? for 2 weekers w/TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? for 2 weekers w/TAH ? for 2 weekers w/TAH

Unread 04-04-2006, 11:00 AM
? for 2 weekers w/TAH

I had my uterus and cervix out, kept both ovaries. I was just wondering how others are feeling. Are you up and about like normal? How does your belly feel? Is it really swollen still?

Mine belly is still very swollen, I have been taking short walks up the street and back. But my belly still doesn't feel "normal". I still have some pain and a pulling feeling inside. I hear how others are up and walking a mile, I just don't think I could yet. Doctor said I could drive after two weeks, but don't feel up to that either. I just wanted to see how others were doing and if I was in the normal range. I know everyone heals differently, but I just wanted something to compare to. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2006, 11:24 AM
? for 2 weekers w/TAH

Hi,

I'm at 3.5 weeks now. I felt the same at two weeks. I made it around the block yesterday with my walking and was proud. No way I could walk a mile yet. My belly does not feel normal yet either and I don't expect it to. Our bodies were traumatized and it will take time to get back to normal. We all heal differently, but based on what my doc told me, what you describe is normal for two weeks.

Take care,
Unread 04-04-2006, 11:27 AM
? for 2 weekers w/TAH

Well I'm 4 weeks today but thought I'd tell you that what you are describing sounds alot like me. At 2 weeks I felt some pulling and pain too but other than that I felt good. Then I went and overdid it one weekend and last week (week 3) I was quite sore again. So far this week I feel great. But now I'm being smart and not going to go out and do too much. I couldn't walk a mile at 2 weeks. I know some women can but I really would have been sore doing that. Listen to your body and don't over do things. If you do you'll really be hating yourself, I know I was. I think you sound normal and my belly is still a bit swollen but it is much better this week. I woke up yesterday and today with zero pain. Just a bit swollen. Hang in there you are doing great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2006, 11:34 AM
? for 2 weekers w/TAH

I'm at 2 weeks and I have been walking three miles a day(Ok maybe only 2.8 miles). My doctor said I had a lot of scar tissue and the more I walked maybe it wouldn't adhere to somewhere it shouldn't. I am just a little worried about my incision. It isn't healing up as well in one spot. It is a little oozy. Yuck! Is that normal?
Unread 04-04-2006, 11:41 AM
? for 2 weekers w/TAH

Your belly will be swollen for a while yet, but it does get better. If you don't feel like driving or walking a mile just yet, then wait till you do. You are only 2 weeks post op, and sounds like you're about where you should be.

Dudette, my incision started oozing at 17 days post op. Had my doc take a look at it and he said it was normal. He also told me to walk and gave me some light exercises to do because I had so many adhsions. If you notice an odor or start runing a temp, call your doc right away.
Unread 04-04-2006, 11:44 AM
? for 2 weekers w/TAH

Shellbellz, what you describe sounds pretty much like me at two weeks. Like everyone tells you, we all heal at different rates. Listen to your body. I'm six weeks out, and I feel pretty good. But, I could not imagine walking a mile, let alone three, at two weeks. I was too tired and felt tool bloated. As far as driving was concerned, my head was still too fuzzy at that point.

Dudette, you amaze me. My incision also had a little oozy spot for a while. My doctor told me as long as it wasn't, like, dripping ooze, wasn't bloody, and didn't have a foul odor it was okay.
Unread 04-04-2006, 12:28 PM
? for 2 weekers w/TAH

I am 2 weeks post op today - Yippee!!

I was supposed to go for my 2-week check today but canceled because I do not feel I am ready to drive the 1+ hours to the doctor's (in the sleet and snow - gotta love Maine!) at this point. In fact, I don't feel I can drive to the end of the driveway!

I am able to move around much easier just the past day or so. Getting in and out of bed is no longer an event I have to plan. The thing that is bothering me the most is the "burning skin" feeling. It's worst at night, probably after moving around during the day. I work out of my home doing transcription. I worked at 6 days postop, but only intermittently for a total of maybe 2 hours. As the week went on, I gradually increased my time working. Yesterday I worked for about 5 hours and last night the burning was bothersome enough to take a percocet. I have a chair I can lean back in when I type, but I think it is the mere fact of sitting with my legs down that strains the incision and surrounding tissues. I still cannot sit in a straight chair, so I sit up in bed for all meals. What a pain in the butt, as well as other various places!

When I canceled my 2-week postop check, I asked the nurse if I was behind in healing since I cannot drive at this point. She said absolutely not. Everyone is different. I am very impatient. I'm angry that I cannot do what I consider minimally strenuous things...like sit in a chair and type for a living, as well as sit at the table for dinner. Walking the dog is quite a site - so I go out when it's dark. Me all hunched over waddling down the driveway, one hand with the leash, one hand on the incision, the dog repeatedly looking back over her shoulder at me probably laughing at me.

I am sleeping downstairs in my living room on the pull-out sofa. Takes up the whole freakin' room, which is another thing that drives me nuts. My bed upstairs is high off the floor, so climbing up and into it is not an option at this point.

I too have a very tiny spot in my incision that is a bit weepy. So, here I am at the age of 46 dressed like a 17-year-old bimbette with my underwear and pants rolled down below my incision, in my button-down shirt with the last 4 buttons undone because I cannot stand ANYTHING on my skin. If I had the figure of the 17-year-old bimbette, I wouldn't mind so much. Instead I look like Norm from the old TV show Cheers.

Oh, and to add to the fun - a few days ago I noticed a 1/2" piece of nylon stitching (looks like 500-lb test fishing line) sticking out of my Norm belly. I pulled, just a little, but it's firmly attached to something. Called the doctor's and they said just cut it close to the skin and it would go back in. By the time I got the nerve to do that, scissors in hand, the fishing line had regressed back inside, just a tiny little bit poking through my skin. I had to go lie down after that. EWWWWWWW!

I wish all you 2-weekers a healthy recovery. We may be at different stages of the healing process, but we can all come here and moan and groan and laugh with one another!
Unread 04-04-2006, 01:12 PM
? for 2 weekers w/TAH

HI
I had surgery the same day, TAH uterus and cervix gone. I feel pretty good. My stomach below the incision is some what swollen. I can tell when I've done to much. I don't think I'm quite ready to drive. Sometimes I feel light headed. They took my staples out on Saturday before I came home. I have those strip things, some of those are coming off. Good Luck with your recovery.
Donna
Unread 04-04-2006, 01:31 PM
? for 2 weekers w/TAH

HI there I had my surgery a day before you TAH,, my tummy still is swollen and it even feels heavy..as for driving I do but not very far...walking just to the corner and back...sleeping is not the greatest...but as the some of the sisters say it does get better so I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel....and Shellbellz your not alone...
good luck for a speedy recovery
Unread 04-04-2006, 01:46 PM
? for 2 weekers w/TAH

I'm at the 2 week mark. Feel pretty good but still make sure I nap every day or at least lay in the bed. the princess has never done this before and could adjust easily. Belly still swollen. I can get in my clothes I just can't stay in them. Feels like everything is pulling. Hurts sometimes but not much. Got the ok to walk - not racewalk but stroll as belly and energy permit. Still no permission to do any strength training at all. Dr. says I'll be much better off in the long run to take it really slow.
Elaine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register