Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Help

Hi Ladies, haven't had much time for me, so I have not been on board in awhile. My husband has been diagnosed with Parkinson's and my sister stage three malignant melanoma, so I have been really busy. I have however had three surgeries since my final stage of my total hysterectomy (they took one piece a year for three year--finally took left ovary 11/2002). I had adhesion removal for sever pain in my right side this past summer, and my surgeon put some type of film in there that was supposed to help with reoccuring adhesions not coming back. Anyways--I am having ungodly pain in my lower right groin area, that radiates into my abdomen, and my lower back. The pain is so severe I can barely walk. They have done MRI, CAT scan and see nothing but possibly a lypoma which my doc says is nothing. I was told when they took my uterus out (due to adenomyosis) that I had possibly had polycystic disease but I have never been given a definite diagnosis. I had six hernia's repaired in December, and when this pain started my abdomen on my right side was petruding so I thought it was another. My surgeon says no. I am scared, hurting and unfortunately without insurance. I lost my job for all the time lost due to illness. I couldn't get out of bed, and without a diagnosis my doctors' couldn't excuse me. I don't know what to do. I have very painful sex..so I can't, and once or twice I even spotted after sex. Please, anyone who might have any ideas..Oh I am so open to anything. I literally feel like I am going crazy from the pain. I will check on my email and here constantly. I am trying to avoid the ER but begining to think I am going to have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Help

-aliciasnanny-
OMG woman! *Sigh* So much bad news and so much pain and all of it happening to you at once!
I can't help but think that the ER is the way to go. As my primary doc said once "Pain is nature's way of saying 'Cut it out!'"
Now he was referring to my always pushing myself a bit further than I should. lol but the point remains that there's got to be a cause for your pain and symptoms and obviously it's not going away by itself. *sigh*
I know you mentioned losing your insurance so it's got to be hard but is there any way for you to get another opinion about the "possible lypoma"? I have one myself (in my calf) and they aren't, by nature, supposed to cause pain but I've been told that they can impinge nerves, etc. and cause pain. Whatever it is--or whatever the cause of the pain, if it's not that--obviously needs to be addressed.
Please keep us posted? I'll keep you in my prayers in the meantime.
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Thank you

Thank you Yankee Lady for your kind words and promise of prayers. I read what I could about lypomas too, and didn't see a cause for pain. My fear is my symptoms, and unfortunately,I am fearing the worst. My symptoms resemble that of ovarian cancer--although I no longer have my ovaries. When I mentioned this to my surgeon, he said, it doesn't mean you can't get it. Which wasn't very reassuring. But him not seeing anything very big in my MRI made me think I was just crazy. The pain is very real, and the symptoms I have are making me crazy. I guess I am going to have to break down and go to the ER. I know they have programs to help with the bills for patients without insurance, but my local ER tends to just shoot you up with pain and med and tell you to see a doc in the morning, which I can't do for a couple more weeks. This has been going on for over a month now. I just don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2006, 09:00 AM
hi

Hi there,
It really ticks me off that in this country of ours, that seems to be there to help every other country, lets people like you go without insurance. It is so ironic that you HAVE health insurance when are working and HEALTHLY and when you get sick and can't work they take it away!!!!!!! You should get some kind of "credit" for all the years you DIDN'T use it, don't you think? And COBRA, that is a joke, who can afford that? Anyway, this is not helping you, but I just want to tell you how sorry I feel for you, and this system that let you get to this point. Now, about your pain. I just had major adhesion surgery Friday and they do cause unbearable pain. Somedays mine would feel "ok", others the pain would double me over. They do not show up on MRI'S, s I'm sure you know the only way to dx them is with a lap, and without insurance that is a problem. With all the surgeries you've had, and also already had adhesion removal, I wouldn't be surprised to see that ugly monster rearing it's head again. Do you have a GP you trust that you could call and maybe get a "free" phone opinion? The last thing you need is to be running to the wrong kind of doctors and having expensive testing done. Please try calling one of your doctors, explaining the entire situation, and ask where you should turn for help. Good Luck to you. I am still awaiting test results, and I know how hard this is on your mind and body, and you certainly have your plate full right now. I feel very sorry for you.
Unread 03-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Help

HI. Thanks, I have considered the scar tissue thing, but the surgeon who did the last surgery told me he put the film stuff in to prevent that from coming back? I suppose it doesn't have to work, and you could very well be right. He just won't even consider it because of the last time. Time to find a new surgeon I guess, and I need a GP...none here I can trust--trust me. I worked in the hospital. I am not impressed with any of them down here. They think women are never sick.
Unread 03-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Help

-aliciasnanny- That has got to be infuriating--to know that this pain is real and yet not have something tangible to point to (or that someone will point to and say "there it is!"
*Sigh*...I had a good friend that went through months of agony following a "minor" back injury with all the doctors, chiropractors, etc. all but writing him off as an hysteric. (Part of what got him through it, I swear, was the alarming stats that show how MANY people have back pain that's never conclusively nailed down...at least he knew he was in good company <wan grin>)
To make a long story short, when his back surgeon finally went in he found not only the ruptured disk they knew was there but bone shards that, like little needles, were hitting his spinal cord. Dale (friend) told me, later, that the doctor not only apologized but even seemed to be tearing up!
Happy ending: The surgery was his road back to health.
As for you--I can understand your preparing for the worst but am hoping that it's not cancer--ovarian or any other--but for sure if I were to "trust" my body or a picture (don't get me wrong, I think MRIs are wonderful things!) I'd go with ol' faithful as she doesn't leave much to chance. If I'm in pain, there's a reason. Same with you...it's just a matter of finding the cause and getting it fixed.
Stay strong and if painkillers and referrels are all the ER can give you maybe take them up on that for now? I'd hate to think you won't get any respite for another couple of weeks!
Keep us posted.
Unread 03-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Terrible Pain

I know I wrote before, and now I am just scared and in pain. I have been reading some of the posts and I guess I don't understand enough about post-hysterectomy problems. I had never heard of cystocele, or rectocele, and I don't know what prolapse is. I am sorry, I feel really stupid. So--If you all don't mind, I am going to tell you all of my symptoms and if anyone has had these, or can make any suggestions so when I get to the doctor I might sound a little informed--Cause I know first hand if you don't know what you are talking about, they make you feel like you are making up things, and they dismiss you. I have abdominal bloating, and a couple of walnut size lumps in my upper abdomen. I have severe pain concentrated on my lower right groin area, but radiating to the lower back and occasionally throughout my whole stomach. I have extremely painful intercourse, with occasional spotting afterwards--which does not seem normal at all because of the fact I have had a total hysterectomy. The pain is what I think causes the extreme nauseau, but I am not sure. I vomit most of what I eat, yet I seem to still be gaining weight. I am overweight. I have had an increase in chin hair (paints a lovely pic huh?), and I have slight bladder control problems. I am scared. I am in terrible pain. I just don't know what to do. I don't trust many docs out here, but I will go to one soon as I come up with the money. My sister and my husband want me to go to ER. I will let you know what's going on, but meanwhile if anyone has any ideas, they are SOOOO appreciated. I feel like I am losing my mind to the pain.
Unread 03-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Help

(((aliciasnanny))) I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think you should let your sister and your husband take you to the ER. You really need to get seen; the things you are describing are not normal for someone who is five years post hyst. We'll be waiting to hear what you find out.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register