Hysterectomy for benign ovarian cyst? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy for benign ovarian cyst? Hysterectomy for benign ovarian cyst?

Unread 04-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Ovarian cysts

Dear Daisies,
I'm so sorry you had to go through all that wait and worry, only to find out that you never had a serious problem to begin with. I can certainly understand your lingering frustration -- but what a relief to know things are OK!

To answer your question about my impatience. The reason I'm concerned about waiting until May 5th is two fold. First, my mass is 21 cms, ie. the size of a cantaloupe, and probably weights in excess of 5 lbs. That's not only quite a load to lug around, it's also pressing on other organs, causing generalized physical discomfort and malfunction. Finally, it's still growing -- with every day that passes, the mass is larger and I'm more uncomfortable.

The second reason has to do with my age. At 58, large ovarian masses can be cystadenocarcinoma, a fairly aggressive form of cancer. The fact that I don't appear to have any involvement elsewhere means that -- should it be malignant -- that mass needs to come out STAT before it starts seeding to the liver, peritoneum, and elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm glad you now are safe and reassured. I also wish you'd had a gynecological oncologist, but the fact that you're comfortable with your regular doctor is a sign he did the best he could under the circumstances.

Thanks again for your post; I'm grateful for your prayers.
Annette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Hysterectomy for benign ovarian cyst?

Yeah, I agree it is a good idea to get it out soon, but my thought is that if you get a surgery date from your doctor, and it isn't for 5 weeks it is possible that you may get a sooner one from the oncologist.

Mine was less than 10 cm. I can't believe you are actually at home right now and not in the hospital!

Let us know when your surgery will be.
Unread 04-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Ovarian cysts

Daisies --
It's the oncologist who can't see me before May 5th; hence my concern.

Again, thanks for your prayers and good thoughts. I'll let everyone know what happens as soon as I have news on Monday (?).
Annette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2006, 08:02 PM

International1
I would probably keep the May 5 appointment, ask to be put on a cancellation list. Then ask my Dr. if there is anyone else he could recommend, call the insurance company and see if there is another gyn/onc on their list or check for myself to see if anyone could see you sooner. Many of us have had the experience of having surgery pretty quick if the gyn/onc feels it should be.

In the meantime, you are uncomfortable which is definitely not fun.

Let us know what you find out as far as an appointment.

s
Jane
Unread 04-30-2006, 05:52 PM

Dear Audrey, dear all --

I am now ten days post surgery, and doing well. My growth turned out to be a huge (22-cm!) mucinous cystadenoma, and I am very glad to be rid of it. No wonder I'd been feeling so tired and unwell for months -- it had literally pushed all my abdominal organs out of place, and was even pushing on my diaphragm, making it difficult to breathe.

My surgeon gave me a choice: if the growth is benign, we take out the ovaries only ("Do you want this to happen again?"). If the mass is malignant, it's the whole 9 yards. Since it ended up being benign (I guess miracles still happen!), I'm now one mass and two ovaries lighter.

Anyway, all is well that ends well. I'm now healing, and will be back at in the classroom on Tuesday.

Thanks to all who responded to me when I was in such distress. I find it amazing how women reach out and help one another. I cannot even imagine a group of men doing the same thing. Bless you all, and thanks to all -- especially good, sweet, Audrey.

Annette
Unread 04-30-2006, 07:14 PM

YEAH!
I was wondering what happening with you... this is great news!!! Just remember to be good to yourself and give yourself plenty of time to heal from your surgery... so follow the princess the rules!

Best wishes.
Unread 04-30-2006, 07:55 PM

Excellent news! !!

So, who did wind up doing your surgery? And was it laparoscopic, or "open"? It does seem to be a bit early to be thinking about the classroom on Tuesday unless you are feeling really excellent -- and even then, you really need to be very careful for these next few weeks. An oophorectomy, even laparoscopic, is NOT a small surgery, and you need your recovery time. Obviously, not having that inner "alien" compressing everything, you're feeling better automatically -- but it is still major surgery, and it's a time to be very kind to yourself!

Do not be too surprised if you experience some unexpected menopausal symptoms. "Natural" menopause does still imply that your body is producing some (small amounts) hormonally, including testosterone as well as the estrogen and progesterone. Some post-menopausal ladies who'd thought that they were well past the whole hot flash stage found themselves surprised by some symptoms after surgery. Even those tiny amounts of hormones were still impacting your overall well-being. But it sounds like the OB-GYN you saw might be able to help you out in that department should it turn out to be an issue. It is especially important to keep an eye on your bone density; bone loss can be dramatic in the first year in a way that isn't seen with "natural" menopause.

Thanks so much for letting us know how it all went. What a relief that it was benign! And thanks for thinking of me...

(a gentle one for that still-healing belly),

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register