hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hospital stay hospital stay

Unread 04-28-2001, 05:06 AM
hospital stay

Hi Ladies,

Well I went for my pre-op on Thursday and ever since then I'm just a nervous wreck. I can't sleep or eat. My dd told me I would only be in the hospital for a day. I go in on May 4th at 8am and dd told me I would probably go home late Saturday afternoon. Has anyone else had such a short stay? Thanks for listening.

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2001, 09:04 AM
hospital stay

It depends on how they do it. I'm scheduled for LAVH, but he said there was a chance he'd have to convert and do it with an abdominal incision. If he can do it laprascopic-assisted he said I'd go home the next day.

I've read quite a few posts here by others saying they were sent home the next day.
Unread 04-28-2001, 09:25 AM
HI Donna

Hi, I am almost 2 weeks post-op, had a TAH. I only stayed in the hospital one night. DD was not too happy with me but I knew I would feel and rest better at home. If you don't think you are up to going home after one night you let them know, There should not be any reason why you can't stay alittle longer.
I'm sure you have heard this before but its the truth.....THE WAITING IS THE HARDEST PART. I was a real nut case before my surgery, I kept thinking of the worse, I did just fine, and feeling pretty good now. I still can't do alot of stuff but I know I am on my way to a better life. Take Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2001, 10:49 AM
hospital stay

I had a TVH on April 9. Went in 6 a.m. and was released at 5 p.m. the next day.

It depends on what kind of surgery is performed and what your insurance policy allows.

I did rest better at home myself, hospitals aren't the best places to sleep. However, the upside to staying in the hospital as long as you are supposed to is that you get better pain medication and you are given it around the clock if it is needed. I didn't require any when I got home but was glad to have it at the hospital.

Good luck and hugs,
Miranda
Unread 04-28-2001, 12:29 PM
hospital stay

Donna,'
I went in this Wednesday and came home Thursday morning. I had a LSH and it wasn't so bad. It really depends on the surgery and how well you do after. Make sure before you leave you are not nauseated, able to eat and passing gas. If you have any problems make sure you have someone there who will stand up and be sure you are taken care of. You will probably find that you are so ready to go home and get back to your familair comfy bed and quietness. I was anyway.

((HUGS))

Shelle1962
Unread 04-28-2001, 04:23 PM
hospital stay

I will be frank and say DON"T worry about the short stay! It's just unnecessary stress. You will go home when you feel you can and your doctor says it's ok.
Take it easy now. Too much thinking will only make you a wreck. Save your strength for the recovery.
My mother had TAH on Wed. and came home yesterday afternoon which was Friday. She is doing fine. For us the wait and the worry was the WORST part of it all.
Hugs.
Unread 04-28-2001, 04:43 PM
response to hospital stay

Hi,
I am scheduled for a vaginal on Tues May1st. You are not alone being nervous!
I am short fused right now and have had some diarreha! Just nerves. My gyno said I will most likely stay over night and go home on Thursday. I will keep you in my prayers please do the same for me!:O)
Unread 04-28-2001, 04:58 PM
hospital stay

Hi, I had a LAVH on 4/16 at 2:30pm and was released at 8am on Wed 4/18. I felt really well. I had a few
minor problems when I got home, mainly nausea, which turned out to be my medicine. I was only on
ibuprofen by the second day home and felt much better.
Good luck and relax. I swear it isn't near as bad as you expect.
I lost 5 lbs before surgery due to the stress.
Unread 04-28-2001, 05:06 PM
post op

Veronica,
Thanks for the message I know the wait is probably the worst. I have had other surgeries before but still have the jitters. Trying to get everything done at home for Hubby and Son. Thank goodness my son is in high school. Did you have a catheter for very long? Never had one before. Do they put that in during surgery?
Unread 04-28-2001, 08:00 PM
hospital stay

The length of the hospital stay depends on several issues mainly the type of surgery you're having - stay is usually longer for a TAH and shorter for TVH or LSH/LAVH - and your condition.

I had a TVH, but was scheduled for a TAH, then I ended up loosing a lot of blood and having to be monitored longer, so I stayed 4 nights and left on the morning of the 5th day.

Lori: usually the cath is put in while you're under. In my case, they tried to put it in before, but I had been damaged by delivering big babies and the nurses were unable to do it. You know something: it wasn't painful at all. The cath came out about 24 hours after my surgery. Again, it didn't hurt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register