Just received my natural progesteron. Insert said "Known to cause cancer in CA"??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just received my natural progesteron. Insert said "Known to cause cancer in CA"??? Just received my natural progesteron. Insert said "Known to cause cancer in CA"???

Unread 04-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Just received my natural progesteron. Insert said "Known to cause cancer in CA"???

What????
I just found a natural cream that seems to help my moods and estrogen dominance symptoms. Now I found this insert that states; Attention California Residents Only. Warning; This product contains progesterone . An ingredient known to cause cancer in the state of California under Proposition 65. I looked up Proposition 65 on the internet and found it under a breastcancer site. It didn't explain things well at all. so I don't know what to think. Just when I was feeling better down there with the burning/stinging and moodiness.
What does all this mean? I am not in CA. But still..... What is the most up to date information on natural progesterone cream? Help I don't know if i will take any more doses or not ( roll eyes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2006, 04:06 AM
Just received my natural progesteron. Insert said "Known to cause cancer in CA"???

Hi Ann Yeah, my progesterone came with that warning, too (I live in California). This document shows what "information" the decision to include that warning was based on:

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/hazar...progeshid5.pdf

Basically, someone proposed that progesterone be included on the list of substances that carry the Prop 65 warning in California; for a long time, nobody responded. Then the document linked to above was published. You can see by reading it that there were no data whatsoever that suggested that progesterone causes cancer in humans. What they did find is some data showing that rats, when given large doses of progesterone and exposed to a known carcinogen, developed tumors. Not humans, and not progesterone alone without the known carcinogen. How they somehow extrapolated this to be able to say that progesterone is "known" to cause cancer is something I can't even imagine. But, apparently nobody objected, so it became a regulation.

That warning is not something I'd worry about in this case, being that it's not based on any relevant data whatsoever. However, I would not suggest that a pregnant woman use progesterone (and no DR would prescribe it for one), because it can cause birth defects -- it does exert an effect on embryonic cells (as does any steroid), just not fully grown cells.

The only other situation where I'd exercise caution is in the rare instance where a woman has already been diagnosed with a progesterone receptor positive breast cancer. These are very rare.

I hope this puts your mind at ease.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register