Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy

Unread 04-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy

I am scheduled to have a Laparoscopic on April 24th?
Can anyone out there tell me about the recovery and pre-op?
MAry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2006, 03:16 PM

I had the LAVH over 5 yrs ago but many pre ops are similar. For my pre op appt I had to go to the hospital to give blood and urine. You should be able to ask your dr any last minute questions. Some drs schedule an EKG as prior to surgery as well. You are usually asked about medication allergies, given information about what to do about your diet the day or two before, if you need a bowel prep, etc. You should be given instructions on when and where to report for surgery, to leave your valuables at home, etc.

Recovery for the LSH is typically a couple weeks. Even though you won't have a large external incision, you will still have had some major work inside so ask your dr about what specific restrictions you will have--driving, bathing, lifting, sex, etc.

Here are some links where you may find helpful information:
Pre Op
Post Op

You may also wish to use the search tab at the upper, right of your screen and search for "LSH" and find other threads about this hyst type. And we have a Resource tab to the left of your screen which will take you to our resource database where you can search for information as well.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 04-03-2006, 04:26 PM

LAVH has a longer recovery time than the LSH according to my doctor and several of the sisters. Recovery factors of age, fitness level, and complications play a role. I can't comment for sure because my surgery is still several weeks away, but go the the "stories" board at the top of this page and you'll see several people back to work in much less than six weeks. My doctor really feels I may very well feel like returning to work in a week. Now, he did say that if I was older (I'm early 30's)or if my job was more physical, he might be less optimistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2006, 07:31 PM

I had an LSH on March 13th. I had the big bowel prep for pre-op with two days fasting. Dr. very cautious. Procedure is relatively fast. The recovery is nice since there is only three small stitch sites to care for. You do need to watch yourself since there is no big incision to remind you to take it easy. I over did it one night cleaning. Resting helps and the swelly belly shows up in the evening or earlier depending what activities I have been doing.

Here is a video you can watch for LSH surgery..
www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/surgeryvideos.html
It was fast and interesting! Hope this helps.
Unread 04-05-2006, 12:33 PM
It is the way to go...

I had an LSH with BSO on 3-14. I, too, was worried pre-op. I was AMAZED at how good I felt right after surgery. I had a little nausea but very little pain. I refused to take the Vicodin because I thought it would make my nausea worse. I took only 800mg Motrin three times a day. My doc wanted me to take 800mg Motrin 3X day for one week both for the pain and to decrease the inflammation inside. But as the week went on....I had a hard time remembering to take the Motrin because I was not having any pain. As I became more active...sometimes I have a bit of discomfort towards night and take 400mg Motrin before bed and I wake up feeling great. I was not restricted in taking baths post op and was told I could drive as as soon as I was not taking Vicodin....which I never did. So the hyst was on Tuesday, home from hospital on Wednesday and I drove for the first time on Saturday.
The only problem I have is wondering why I waited so long to have this done. Good luck!
Unread 04-05-2006, 12:37 PM

Hi Gotsmiles,

I also had a LSH and I am still very pleased with my surgery results.

Here are two links that go over the LSH surgery:

http://www.laparoscopicsupracervicalhysterectomy.com/
http://www.goodgyn.com/lsh.html

Mary
Unread 04-05-2006, 08:27 PM

gotsmiles,
I had a LSH and everything has been great.
My pre-op was a call from the surgery center the day before the surgery and a bowel prep. I drank mag. citrate starting at 4:00pm and clear liquids after, nothing after midnight.
Recovery has gone very well, there was some discomfort for the first couple of days but everyday got better. I was driving in a week and back to work in two weeks. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register