spotting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-05-2006, 08:27 PM
spotting

I am almost three years post-op and have been spotting for about 3 or 4 months.........not too often, but enough to make me wonder what is going on. Anybody know what could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2006, 11:07 PM
spotting

Hi,
Good grief! I believe it needs to be checked out. Scar tissue on the cuff can bleed but at this late date..??? Please go in, I sure would, and I don't like it there!
Maralyn
Unread 04-06-2006, 08:37 PM
spotting

Hi,
To make a long story short, I had my hyster in 2004 with no problems to follow. Last Dec. (05) I started bleeding also. It is like a lite period. I have had an ultrasound that revealed a mass. My gyno thought that might be causing it so, I had another surgery. That was in Feb (06) and I'm still bleeding. He then put me on estrogen cream. It caused an infection so I stopped it and was given a cream to take care of the infection. This is April and I'm still bleeding. Now I'm scheduled for a "incision of mucosa vaginal angle repair". In short, he thinks the bleeding is coming from a stitch way up in the corner of my vaginal wall that he can't see with the naked eye. This will be my 4th surgery since 04. I asked him if this is a common problem after a hyster. He told me he does 100s of hysters a year and this is the first time he has encountered this. I hope this is the problem, because I'm running out of patients for guessing. My surgery is April 18. I will keep you posted. Please let me know if you and your dr. have any luck with stopping your bleeding.

Take Care, Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Me too and I was treated for it by a better gyn.

I've had some bleeding and feeling rough areas where I was stitched up at the top of the vagina. It took a full year to finally find a competent dr. to give me some estrogen cream and he told me to use it once or twice a week for the rest of my life. I did see another gyn previously and he gave me something with petrolatum and I can't remember the other ingredient but it was a mixed compound that my insurance wouldn't cover. It was about $30. Anyway that dr. went off of my insurance so I saw another dr. recommended to me and I had only seen him once prior to this before. I didn't feel comfortable with him, he was to quick, and wouldn't explain anything. He just said that he couldn't see anything but did give me a script for some estrogen but after I left and looked at it, I noticed it was for the suppository form. I decided not to fill it because I can't hold in suppositories that well. Also at the appointment I had asked the nurse to make sure and not dump the urine down the sink as I wanted to be sure my UTI was over and she said the dip stick was negative and even though the dip sticks were expired they have shown positive on women with UTI's. I told her that a dip stick can show up clear even when a UTI is present and that's why I asked for a culture. Anyway when I went in to see the dr. and then came out to ask about the urine it had already been dumped down the sink. I decided that was not the place for me. The dr. was very good about answering my phone calls and even told me that he wished I could get in earlier that day but I had just called him when the bleeding started so I wouldn't have known. It was a Friday and I saw him on Monday. The same thing happened on a weekday around 4 but he said again he wished I would have called earlier. The thing is that it happened after a B.M. and I wasn't even expecting any blood. He asked me if I was sure it was coming from the vaginal area and I said yes. He didn't believe me. I had to explain that I use baby wipes and didn't see any blood on them and after I emptied my bladder I noticed blood on the tissue. I decided to take a piece of tissue and just put it up a little inside the vaginal area and a whole lot of blood came out. Anyway that same dr. decided to do a rectal exam without telling me he was going to do one so it caught me by surprise and that was the last I saw of him. I now have a better gyn. It took me about four gyn's to go through and the one that gave me the estrogen cream said even though he didn't see anything he did say that thinning of the scar tissue could cause bleeding, pain during intercourse, recurrent UTI's which I have had, and discharge. Hope this helps you out. Good luck.
Unread 04-07-2006, 04:54 PM
spotting

Maralyn - thanks for the reply.....It's one of those things......I know I should go get it checked out, but I am so dreading what I might hear.......everytime I think it has gone away......there it is again. I guess I'm just going to have to make myself go. Ugh!

