information needed quickly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

information needed quickly information needed quickly

Unread 04-09-2006, 07:34 PM
information needed quickly

Hello to all you sisters, I had inadvertently posted this thread on the introduce yourself and was advised to post here, so here goes. I have just been diagnosed with endometrial cancer this past Monday, my hysterectomy date is scheduled for Thursday April 13th. My Gyn/Onc will be doing this laporoscopically. From all the research I have read it would indicate this operation should be done abdominally. Everything is happening sooo fast. First my diagnosis, then a visit to the Gyn/Onc then I had a CAT scan of the pelvis, abdomen and lungs on Friday, and I will have an appt. for medical clearance for surgery this week, then the surgery on Thursday. On top of all this I have a severe case of uterine prolapse. (oh yay! )which makes me want to get this over and done with ASAP. Has anyone with cancer had a hysterectomy laporoscopically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2006, 08:19 PM

Hi,
I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer on Dec. 20th and had surgery Jan. 9th. My doctor explained that she had to go abdominal because that way she could see all my other organs and check them for cancer. They also took a sample of the abdominal fluid for pathology testing. Maybe you should let your doctor know about your concerns and what you have read.
Best wishes for a cancer free outcome!
Judy
Unread 04-09-2006, 08:32 PM

My doctor (gyn/onc) also opted for the abdominal surgery. He said it could be done vaginally, but preferred to inspect surrounding tissues. I was more comfortable having him check things more thoroughly. I agree, you need to make your doctor aware of your concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2006, 08:54 PM

A very good question for which I am sorry I do not have an answer for. But I will share what I know. All cancer treatments are influenced by type, stage, grade, metastisis, the patients overall health, other medical issues as well as other things I am certain I have not mentioned. Based on this, it is likely that you will meet other uterine cancer patients whose treatment could be different than yours. That could explain the difference in the type of surgery being recommended for you.

Having said that, I would ask my doctor to explain in detail the reasons why this type of surgery is best suited for you and your type of cancer. I would also get on the phone first thing in the morning and attempt to find another gyn/onc for a second opinion. Even if you have to burn another 24 hours, it would be best to have someone else weigh in on your course of treatment. (At the end of the day, you may understand and buy into your gyn/onc's approach to surgery, but if you start looking for a second opinion doc tomorow, you won't have wasted any time) Your first surgery after a diagnosis of a gynecological cancer is the most important! It has a tremendous impact on survival rates. This is one time that you should ensure that you have no question unanswered before you proceed.

Asking these types of questions and pressing your doctors for specifics can be difficult at this time. Please make certain that you have someone with you that can help ask all the tough questions that need to be investigated.

Take a deep breath...

Beachball
Unread 04-09-2006, 11:25 PM

Oh, hon, I would get another opinion. You should read my operative report - there isn't much he didn't check out, look at, or sample when he was in there, including liver, gall bladder, pancreas, kidneys, spleen, and lymph nodes. I could have had the robotic procedure but he wanted "a good look around."
Unread 04-10-2006, 02:13 AM

You've been given some good advice here by our Sisters and i'll just reiterate what they've already suggested - a second opinion. You only get once chance to get this right and if you're not comfortable with what your gyn/onc's recommended then a second opinion is definitely in order. I had my TAH/BSO due to uterine pre-cancer and my gyn "still" did the abdominal hyst.

Let us know what you decide.

Best wishes

Geraldine
Unread 04-10-2006, 04:28 AM
when you think about things afterwards...

I think a good measure of what direction to go is after all is done, would you have done it differently? I know for me, and for many it's the waiting and thinking etc. afterwards that really gets you. If you know that you did everything possible, then you can rest easier. I also had my hyst with a verticle abdomonal incisision. I even asked if they couldn't do it laproscopically. My surgeon said "nope"...standard procedure if you know going in it's cancer. For me, knowing afterwards that the pelvic wash, the "look and see" of everything in there made me just that much more reassured that if there had been something hiding, they'd have found it. The reassurance afterwards means ALOT! It really does. When your mind starts wondering "what if"...etc. You can say, hey! If it was there, they got it. I'd ask for another opinion. I do know that they are always making advances, but not sure if this is the way to go?
Unread 04-10-2006, 05:23 AM

I agree with the other sisters here - a second opinion could be very helpful. When I asked my gyn/onc if she would perform a vaginal hyst, she said absolutely no...she wanted to be able to have a careful look around.

Sending best wishes your way ~
Unread 04-10-2006, 06:29 AM

My hysterectomy for endo cancer was also done with a vertical cut. However, my neighbor had hers done laposcopically (sp?) . That was 7 years ago with no recurrence. They sampled her lymph nodes, etc. using this method.
From what I have read, there are doctors who are well trained in this and are comfortable with it. The most important thing is that an oncologist does or assists with the surgery.
I could be wrong but I think one of our members, Mori had a lapo done if you want to look at some of her early posts.
My uterus was also prolapsing before surgery. Fibroids, etc. were distorting it.
All the best, Trisha
Unread 04-10-2006, 06:56 AM

Hello Megamania,

I'll echo the others and suggest you talk with the gyn/onc about your questions. But, laparoscopic can be used for both the hysterectomy and any lymph node removal and pelvic washing--I had mine done that way, but in my case I had 2 surgeries, not something anyone would wish for.

So ask and be satisfied with the method before you go in!

Good luck and keep in touch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register