Cervical Cancer Vaccine? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical Cancer Vaccine? Cervical Cancer Vaccine?

Unread 04-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Cervical Cancer Vaccine?

Has anyone heard about this? My mom received a call from someone she works with. (in a local hospital, but my mom isn't in the medical field) This woman was telling my mom that she used to work with a man that is now in KY and working on a vaccine for cervical cancer. She wanted to know if it would be ok for him to contact me. Now, since I'm already in the actual "cancer stage" I don't think I could be a part of the vaccine study. But I'm wondering if he may be looking to have me donate what they take...which I'd be more than happy to, maybe save someone else from dealing with this.

I just haven't heard much about it. My dad mentioned hearing something on tv last week, but he isn't always the best source of information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Cervical Cancer Vaccine?

The last thing I read said the vaccine would be available within 2 or 3 years. I mentioned it to my gyn/onc and he said it was not available yet and it wouldn't help those of us who already have the disease. He said something like 'polio vaccines won't help people who already have polio, it's too late to prevent it'. Made sense to me. I've already had measles so a vaccine to prevent it is useless to me. Same thing here. My granddaughters (should I be so lucky!) won't have to worry about most cervical cancers, they'll be vaccinated, just as they are for polio, mumps and measles. Unfortunately, the vaccine was too late for us.

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 04-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Cervical Cancer Vaccine?

I was disappointed but not too surprised to see that the current US government may try to block the use of this vaccine.
It is viewed by some in the administration to promote sex before marriage.
I don't want to start a political argument but needless to say I'm quite alarmed that anyone would prevent or delay a vaccine that will save many lives and prevent the suffering of many more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Cervical Cancer Vaccine

Please! Start a political argument. If not here then where? It is our daughters and granddaughters that will be affected by any attempt to prevent a vaccine which can save their lives. Son's too - males are carriers of the HPV virus even though it doesn't cause cancer in them. Should males then be vaccinated? I think there should be an intelligent discussion of the uses of this valuable vaccine. However, I do not believe that the religious or moral values of any one group should determine whether or not a possibly life-saving procedure should be administered and to whom. anna
Unread 04-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Cervical Cancer Vaccine?

SparrowSong,
Do you have a link to this? I've seen nothing coming from any government agency that there is government opposition to this vaccine. In fact, I've seen just the opposite. I think your information may be one of those urban myths. Our government wouldn't have supported research on this vaccine if they had no intention of using it!

Who in the administration is opposed to this vaccine? It certainly isn not the President's department of Health and Human Servives. (HHS)

Information from www.cancer.gov, a US government website:
>>>> What research is being done on HPV-related cancers? <Oops! Text removed to comply with copyright laws. Please see complete text at http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/HPV>

NCI is a government agency, under HHS and the President. It would never have gotten to a phase III trial, years of work, and millions of dollars, if the administration wasn't in full support of the vaccine.

From the Department of Health and Human Services, one of the offices in the President's cabinet:
>>>>Sexually active persons in all socioeconomic groups are at risk for HPV infection; thus, immunization of all persons who will potentially be sexually active in the future would likely be the most effective prevention approach. Behavioral and social marketing research to explore this issue will be important and such research may also have benefit for other STD vaccines, including those for HIV.<<<<
http://www.hhs.gov/asl/testify/t990316c.html

If you google cervical cancer vaccine, you will find lots of information about our government's work on this vaccine and I found nothing that said the government would do anything to prevent its use.

I suspect that folks with a political agenda are trying to scare people with malicious urban myths. How awful! I hope that none of us will be victims of such maliciousness!

If you are concerned, please contact your Congressman and Senators. I am sure they will reassure you that the vaccine will be available as soon as the trials are completed. Please share your views with your elected representatives. You can also call NIH directly, or NCI, and ask them if anyone is preventing the use of this vaccine in the US.

Best,
Janie
Unread 04-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Cervical Cancer Vaccine?

One of the reasons I do not want a debate is that we are women from all political stripes and religious beliefs.
The article I read was in The New Yorker which I borrowed from the library. I think it was from the past few months. I googled the New Yorker and it is not one of their on-line articles.
However, I googled two things;
One was "Cervical cancer and Bush Administration"
The other was "Focus on the Family and Cervical cancer". Under both of these searches came up many articles.
The general gist is the The Bush Admin has appointed a person from Focus on the Family, a fundamentalist group to sit on the advisory panel working with the CDC. In the past the FDA has caved from political pressure so there is a huge potential for interference.
Whether we like it or not, we live in very sexually conservative times and funding has been cut to many programs.
I was pleased to read that young males as well as young women would receive the vaccine if it became widely used.
We can only hope that common sense prevails and this vaccine becomes available for wide spread use.
It is interesting to note there are two companies developing a vaccine.
Unread 04-15-2006, 03:19 AM
Cervical Cancer Vaccine?

Hello, Ladies:

Here is some very recent information on the cervical cancer vaccine debate that I thought you might find interesting:

http://www.vaccineethics.org/2006/03...in-on-hpv.html

Since I take graduate courses at the University of Pennsylvania's Center for Bioethics, I happen to know that they will be offering a course in the fall entitled, "Ethical Challenges of Vaccines," which will include issues relating to the cervical cancer vaccine.

MoeKay
Unread 04-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Cervical Cancer Vaccine?

Wow, thanks for the info guys! I was kinda-of leery about things because I hadn't heard much of it before...maybe I should pay more attention? lol
Unread 04-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Cervical Cancer Vaccine?

Hi, All:

Here is a link to a Newsweek online article (scheduled to appear in the April 24th issue) about the cervical cancer vaccine:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12333785/site/newsweek

MoeKay
Unread 04-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Cervical Cancer Vaccine?

Thanks MoeKay! This is great news. It looks like the next generation of women, and men, won't have to worry about most kinds of cervical cancer. Wonderful!
Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register