No One To Be With Me In The Castle??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No One To Be With Me In The Castle??? No One To Be With Me In The Castle???

Unread 03-31-2006, 12:51 PM
No One To Be With Me In The Castle???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilasunrise
I agree with Lev - this shouldnt be compared to DH's mother - but I often think that men are just scared of the whole thing.

Good point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2006, 12:55 PM

MyMacey: I will more than likely be alone, all my family lives in Mexico, so my DH has to be with the kids. I am also scared that I will need help during the night. But I will take a big basket of goodies to the Castle, so the nurses don’t forget about me.
Unread 03-31-2006, 12:56 PM

SpeakTruth33,

Yep - DH is very dedicated to coaching (our youngest daughter is on this team). The parents & kids love him and he loves doing it.

And yes - you are so right. I do think he can't stand to see me need help. I'm SO independent. He IS a fixer and as you said - if I comment on something hurting it will drive him crazy if he can't fix it! Thanks so much for your insight. It helped put this in a little better perspective.

He did go with me to Target last night to buy "stuff" from my list. He also bought me an overthebed table, new bed jacket and a pillow wedge. He means well - my feelings are just a bit sensitive. I'm scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMacey
Good point!
Let's put this into soccer speak for your husband Sometimes it helps to word it in their way of thinking...

If he's scared sat on the sidelines watching you play this game, ask him to imagine how you feel in goal with the ball firmly coming at you, and no coach anywhere in sight
Unread 03-31-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bita1301
MyMacey: I will more than likely be alone, all my family lives in Mexico, so my DH has to be with the kids. I am also scared that I will need help during the night. But I will take a big basket of goodies to the Castle, so the nurses don’t forget about me.

Good idea! The nurses will love you. I think I'll try that too. I know you will miss your family. I will say a prayer for you! Thanks!
Unread 03-31-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev
Let's put this into soccer speak for your husband Sometimes it helps to word it in their way of thinking...

If he's scared sat on the sidelines watching you play this game, ask him to imagine how you feel in goal with the ball firmly coming at you, and no coach anywhere in sight

You're so clever. I can think of lots of analogies to soccer for him. grins...
Unread 03-31-2006, 01:16 PM

You should be fine in the hospital without him there. The nurses are only a call light away. You will probably sleep a lot he first couple days anyway. I sent my husband home about an hour after I got to my room from recovery so I could sleep.

My DH was home when I came home from the hospital and was there the next day (it was Sunday), but on Monday, everything was back to normal with him going to work. Before he left, I had my little area set up and he made sure my pain pills were sitting out and there was toilet paper in the bathroom, and I was fine.

Soccer practice is only about an hour or so, isn't it, and the game about as long? Will you have someone else home with you, like a child who can get you something if you need it? My husband coached my son's baseball team for many years and I know how disappointed my son would have been if he would have had to miss practice and/or his game. You may even sleep the entire time he's gone!

I, too, think he's somewhat afraid, even though he could have worded things a little differently. Once he sees you recovering I think he will realize that your situation is different from his mom's and he will lighten up a bit. Hope everything works out great for you and you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 03-31-2006, 01:36 PM

Hi ,

The honest truth is that my Dh was there the day of my surgery and just watched me sleep. When I woke up he stuck some ice in my mouth and I went back to sleep!!

He went home for dinner that night and I insisted he not come back, but spend time with the kids instead. The next day was Saturday and he went in to work to make up the day he missed on Friday. On Sunday, he took the kids to church.

I really was fine at the castle by myself and even enjoyed the "quiet time". The nurses were never more than a button call away. Even though there were instances when I would have to wait for a while if they were busy, it was ok, because we all knew that my needs at that moment were not critical. When I did have an important need they were there immediately.

Perhaps your husband could make sure he is always near a phone in case you need him.

And ladies remember - please.

S,
Kay
Unread 03-31-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonella
You should be fine in the hospital without him there. The nurses are only a call light away. You will probably sleep a lot he first couple days anyway. I sent my husband home about an hour after I got to my room from recovery so I could sleep.

Soccer practice is only about an hour or so, isn't it, and the game about as long? Will you have someone else home with you, like a child who can get you something if you need it? My husband coached my son's baseball team for many years and I know how disappointed my son would have been if he would have had to miss practice and/or his game. You may even sleep the entire time he's gone!

OK - deep breath. So I will be fine in the hospital without anyone there. That will be my mantra. I don't want him to waste his time there - but what if I throw up or something - what if I can't get the nurses button? I know I'll be OK but these thoughts are in the back of my mind. I CAN do this.

My children are 26, 19 and 10. The 26 starts a new job as a lawyer (just took the bar) on Monday so he can't be there. 19 is in college in NYC so she can't be there. The 10 will want me to do all that I can for her - grins...

OK - I'm OK...
Unread 03-31-2006, 01:54 PM

Kay M,

Sounds like I won't need him there. I'll be in good hands I know. This is an emotional time. I'm sure it's just a case of the jitters - not really knowing what to expect nor what I will need. I'm such a "caretaker" type of person that I feel like I would want to be there for him if something happened. But I'm smart and reasonable too - so I do understand that it's OK if he won't be there. When I read the wonderful stories of the princesses whose hubbies did all those wonderful things for them - well, it makes me sad that my hubby won't be there - ok - so those are my feelings. No worries!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register