Ok Now I am terrified | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok Now I am  terrified Ok Now I am terrified

Unread 04-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Ok Now I am terrified

Thursday is my surgery and I have been ok. Tpday I started fetting nauseous about it. I am scared of teh pain afterwards, I am scared of being under ..I am just terrified..I am sure this is normal but I keep thinking do I REALLY need this...I know it will make the pain and bleeding go away. My dh is just driving me nuts..he doesnt even seemed concerned..he keeps telling me it will be fine, dr has doen this ton of times...lol..i just want him to be worried a little..so I dont feel so crazy. I need to do somethign to calm down...I guess i am done raving like a lunatic...thanks for this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Ok Now I am terrified

Aw, sweetie -- I'm sorry you're having such a tough time right now.

I can relate to the dh not being quite as sympathetic as you'd like. Mine was really very good, but he got tired of hearing about the surgery so much (I admit I got a bit obsessed by the whole process). He started getting that glazed over look, and I realized he was tuning me out. It was just his way of dealing with things. I needed to remember that, although of course the surgery was happening to me, it was going to have an impact on his life, too.

It also could be that your husband is trying to convince himself that it's no big deal... in other words, maybe he's more frightened than he lets on. At least in my experience, my dh always seems to be ready to minimize the big stuff hoping it will just go away. Just a thought.

At any rate, we're here whenever you need us. I don't think you're crazy at all -- what you're feeling is absolutely normal. In fact, I'd be worried if you felt calm at this point! This surgery is a very big deal and you have every reason to be anxious.

If you have time, you might find some comfort reading the "castle stories" in the Tell Your Hyst-Story sub-forum. I found myself reading story after story in my pre-op days. There was something very calming about reading all of those experiences, so I had a better idea of what was in store for me at the hospital.

Hugs to you.
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Ok Now I am terrified

My day is Thursday also, I have been very nervoius also but we are going to be just fine. They have come so far with this surgery so don't worry to much. I'm so tired of the pain in my back due to enlarged utreus because of fibroids. Also having so many problems such as cysts on my ov's. Thank-God there was not cancer. I just went threw an biopsy on my right breast and again thank God no cancer. It was very painful because before they did the surgery they had to take two wires while I was wide awake and use them as a guide and I never had any thig hurt so bad in all my life (they had to push them threw as they x-rayed)nothing for pain except a bit of numbness on the out side. I don't think any thing will ever hurt as bad as that. I just cried!! I was so happy to go to the surgery room knowing I was going to be put asleep and would not have to be put threw that pain again. Keep your chin up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Ok Now I am terrified

I'm sure when I get closer to mine I'll go crazy too. I think that is all normal. Your husband is probably trying to help you feel less crazy about the situation. He loves you a great deal and doesn't want to see you upset right now. I'm glad this site is here, its great to be able to vent, and express all those feeling we may not be able to talk about to the people we love. So...keep venting.
Unread 04-05-2006, 04:25 AM
Ok Now I am terrified

Txdaisiedee,
My hyster is tomorrow also and now I'm starting to getting scared! I went through shear panic and anxiety for 3 months, and have had a calm spell for the last few days but now I'm getting worried again. Please try not to worry too much about being under....I've had many, many surgeries that we difficult and very risky and had no complications. TG our docs and the anesthesiologists know what there doing these days! I'd have hated to have this done 50 years ago!! And yes, thee will be pain, but remember there is a light at the end of all this! Take a warm bath and a nap, watch a favorite movie, listen to calming music, do your nails and deep condition your hair.....pamper & be good to yourself today!! You'll be in my prayers!
Hugs,
Cath
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Ok Now I am terrified

txdaisydee, I was in the same shoes as you. DH, while being totally supportive, did not seem to be fazed by the surgery at all. Plus I was nervous about going under and the pain (I am such a baby!!). But I am here to tell you that I got through it just fine. The pain was controlled (I never let go of my pump) and once I got home, I stayed ahead of the pain by taking pain meds regularly. You too, will be happy when it is over. You'll do great!
Unread 04-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Ok Now I am terrified

Thanks so much. DH is big on denying everythign ...his motto is it wont happen to us...he just doesnt want to think about it either. Today is just going to eb worse...lol...i don't see me sleeping much tonite..oh well..ill ge tplenty of rest soone en ough i guess...Hope everyone's surgery goes smoothly and easily.
Unread 04-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Ok Now I am terrified

Well I'm off in the morning to arrive at 8:45. It is after midnight and I wish I could sleep. Wide awake'not good but I guess I will get lots of sleep tomowwor. Cant belive the day has arrived. Just want to say I will be thinking and saying a prayer for all of us. Talke with you sweat ladies in a few days. Dont know how long I will be in depends if they have to cut me open or not. Not sure because of possible scare tissue from past surgery. To boot I started my period today of all months it just had to be on timeO FIGURE!!
Unread 04-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Breathe in the Recovery Room!

If I can offer any advice, it would be to make sure that you try to make yourself wake up and BREATHE when you are waking up out of the anethesia. Your recovery room nurses will be telling you to breathe - MAKE yourself do it.

I had my hyst. 15 days ago. The morphine that they gave me for pain caused me to NOT want to breathe - it's a common side effect. So, the nurses kept yelling at me to breathe, but I can clearly remember NOT wanting to breathe because if I didn't, I'd go back to a deep sleep and not feel the pain. I even remember bargaining with them in my head "I'll take two breaths to please them, then I'll not breathe again". If I didn't breathe, I would slip back into unconsciousness and it wouldn't hurt. I wasn't fully aware of why I was doing it, I just knew that not breathing would take me away from the pain for a while.

Since I wouldn't breathe, they stopped giving me morphine...so it made the whole pain management cycle worse. Now, I will say that if the nurses would have stopped yelling and would have tried to explain this to me, I may not have continued to try to slip back into an unconscious state. But who knows...I don't walk in their shoes.

Once I got to my room and my pain was apparent to my floor nurse - I was sobbing and very clearly breathing!!!... my doctor was notified and the morphine drip was started. It took about three hours though - three hours that I would never want to go through again.

I also recall telling myself to calm down- crying made it hurt bad. I do think that I was hysterical at that point. My dear boyfriend had my pulmonologist on the phone trying to figure out if I wasn't reacting to the drug. I have narcolepsy and there are some drugs that we don't respond well to. But, in the end, it just had to do with the reaction to morphine and the recovery room nurse's way to make sure I was "out of the woods" while in their care - albeit breathing while sobbing.

So sisters....breathe when they tell you to breathe. You will be rewarded with more pain medicine before the pain of your incision becomes unbearable. I don't write this to scare you - just to give you an inside sense of what will happen when you wake up.

Good luck, be strong and breathe!
Unread 04-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Ok Now I am terrified

How interesting! I can't remember much about my recovery room experience and I was there for HOURS waiting for my room. But I was aware that the oxygen in my nose was driving me crazy, I hated it. The nurse cut the ends off to be less irritating to my nose. But when I made it to my room, the nurse explained that I had to stay on oxygen because I wasn't breathing correctly. Finally I figured it out. As long as I kept breathing while they were taking my vitals, I could get the thing off of me. Once I had it off, I had to keep reminding myself to breath when they were near me. Well, once I forgot and the nurse whipped it back on me. But shortly after that, I had it off for good and was fine. It was just so strange to me, though, that I was forgetting to take breaths. Thanks for sharing because I hadn't heard of this happening to others. I figured it was the morphine and thank god they did not take mine away. It never left my hand! Sorry you had such a bad experience with the pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register