Large Fibroid.....stories please!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Large Fibroid.....stories please!! Large Fibroid.....stories please!!

Unread 04-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Large Fibroid.....stories please!!

I had my hysterectomy Uterus removal only on 24th Feb this year. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. I am 43 so still quite young for this operation, my surgeon left my cervix and ovaries to make my menopause as natural as could be. I had this operation done under epidural and light sedative and have suffered no ill effects and have not had to take any painkillers at all since leaving hospital. Six weeks on, i feel so much better. My fibroid filled uterus weighed 5.2 kilos and i am so glad to be parted from it. I am sure you will feel instant results as i did. Obviously you will be a little sore but that doesn,t last forever. Try to stay calm it will help you get through this time in your life. I wish you every success with it and make sure you rest afterwards, enjoy the pampering you deserve it !
Love Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2006, 05:54 PM

Cinnamon- That's great that your ovaries are healthy, and don't worry about losing your cervix. For some women, it might be helpful to keep it, but women who didn't keep it seem happy with their decision, and getting rid of the source of some abnormal cells will be a huge relief.

General anasthesia has improved enormously in the past decade. Talk to your anesthesiologist--they can really help ease your concerns, particularly about pain and nausea. My anethesiologist made sure I had caffeine in my mix, since I tend to get caffeine withdrawal headaches, and she made sure I had lots of anti-nausea meds (I did get nausea a day later when the nurse withdrew my IV early and put me on pain pills before I had any food--a big no, no). Torodal is another drug they can put you on in the post-op period that can help a lot with pain and inflammation, so see if your surgeon uses that. They now routinely put antiobiotics in the IV just before surgery, so the risk of infection is a lot less than a decade ago. It's major surgery, certainly, but it's the safest major surgery by far, and the medical team will do all they can to control pain.

You might consider getting a pre-surgery relaxation tape (from amaxon or maybe your library). If you search above, you can find lots of recommendations on this site. I bought the Peggy Huddleston tape because so many women on this site recommended it, and it helped me relax a lot, and I think it helped lessen pain and speed recovery.
Unread 04-08-2006, 06:27 PM

Cinnamon, I can relate to fybroids, I had some not as large as yours, caused all kind of pain/bleeding. I am 50, had a total hysterectomy, ovaries were healthy, but doctor suggested to have them removed.....since I would be in menapouse soon.. had been already having hot flashes.. did I do the right thing getting the ovaries out I don't know. I think about it a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2006, 02:55 AM

Hi Cinnamon72,

This is a very emotional and trying time for you and I want to send you a Big Hug.
Wish you didn't have to deal with this, but you will get a lot of information and support from this site.

My first question is: Have you had a second opinion? One should always get a second opinion when faced with surgery, no matter how "obvious" your condition seems.

My second question is: Did your doctor discuss myomectomy with you at all? This is the removal of the fibroid only. I know there are a lot of doctors out there who don't do myomectomies because it takes more training and special equipment but any size, kind or number of fibroids can be removed this way by doctors who are trained in problems like yours. You can read some info about this at www.alternativesurgery.com

As for the ovaries, my personal experience makes me caution you strongly against removing them. I've had disastrous results from my oophorectomy that have effected my overall health and probable life expectancy. My hysterectomy results aren't any better but I believe the biggest harm to me came from losing the ovaries.

Many years ago, when I was young and weighed only 102 lbs, I had a giant ovarian cyst removed (they said it was the size of a large grapefruit) and although the surgery was major and the recovery painful, within a year I was back to normal and felt great. When I had my TAH/BSO I was misdiagnosed and misinformed about the possible consequences of the surgery. I went into this surgery naive and expecting something like the prior surgery but that is not what happened at all. Having had both surgeries, I would urge anyone faced with the choice to choose the less radical first. Having everything removed is a procedure that cannot be undone.

