What causes such large clots? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What causes such large clots? What causes such large clots?

Unread 04-09-2006, 08:37 PM
What causes such large clots?

Ok guys-
Another stupid question... and be warned here but, what causes the golf ball sizes clots that I am getting? I know I have adno ( or suspected ) but what exactly causes these horrible clots? Sorry, but I warned it was a stupid question. I can't wait till Friday when I get to "ditch" Aunt Flo 4ever!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2006, 08:46 PM

I had large clots too, but adeno wasn't suspected by my doctor (I had done alot of research and I suspected it). Turns out however that I did have it after the pathology report came back. And even though I had thought I had it, I was still somewhat shocked to find out. I'm 6 weeks post-op from a TAH. It is a huge relief!

Best wishes!
Ursula
Unread 04-10-2006, 08:45 PM

Hi Cant Wait! Not a stupid question-a good one. I have clots, lots, mostly small, but occasionally size of a small apple. Anyway, looked it up on the internet and here is what I found as to a cause (had no idea myself):
Clots

When menstrual bleeding is heavy, clotting can also occur. Losing large clots can be extremely upsetting and even painful if they are large because they can cause cramping as they pass through the cervix. There is a simple explanation as to why these large clots are formed. All blood contains a clotting factor. To enable menstrual blood to flow freely from the uterus (womb) and leave your body without clotting, the uterus produces an anti-clotting agent. But if the menstrual loss is heavy, it is possible that the anti-clotting agent will be used up before a period has finished, so that the remaining blood is likely to form clots.
Another one:
What if I have big clots of blood during my menstrual period?

Dark, chunky clots of blood can be perfectly normal. Many women get them during their menstrual period when they have days of heavy cramping and heavy bleeding. Your body usually makes things called "anti-coagulants," that keep your blood from clotting as it moves to your vagina and out of your body. But during days of heavy bleeding and cramping, your body is pushing blood so quickly out of you that your body does not have time to release these anti-coagulants. Your blood then clots. If you have clots that are bigger than a quarter, it is a good idea to talk with your health care provider.
Here's a link to a good site:
http://www.centerforendo.com/articles/clots.htm
Hmm, learned something here today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2006, 09:32 PM

Thanks iluvpurple. I will check out that site. I am anxious to get this "ugly monster" out of me on Friday. I want to feel better. I know that I will have some pain after surgery, but hopefully it will be a "good" pain. I was questioning having this surgery, but after today, and having massive cramping and huge clots, I know it's for the best. Thanks again.
Unread 04-11-2006, 12:27 AM

I am on Plavix (anti-platelet) for a heart attack I had last year and Holy Toledo do I have HUGE clots. Somedays I think I'm going to bleed to death. My surgery is the same day as yours. Good luck!! I hope it's as textbook as they come. See you on the other side
Unread 04-11-2006, 01:10 AM

I had endo, then adeno and fibroids were found on surgery. I too passed clots. Interesting to get some info but also glad it's over...

Good luck cant wait and chandenay- Let us know how it goes.
Unread 04-11-2006, 04:34 AM

Can't find the article but I've read a couple different ideas:

One:
For menstrual blood to leave the uterus without clotting, the uterus produces an anti-clotting agent. When the bleeding is heavy, the anti-clotting agent can be used up before a period has finished, so that the remaining blood is likely to form clots.
Two:
When blood pools, it clots. If the blood is trapped for a short period of time, it can all become one big clot.

Will post article when I find it.
Unread 04-11-2006, 06:31 AM

I had a HUGH fibroid,thought that was the cause of my clots,but found out I had BAD Adenomyosis after my hyst........from the Pathology report......no one ever even suspected Adeno...........Glad it`s ALL gone and I`m sure you will be too!!!! Best of Luck to you as you prepare for surgery!! Blessings,Renee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register