hospital stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hospital stay? hospital stay?

Unread 04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
hospital stay?

I'm new here, and new to all of this. I have a surgery consultation 4/27. I'm afraid of missing too much work. How long did you all stay in the hospital, and how long was the recovery at home? The Dr. is optimistic for a vaginal hysterectomy, hopefully my big old U will cooperate. Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2006, 02:52 PM
hospital stay?

Hi minimee,
I am 5 days post-op. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital. My doctor is having me take at least 6 weeks off of work. I had a TAH. Doing it the other way, you may or may not need as much time off. Your DR will let you know. I wish you the best.
Unread 04-10-2006, 03:06 PM
hospital stay?

hi minimee
i too am 5 days post op. had tvh and rectocele repair. was 2 nights in hospital and there's nothing like going home to your own bed. I'm sure you will do fine. i will probably be down 6-8 weeks but that is because of my repair. i am feeling better each day am remember to seriously take it slow and easy. are you having abdominal or vaginal? any repairs?
blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2006, 07:55 PM
hospital stay?

I had a TAH on Tuesday (3pm) and was home on Thursday (8am). So, I was not in the hospital very long.

My doctor put down that I would be off of work for 3-6 weeks. I went to the doctor on day 8 to have my staples removed and was at work (minimal hours) on day 9 post op.

Before having surgery I made a deal with work, more less they made a deal with me. They told me if I would come in the office for atleast two hours a week they would pay me for the full week. I figured two hours would not kill me as I am an administrative and HR assistant. My time at work was spent, processing evaluations, wage changes, time cards. Nothing strenous.

Being that I had agreed to the deal that was offered to me I made sure that I did more than the requested without over doing it myself.
On week two I started going to the office twice a week for a total of four to six hours a week. This satisfied the agreement and I did not get to far behind at work.

At week five my doctor did release me back to work full time. On week six I did have other appointments that I officially did not go back to work full time until week seven.
Unread 04-10-2006, 08:08 PM
hospital stay?

Do talk to your dr about what s/he thinks will be best for you. Hospital time is typically a couple days, with a TVH sometimes just over night. But usually, a dr still wants you off work for 4-8 weeks, depending on you, how your surgery goes, and how quickly you heal.

Explain what type of a job you have, what you do, and then decide with your dr what is best. Many women do find it helps to return to work on a part time bases for the first few weeks.

There are many issues involved with returning to work without a dr's release so I would not advise this route.

Do you have FMLA or disability options for while you will be off work?

You only have one chance to heal right the first time and doing too much too soon can lead to future complications and surgeries. Best wishes to you for your surgery and recovery!
Unread 04-10-2006, 09:16 PM
hospital stay?

Hi Minimee,

I had a LAVH and was in the hospital just one night. I was able to work from home,as a loan officer, so work did not suffer, however, it seemed I was busier that week then ever!! I have been working normal hours for 2-3 weeks, but my job is flexible, and my surgery was very uncomplicated...so listen to your body and doctor, and definately don't "do too much!"...rest is super important...and help from the family is critical....best wishes!
Unread 04-11-2006, 03:36 AM
hospital stay?

Hi minimee

I had a TVH on 3.28.06 My SX was at 10a.m. on that Tuesday and I went home the next day at 1p.m.

My Dr told me 6 to 8 wks for recovery period.

100792, WOW, I wish my work would make a deal like that with me. I am so worried of what a mess things will be in when I get back to work. I've been in the situation where we were short w/office wrkrs and we would get behind quicker than you can blink an eye. Ooooooh, I almost dread going back just thinking of that.

Anyway, Best wishes minimee on your upcoming SX.
Unread 04-11-2006, 09:33 AM
hospital stay?

I had a TVH, spent one night in the castle and went back to work part time at 4wks (5 hours/day) and full time at 5 wks. I am now at 10wks post op and I still get tired and sometimes brain fog. I am lucky as my job allows me the freedom to come and go as I please so long as I meet the deadlines. My gyn only permitted me to return to work because I have a desk job, and could get up and walk whenever needed (and it was needed) and I could leave if I had to. Gyn said that if I had a physically straining job that I would be off for the full 6 wks or longer. Listen to you gyn - they know what is going on with you and what they are doing to you. Each of us is different and has different reasons for going through this surgery.
Unread 04-11-2006, 09:55 AM
hospital stay?

I had a TVH three weeks ago tomorrow. I spent one night in the hospital. I had a reaction to the percocet so the Doc probably would have kept me another night just to be sure the new meds were working but I wanted to go HOME! I have a job that requires I drive and work full days so I am staying out 6 weeks. My cousin had the same surgery and went back to work at 4 weeks ( a desk job) but was so exhausted she said she wished she had taken more.
just follow doctors orders.
Unread 04-11-2006, 03:53 PM
hospital stay?

I had a LAVH and was discharged the following day....so one night in hospital. It is different for each type and each person. Discuss this at length with your doc and decide what is best for you. Lots of factors are also involved in how long you stay in hospital and how your recovery progresses.
Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register