Using the same reasoning as the nurse that told you to have your ovaries removed to eliminate the "possibility" of ovarian cancer, then you might as well have your breast removed while you are under, because your chances of breast cancer are much higher than ovarian cancer. See the problem with that line of thought? Remember, the number one killer of women is heart disease. Heart disease kills more women than all the cancers combined. When you have a hysterectomy, you raise your risk of heart disease significantly. This is because hysterectomy jeopardizes the ovaries and the ovaries are endocrine organs that produce chemicals that protect your heart. (Also, btw you reduce your overall life expectancy by approx. 10 years.) These are facts I learned the hard way, after I allowed my ovaries to be removed and became another one of these statistics.

Are you on birth control pills? False positives with pap smears are common with women on BC pills and also with other medications and hormonal conditions. Sometimes fixing these problems stop the abnormal paps. Has your doctor considered or discussed with you the role a hormonal imbalance might be playing in your fibroid condition? These are questions I would want answered before I gave up my cervix.

Before you make up your mind, please read everything you can about your condition. Do research online and at the library and book stores. Also, I suggest that you don't limit your HysterSister research to the pre-op and post-op forums; there are some very experienced sisters on the other forums like The Road Less Traveled and Sexual Dysfunction and although their stories may cause some anxiety for you, I still believe it is better to hear from all points of view when you are making a decision as difficult as this one. Unfortunately, many of the post-op problems we suffer are long term and don't show up in the first year or two after surgery. Time can change the wisdom of council from experienced women. The only thing worse than having one (or more) of the possible negative consequences of this surgery is finding out that you were misinformed and that information that may have had a bearing on your decision was withheld or unknown to you at the time you made your decision. This way, if you have done your research and you are fully informed, then you will not have a case of the awful "if onlys." You will be at peace because you will know you did the best you could for yourself and made the right decision for you.

What you are facing is indeed, very, very scary and you certainly have the right to your fears. But please don't let your fears rush you into something you don't fully understand or know for sure to be the best course of treatment for you.

Best wishes,
Unread 04-11-2006, 07:40 AM

I was in a bit of a similar boat as you. I didn't know I had fibroids until August of 2001, while I was pregnant with my son. Ultrasound and MRI measured the largest one at about 17 x 24 cm....and I also carried a pregnancy to full term with that fibroid in there, and three others, 3-5 cm each. I had a vertical incision c-section, and it was the first surgery of my life. Sure, it was difficult, especially at first, but once the staples came out, wow did I feel so much better! By that time the only discomfort was knowing I couldn't do the things I felt like I could do! I still looked very much pregnant, and 5 months after ds was born, I was on the operating table again, incision re-opened, to remove the fibroids. The large one was so large, it had to come out in pieces....it wouldnt' fit through the same incision my 7 lb 5 oz, 19.5" son came thru. So once it was over, the "pile" was soccer ball/basketball sized, and close to 20 lbs. I went from having had no surgery to now 5 surgeries in 4 years. All fibroid related. Just two weeks ago, I had a hysterectomy, I am 31 years old. The fibroids, after two myomectomies, kept coming back, and I finally decided it was time to just be done with the whole thing. I was extremely depressed before surgery, so far now, I have been at peace with my decision, and optomistic, no regrets. I will not have fibroid problems again. So, we're close in age, and have both had very large fibroids...maybe my story can give you some comfort.... I too was scared of being "put to sleep," but it sure makes time go by quickly! And in being awake for my vertical c-section, I would much rather be asleep.....knowing what they were doing down there, and all the pulling I felt....being asleep is much easier! I had one ovary removed, and was able to keep the other. One was so covered in scar tissue from prior surgeries it wasn't functioning anyway. Just thought I'd share a bit of my story, I remember my nerves were shot....but think of how you'll feel on the other side! Take care,
Angie
Unread 04-11-2006, 07:48 AM

