Weight gain/loss? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight gain/loss? Weight gain/loss?

Unread 04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Weight gain/loss?

Hey all, I've been reading some of the posts and noticed that a lot of people gained weight after surgery? I was told (by a few friends) to eat as much as I can while I'm still able, because after the surgery I won't be able to eat *normally* for a while?

I don't want to go packing on the pounds! It's taken a couple years for me to lose the first 50, and I still want to go down another 25-30 pounds...what's been your personal experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Weight gain/loss?

I had my TAH/BSO last week - 4/4 and am down 6 lbs to date. I have no doubt that more will come off. I'm taking this opportunity to change my eating habits though. My goal is to get down 30 lbs.
Unread 04-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Weight gain/loss?

I think nutritious eating, not necessarily more eating, would be my pre-op focus. Especially the last week pre-op I would get as much protein as you can. I had several complications and was unable to eat in the hospital until the 6th day after my surgery, and even when I went home on the 8th day, I could eat very little. When I finally could eat, I tried to eat nutritious food, but allowed myself to eat as often as I wanted and even would eat at bedtime if I was hungry (something I haven't done in years). When I weighed in at my 6 week post-op, I weighed exactly what I did at my pre-op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Weight gain/loss?

At first I lost 6 pounds.I gained 2 of those back. But this has changed how I eat. I eat way more fruits and veggies now because in the beginning I had some constipation. And I'm taking this opportunity to eat better and take better care of my health. So basically I'm at week 5 and 4 pounds less than I was pre-op. Like you I heard women say they gained a ton in their recovery. Well I go back to work next week and will be more active again so I only expect to stay the same or lose even more. I'm not overweight but still it's nice to know that this surgery doesn't have to make you blimp up. I think maybe some women gain so much because let's face it; it's boring to sit around the house for several weeks. Plus some women have their ovaries removed and then you're dealing with hormonal issues which can include weight gain. I see you are keeping yours so that will be in your favor too. Just be mindful of the fact your activity will be decreased for 6 weeks and so you will have less opportunity to work off the extra calories you take in. Keeping that in mind you will be fine.
Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 04-11-2006, 01:19 AM
Weight gain/loss?

It's really not that you're unable to eat afterwards. It's that if you consume the same amount of calories, fat etc.. after surgery as before, you will naturally gain because you are not as active as before. You are going to have to be pampered and lounge around so get rid of the full cookie jars, the extra chocolate. I don't know about anyone else out there but when I am bored and restless and bound at home, the kitchen becomes my favorite hang out Just get your body moving (slowly) as soon as possible start off with laps around the house and build very slowly And drink water until you are water logged everyday!!
Unread 04-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Weight gain/loss?

I kept my weight exactly the same for the first six weeks, then I have gained a couple of pounds a month. Not sure why- am more active, back to exercise recently, work and so on, eat healthily. I am going to make an appt to talk over with gyn soon, maybe the hrt but then what do you do- I am on a v small dose of estrogen and all other signs are very good- libido, general energy, well being and so on. I don't want to spoil all that.

Hope this doesn't sound negative. I just want to point out that sometimes weight gain isn't a simple as it may sound like overeating and inactivity. I am so pleased to have had the hyst done and I hope the weight thing is temporary.
Unread 04-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Weight gain/loss?

Hi Vega, I am at Wk 9 post-op and have lost and kept off 3kgs (6.6 lbs) so you just can't tell? I was only 58kgs to start with so I'm hoping I'll put it back on.
Good luck, let us know how you go.
ChloDee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register