Lost and confused!?!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lost and confused!?!? Lost and confused!?!?

Unread 04-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Lost and confused!?!?

Hello All,
I'm 28 and awaiting the final decision biopsy. I'm scared to death. The DR is suggesting a radical hysto and I'm not even sure what that means. He says I have cervical cancer. Can anyone help me to have some kind of idea what to expect? I'm reading all these scary posts about hospital time in days and weeks of recovery. I guess I still don't know how big this surgery will be. Anything you can throw my way is a help.
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Reassuring

Hi, Ginny,
Here's a link that may help you feel a little better about having surgery: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=241364

If you don't already have a GYN-ONC doing your surgery you might want to consider having one on your medical team. It's also okay to get more than one opinion if you feel you need one.

I can't address cervical cancer specifically but someone will be along -probably tomorrow- who can.

Hang in there. I know it's probably a surreal time for you right now.

Hugs and best regards,
Kat3
Unread 04-05-2006, 05:15 AM
Lost and confused!?!?

Hi Ginny:

I know how nerve-wracking the waiting can be. I had a total hysterectomy for uterine cancer, so the operation I had was probably a little different than the one you *may* have. I want to let you know that my experience was that, while there is no denying the first few days were painful, I was out of the hospital in 3 days, and had a quick recovery (within weeks, not months). The doctor did not restrict my physical activities as I have seen mentioned on the site. So please, as they say, "prepare for the worst, expect the best."

Regards, Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2006, 05:54 AM
Lost and confused!?!?

s Ginny.

I hope your biopsy comes back clean. But if not, I strongly suggest a second opinion with a gynecological oncologist. They are the ones that are the experts when it comes to things like cervical cancer.
Let us know what your biopsy has to say.
xoxo
k9
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:14 AM
Lost and confused!?!?

Ginny!

Until you know the results of the biopsy, you won't really know if a radical hysterectomy is what you need. If your doctor is a regular ob/gyn, then he will most likely refer you to a gynocologist oncologist (gyn/onc) to determine the treatment. If he doesn't, then it's your option to find one on your own or ask for a referral. An ob/gyn is not normally qualified to deal with cancer, so, at the very least, you'll want a gyn/onc on your medical team, as Kat suggested above.

If you do need a radical hysterectomy, how you handle it is highly personal depending on the size of the tumor and the extent of the surgery. The majority of women recover extremely well from this surgery in weeks and not months. A few do have long-lived complications (more pesky than life-changing) but I'm sure all of them believe their complications are small prices to pay for their lives. A radical hysterectomy can take the cancer away forever. Doesn't that sound sweet?

You will get through whatever you have to deal with. Like Blue said above, the waiting and wondering is in some ways harder than the treatment itself. Please let us know the results of your biopsy and the planned treatment!

If you have further questions, ask them here. There are a number of cervical cancer survivors on this site.

s!!!
Unread 04-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Lost and confused!?!?

Ginny,

I can totally relate. I just recently was diagnosed with cervical CIS and underwent a TAH, did not have radical because nodes were clean, and I did get to keep my ovaries because I was in the earliest stages. It is so scary to have to sit and wait for the "final diagnosis", especially when you get on the net and read everything, I did too. I am 3 weeks post op now, and have felt pretty good for the last 3 days!

Hang in there, and if you believe in prayer (I DO), then pray, it helps!!

Best of Luck and my prayers are with you as you wait and then decide what to do.

~Kelpn~
TAH, 3/14/06 due to Cervical CIS, endo, abdominopelvic adhesions, kept ovaries
Unread 04-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Lost and confused!?!?

Hi Ginny - I am 27 and know how scary this must be for you. I had a gyne oncologist do my surgery and I reccomend you find one as well. Until you get more answers, try not to speculate about what may or may not come your way. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and was in the hospital for 6 days. It was about 3 weeks after my surgery that I really started to feel pretty good. I know it doesn't always go that way, but my body seemed to bounce back from everything really well. Please keep us updated when you find out more about your results. I'll be thinking about you.
Unread 04-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Lost and confused!?!?

Hi Ginny, I too am 28 and just diagnosed with cervical cancer, with a reccomendation for a radical hyst. It was explained to me that they remove the cervix and uterus, but leave the ovaries (as long as they aren't also effected). This means you'll still produce eggs and should the topic of children come up, with your ovaries, you can use a surrogate. Again, this is just how it was explained to me.

You really should try contacting your doctor with your questions. IF he doesn't give you answers, you may want to seek a second opinion.
Unread 04-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Lost and confused!?!?

Hi Ginny

this will have to be short cause I'm at work - PM me if you like and I will answer when I have a little more time.

I'm almost exactly one year out from my cervical cancer diagnosis (April 12, 2005) and I understand how scared you must be.

I found the emotional distress to be much greater than the physical. I had a radical hyst with ovaries removed, and overall, although I had a few minor post-op issues, it was not unbearable. I would describe it as being "very sore" rather than "in pain". Well, I've been very sore after horseback riding or some other unaccustomed activity too!

I was very scared about the general anesthetic since I had never had an op before (heck - had never even been in the hospital overnight), but it was fine. One second you're awake, the next you're out, the next you're in recovery. That's what it's like! There is no sense of any time having passed.

I was in the hospital 4 days - though they tried to send me home after 3

I was sending work emails from my laptop in week 2 after my op, working 3 or so hours a day from home in week 3 and back in the office, (thinner and a little worse for wear, but ok) in week 5. (I'm in the tech industry and work on the computer all day).

take care and keep posting until you find some answers. You'll feel better once a plan is in place and you know what to expect.

xoxo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register