TVH vs TAH

I was originally scheduled for a tvh, but my doctor couldn't get my uterus to come down, so had to do the abdominal incision (bikini) instead. She told me that there really isn't any difference in the healing time between the surgeries. Patients with tvh's just think they are healed faster! My incision was closed and mended over by one week post op and I never had any openings, discharge etc. The one benefit my doc did tell me about having the tah is that there is usually less bleeding, discharge and spotting because they are able to make tighter stitches in the vaginal cuff from the abdominal side as opposed to the vaginal side. She was right, in my case, no bleeding, discharge or spotting since I came out of surgery! YAHOO!

Mar
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:39 PM
TVH vs TAH

i had to abdominal because 2 prior c sections also the 12 cm cyst on my ovary and enlarged uterus. they wanted to take the cyst out whole. i wish i could of had it done the other way. i am still sore but doing better. but he fixed up my prior csections scar and it looks great
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:24 PM
TVH vs TAH

I had to have TAH because my uterus was enlarged and I had giant fibroids (maybe also because I've never had children, but my doc and I never discussed that). I never had bleeding or discharge of any kind, and my incision has healed up nicely, no complaints here!
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:35 PM
TVH vs TAH

I had a TVH on March 3. I have had no bleeding, discharge, or anything. Healing has been awesome. I personally (and so does my doctor) think the healing time is faster than the TAH but the problem is that you do have to remember you have the stictches on the inside since there is no obvious reminder on the outside to make you slow down. The reasons I was told vary quite a bit as to which one you would have, but doc said alot depends on the size of your uterus. I know a vaginal birth was on my side also. Plus I had no endo, or any suspected cancer (which they really want to explore to make sure it hasn't spread when they open you up and cannot do it when they do a TVH). I also kept my ovaries but the doc said she could still take them out vaginally if I decided to have them go. With her advice I decided at 43 years old it was best to keep them. Hope this helps. I also had a spinal which was awesome too!
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:01 PM
TVH vs TAH

My surgery was a TAH to explore surrounding tissues and lymph nodes for further cancer. I had the choice of TVH, but wanted the doctor to do everything he could regarding the cancer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register