I feel for you {{{sister}}}} I too, had a HUGH fibroid and yes, they make life VERY uncomfortable .......mine all of a sudden GREW to enormous proportions too,within months and had to be dealt with.........As far as keeping your ovaries; if there are no cysts or other pathological reason`s they should come out ;HANG ON TO THEM!!!!! no matter what your age is,your ovaries perform valueable functions throughout your life; to part with them JUST BECAUSE just isn`t a reason...........my surgeon actually told me as little as 10 yrs. ago,they didn`t give woman the option; especially if she was 45 or over..........healthy or not ,they came OUT!!!!! recent research (within the last 10 yrs.) has proved that this approach was unnessary; maybe your "nurse friend" was umong this group who didn`t have a choice and she`s just repeating what the Dr.`s told her (back then) My surgeon believes now ,that if the organs are healthy,you don`t have a strong history of ovarian cancer in the family and you have a desire to keep them,then by all means ,keep them ..........I was 45 when I had my hyst and I was grateful he and I dicussed the option VERY throughly............{{{{hugs}}}} and good wishes to you as you make your journey towards your hyst !!! keep us posted as to how your doing,okay???? Blessings,Renee
Unread 04-11-2006, 09:33 AM

I too have a large fibroid that is why I am having surgery May 2,2006. I am scared too. I am going to my pre op appt today. I have high hopes that everything will be ok. This site is helping me alot to ease my fears.
Unread 04-11-2006, 09:43 AM

Hi!

Well, of course, you and I both know that life does go on after surgery, and for most women it goes on very well. There are, of course, some for whom things don't work out as well, and we have special forums here at HysterSisters for women who have ongoing problems after hysterectomy, and some who even have more problems after surgery. I don't say that to scare you, but I do think it's important to understand all of the possibilities so at least you are aware that they could happen before you have the operation.

As for fibroids -- yep, I had 'em, too. I had "over 30" (I guess they stopped counting!) of them at the time of my surgery, ranging in size from .5 to 3.5 cm. I really wasn't in all that much pain, either, other than my very painful, heavy periods. But my uterus was boggy and never contracted after the birth of my ds in 2000, so things just "weren't right".

All in all, I'm still glad I had the surgery, although I'm not jumping up and down. I know I needed it, though.
Unread 04-11-2006, 10:29 AM

The first thing you need to do is RELAX. I know that is easier said than done sometimes, but try. It makes the waiting so much easier. I had a vertical incision, and I had no idea what to expect. I went into the hospital at 6. They got me ready for surgery, this meant that I had my IV, talked to the drs, nurses, and my husband. I think he was trying to get me to relax, he asked if he could do the IV and he also asked if he could be in the OR. Of course the answers to those were NO. Anyway, I got into the OR and I dont remember much from there. I remember waking up in the Recovery, and I remember being moved to my room, dont remember the ride up, but my husband said I was talking to him the whole time. I got to my room and I think I slept, again, dont remember much. I had the Morphine Drip, which was great. That was Thursday. Friday I woke up, and my dr came in and said I did great. The Cathetar and IV came out and they told me if I did not go pee by 5PM, I would have it put back in. They left the line for the IV, so that if I needed it again, it would be easier on me. I got up to go to the bathroom, and my husband asked if I wanted to go for a walk, I said sure, I walked out of my room and threw up. I did that 3 times Friday, finally Friday evening was able to keep food down. My husband wanted to be there when the dr came for rounds, so he came in about 6 on Saturday. The dr came in and I had been hoping to go home on Saturday, but she said that since I had been sick on Friday, she wanted me to stay until Sunday. Saturday was uneventful, I was able to go take my walks, and it was nice to get out of my room. I came home on Sunday. I really have had no problems. A little sore if I do too much walking, or getting up and down. Just remember, you have dr orders for a reason, listen to them, they know what they are talking about. Also, this board has been very helpful to me. Just remember, more people will post their bad experiences, not good ones. Any questions, post them and they will be answered, there are alot of ladies who have been where you are. Good Luck to you.
Unread 04-11-2006, 11:00 AM

I was half way through menapause and my doctor found "a mass" during a routine physical. I went to a surgeon who did a lot of tests and recommended surgery. (Another surgeon said the same thing.) My fibroid went from ping pong size to baseball in 2 months. When they did the surgery they found several more so I became a TAH.

I enjoyed every minute of my six-week paid "vacation". Read a little, relaxed a little, actually returned to work feeling enlightened.

I have no regrets, no problems, and it's been a year and the scar is fading nicely (right now I look like I have a dotted line straight across!).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register