can any type of prolapse happen due to hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

can any type of prolapse happen due to hysterectomy? can any type of prolapse happen due to hysterectomy?

Unread 03-30-2006, 10:12 AM
can any type of prolapse happen due to hysterectomy?

I am having my hysterectomy on april 8 and I have read and read all kinds of information. By removing the ovaries, tubes, uterus and cervix, can any type of prolapse happen and drop through the vagina? Once they remove these organs, is it stitched up down there so nothing falls out like the bladder, pelvis, etc... does any one know anything about any type of prolapse after a hysterectomy:
thanks
sweeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Pelvic Floor Exercises

Hi

What would help prevent a prolapse are pelvic floor exercises. They may call them something different in America. Imagine you are trying to pick up a piece of tissue paper with your vaginal muscles and hold it. More each day. Apparently that strengthens the pelvic floor and helps to prevent a prolapse of the bladder or bowel - I have both and clench daily!!!

Lots of love and good luck use this smilie lower down!!!!
Unread 03-30-2006, 05:20 PM
can any type of prolapse happen due to hysterectomy?

Hi Sweeper
  Quote:
is it stitched up down there so nothing falls out like the bladder, pelvis, etc... does any one know anything about any type of prolapse after a hysterectomy:
Yes, the top of the vagina is usually stitched closed creating what's called the vaginal cuff . Some surgeons will leave this to close on it's own. Once closed, the organs can't really fall into the vagina, but they can protrude into it as a bulge in the vaginal wall. The organs have ligaments for support, but sometimes they just aren't enough.

I've always done my kegel exercises, so I was very disappointed when I developed a 3rd degree rectocele after my hyst. My surgeon said my muscles were good, but there was a defect there that my kegels couldn't help. Like the vagina being a firm support stocking, only the stocking got a 'run' in it. (A weak area that couldn't come together without surgery.)

Here's a link about the different types of prolapses and risk factors: Pelvic Organ Prolapse Hope it helps.

Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and smooth recovery.
Gentle s,
Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register