Could this be gallbladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Could this be gallbladder Could this be gallbladder

Unread 03-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Could this be gallbladder

Here are my systoms.I have really bad gas.Stomach hurt in middle between ribs.Sometimes the gas pains will go to my back and right shoulder.If I eat fatty foods I get sick.Everybody is always asking me the last few weeks if I am feeling ok.Sometimes I just feel sick but I actually don't get sick.I really don't want to call a dr.I have seen so much of them lately,so I thought I would check with you guys first.I am not in severe pain.Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2006, 01:41 PM

Hi Tread,
I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago. Those aren't exactly the symptoms that I had. I would get very bloated and would feel like I was going to get diarrhea, but only did occasionally, just felt crampy almost all the time. Certain foods would make me very sick, so I didn't eat much around that time. I didn't know if it was my "girl" problems or something else. My doctor put me through a bunch of different tests to try & figure out what it was. I had a test called a HYDA (it's an abbreviation for some long word)...can't remember if that was how it is spelled. Anyway...they hook you up to an IV & you have to lay perfectly still for about 45 minutes under what is I guess some type of x-ray machine. It actually monitors the function of your gallbladder. Turned out mine was only functioning at 25% so I had to have it removed. I don't know if that will help you, but that was my experience with it. Good luck!!
Unread 03-31-2006, 01:51 PM

Hi Sue ZQ-thanks for the quick reply.I did forget to put in my belly is very bloated.Today I felt like I was going to have diarrhea but I didn't.Did you happen to have gas?It's been happening to me alot.I do have a ulcer,maybe it can be that.Just not sure.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2006, 01:55 PM

tread, the symptoms that you have is close to what i had. I had pain like i had major heart burn and felt like i was going to having a heart attack (except that i didn't have the left arm pain) and pain in the back in the rib area. it really hurt after eating out or eating greasy food. I had emergency gallbladder surgery about 8 years ago (laproscopic). You might be passing gallstones. Either way I would give your doc a call.. I wouldn't hurt.
best of luck!! and GOD bless!!!!!
jaxwife
Unread 03-31-2006, 02:02 PM

I had my gall bladder taken out several years ago... I experienced pain that literally brought me to my knees. I had been having bouts of "heartburn" and nausea after eating pork, or corn....but the pain is what sent me to the doctor, who sent me to the surgeon, who did the ultrasound that showed the "sludge and stones", and scheduled surgery.

They did it laparscopically, it was a relatively easy surgery, and a quick recovery, I only missed a week of work.

I suggest you go to the doctor.

Good luck
T
Unread 03-31-2006, 04:11 PM

I also had mine taken out several years ago. I too also had pain that literally brought to my knees. It was so bad I left my 3 week old baby with a guy friend to go to the E.R. It was in the middle of my ribcage though and upper right chest. It sounds like everyone is different though and I would encourage you to seek help. OUCH it can really hurt. Take care.
Unread 03-31-2006, 04:22 PM

It sure sounds like it to me, and I had to have mine removed via emergency surgery. What you are describing sound like warning signs, and if you do have gallstones, they can actually block the opening to the gallbladder if not removed. The surgery now, via laser is so simple and painless. Gallbladder surgery, when I had mine out, in 1987, was even then considered to be the surgery with the fastest recuperation period. I literally took a few days to heal, and it was very easy to get on with everything again. I recommend you get an ultrasound as soon as possible. I have a haunting memory of an attack that happened while I was driving. Not safe, not fun. Get your peace of mind back.
Unread 03-31-2006, 05:47 PM

Hi Tread,
Yes...gas was the worse. I know the doctor is the last place you want to go right now, but if there is a problem with your gallbladder your suffering is not going to just go away on it's own. I suffered for 2 years...not knowing what was wrong with me because I didn't want to go to the doctor & also because I wasn't even sure what doctor to go to because some of the symptoms were so similar to the pain & bloating with my "girl stuff"....I didn't have stones - thank God, but my gallbladder was deformed. The surgeon said he'd never seen anything like it, but if you wait too long & it is a problem you may develop gallstones - NOT fun from what I hear. You really need to address it...as someone else said - the surgery is pretty easy. I too had it laprascopically (sp?) my recovery was 2 weeks...only because I got dehydrated because I was vomitting a lot. Not sure why. The tests were not too bad...sonongram, upper gi series & the Hyda test I told you about. Within 3 weeks of my testing I was in for surgery. Good Luck Sweetie....let me know how you make out.
Unread 03-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Please see a dr. soon before your hysterectomy to avoid two surgeries and bills.

My dh went into the hospital with severe chest pains one year and then again into the dr's office and they said his gallbladder must come out. The dr. wondered if his chest pain was related to the gallbladder symptoms. He did have the arm pain and back pain and thought he was having a heart attack. Since you are scheduled for a hysterectomy, you may want to see if you can have a second surgeon in there so you have ONE recovery. It wouldn't hurt to have a test done and tell them that you are scheduled for a hysterectomy. Why go through anesthesia and pay two hospital bills if you can go one time. Just a thought. You can put off your hysterectomy until they know if it's your gallbladder or not but do not cancel or change your hyster date until you know for sure it is your gallbladder. Both surgeons would have to be available to be in there at the same time. When a patient has to have bladder repair and a hysterectomy, the urologist and gyn have to schedule the surgery at the same time so that both can be done at that time. Good luck to you. s
Unread 03-31-2006, 06:54 PM

I just had my gallbladder out last Nov. I was having severe pain, and towards the end constant nausea and major stomach upset, I was only eating very little, toast bananas, boiled chicken, I did not have stones so they thought it was not my gallbladder, finally had a HIDA scan done and met with a surgeon shortly after and had my gallbladder out a week later.
I am feeling better, only had a week recovery really, never to bad..
Now I am dealing with the bloating, stomach problems, and heavy bleeding but only fora few weeks out of the month, hopefully soon that will be gone also..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register