newbee | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-01-2006, 03:37 AM
newbee

Hi, I'm new to hyster sisters. I've been reading the message boards for a few days, and I can't be happier that I found all of you. I'm due for my surgery on May 10. My surgery will be done vaginally, with one overy removed. After years of pain, I can't wait. I feel strange not being concerned about my upcoming surgery. That will probably change as I get closer to the day. I'm more relieved that it's almost over, and I can start to have a "normal" life again. My DH is great, he has supported me in everything that has lead up to this. I am truly blessed.

I've been preparing for my trip to the castle. I'm maddly cleaning the house (doing my spring cleaning), and making lists. Coaching the family on things that need to be done, while I'm unable to do them. Everyone is being very supportive.

The hardest part of all this is not being able to take care of my resposibilities while I'm recovering. How long will it be before I can clean the house, and do the cooking? More importantly how long before I can go back to work? My job is very physical. I see my Doctor April 17 to discuss all this and the surgery. These are the things I worry about. The Doctor said about 6 weeks before I can return to work, but I don't know if she reliezes how physical my job is, and I really want to make sure I do this right. I'm tired of being in pain. I want to be careful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2006, 05:50 AM
newbee

Good morning and welcome!
I too am very glad about my upcoming surgery and am not very worried about the surgery or the recovery. As you spend time here you will realize that everyone heals differently. About a week ago I read a thread in the post op section and this one sister was running at 4 weeks (i believe). But she was in great shape prior to surgery. Me, I couldnt run now for any distance so I know I wont be doing any after surgery . There are others have slower recoveries. Make sure you talk to your doctor. I am sure that you wont be released for work until you are ready. I also read that women that have vaginal hysteremectomies are able to do more sooner - and that often they appeared "healed" because all of their stitches are internal.
I am sure your doctor will go over what to expect etc. Good luck to you!
s
Unread 04-01-2006, 08:58 PM
newbee

Thanks for the message. I was feeling alone about this. Don't get me wrong my family and friends are being very supportive. I just like talking to people who are going through this. None of my friends have had one. The only person I know is my mother-in-law who had one 35 years ago ( I love her but she's a little out of touch at 85yrs).

Again thanks for the reply... it's nice to know there's support from other going through the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2006, 09:58 PM
newbee

Hi Hummingbird and welcome! I'm glad to hear you're getting lots of support.
Your doctor probably has no idea what your job entails. Do you have a written job description? Mine states things like: must be able to lift 40lbs, must be able to stand for long periods(I think it even specifies a minimum amount of time), must be able to move machines and chairs, etc. If you had this and took it to your doctor, it would give him/her a better idea of what is expected of you. If you don't have one, you could either ask your boss or even write one up of your own just describing what you do. You need to make sure you get enough time off from both outside work and house work to heal properly.
Take care,
Unread 04-01-2006, 11:55 PM
newbee

Thank you, that's a great idea. We do have a written job description. I'll get a copy and take it with me to my pre-op appointment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register