Jody - thanks for the reply.........I hope this next surgery fixes the problem.........so sorry for all you've had to go through. My problem doesn't seem to be quite as extensive, but it is really bothersome, and I know that I need to get it checked out. Just didn't know what might be causing it......or if this was at all normal.
Unread 04-07-2006, 04:59 PM
spotting

I have to add another dr. I saw who I thought was a quack that I waited for over three hours to see recommended that I have my ovaries out! He never even read the report I gladly brought in as it was requested by the staff to bring in my reports. I had asked him if he read my personal note before he started and he said no so then he read it quicky and then proceeded with the exam. I didn't think much of him especially since he never looked at the dr. reports. My dd just asked a simple question about what was a cysts and he said it was a fluid filled sac on an ovary. I did have some but my gyn said they were normal for a person my age and nothing to be worried about. Certainly I didn't need to have my ovaries out. Upon leaving I asked him about what I should do for the discharge and pain he said to douche with vinegar and then come back if I wasn't better so he could then give me a script of estrogen. Well I had already tried that and it was even documented in the other dr's reports and he just focused on my ovaries. He even called me late Mon around 9 after I had previously wanted to speak with someone on Fri because one of my blood test was mailed to me and something didn't look right and I told the staff it was scarring me and they promised someone would call me back that night. No one did and the dr. I saw finally called me late Mon after I was already in bed. He said to come in again the following month to start all over again because he didn't realize I was in there for scar tissue stuff even though I told him that was the main problem I was in there for. It was also on the note that I asked him to read.

He was just to quick and when I told him on the phone that I waited over three hours to see him he just said "I just thought you wanted to get out of here as quickly as possible so I was quick with you". I told him that I didn't appreciate that and thought he would spend quality time with me trying to find out how to treat me rather then just want to yank my ovaries out even though I didn't have any problems. Also the ultrasound report showed no fluid in the cysts so he may have made a mistake when he answered my dd's question. He said I'll see you next month. I hung up and thought to myself there is no way I'm going back to that quack. He was also a chief resident of a city and it took over three months to get the appointment for a problem. It only took me a week to get in with the other good gyn I found who treated my problem with the cream.
Unread 04-09-2006, 08:30 AM
spotting

You are welcome. Just to let you know, any bleeding, whether it is lite or spotty should not be happening after a hyster. To me, that is a sign something is going on. Best of luck with you and your Dr.
I'll post follow- up after surgery. I know I'll bleed from surgery alone. Hopefully this time it will end....

Take Care, Jody
Unread 04-16-2006, 08:57 AM
14 Months post op and spottingtoo

I am at my wits end too. I had a partial in Feb 2005 and all went well. In late Dec 2005 I started to spot but didn't think to much of it. Nothing happened in Jan 2005, but then in Feb and in Mar I started spotting like a small period 3-5 days of bleeding. I made and appointment with my Dr that performed the surgery and assured me nothing was wrong and that it was rare but spotting happens in some women and I was one of those women. I am almost 49 and still have not had any of the menapausal systems ( I still have my ovaries). If I would have known that I would be spotting like this I would have had him take everything out. Anyway I am going to another Dr just for a second opinion just to ease my mind. If anyone else has heard that it is sometimes normal to spot after a partial Please Please let me know. Thanks so much for letting me vent, just love this site so much
Unread 04-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Spotting too

You don't know how relieved I was to read this thread. I have had some spotting off and on since January. I didn't pay any attention to it until last month when it became heavy enough to soak the bottom of my underwear. I happened to be away at a conference at the time. In the past I had linked the spotting to intercourse or BMs, but since I was away from home there is no way it is related to having sex. Sorry if its TMI. I went in to see my Dr when I got back home. She did not see any granulation tissue. She said the vaginal cuff looks great. So where is the bleeding coming from ???? She didn't think it had anything to do with the complex cyst on my left ovary. So now what ????
This can be so frustrating !!!! I hope ya'll find an answer and let the rest of us know the results.
Take care and Best Wishes,
Nancy
Unread 04-18-2006, 08:04 PM
spotting

Hello Again,

Had My Surgery Today As Out- Patient. It Took Less Than 30 Min. Dr. Told My Dh That He Still Couldn't See Where I Was Bleeding From But, That This Could Have Been The Only Area. I Really Like My Gyno But, That's Not Very Reasuring. I Knew I Was Gonna Have Some Bleeding After The Procedure And Boy, Am I. My Dr Told Dh That I Could Do This Up To 6 Weeks. I Just Want It To Stop. Now It's A Waiting Game Again To See If It Stops Once & For All. I'm A Very Positive Person ( I Think ) So, I'm not Gonna Think Bad Thoughts For Now. I Will Post Again & Hopefully With Good News.
Take Care To All Who Are Going Through This. You Are Never Alone As Long As We Have This Web- Site.
Gonna Go For Now, Still Tired From Surgery Today...

Jody

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register