Pre-op shows change in surgery...:( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op shows change in surgery...:( Pre-op shows change in surgery...:(

Unread 04-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Pre-op shows change in surgery...:(

I just had my pre-op exam & I've now been changed from TVH/BSO to TAH/BSO. She said my uterus is too high up & tight & that she would never be able to get at it & she doubted that she'd be able to do it laproscopically (sp?) either, so she felt our best bet was to do it abdominally. I don't know why this upsets me so, but I haven't been able to stop crying since I left her office. She also doesn't want to leave my ovaries because of the chronic pelvic pain I have & all the PMS symptoms. She says they will still be there if she leaves my ovaries. Having this done vaginally was the only thing that was keeping my positive....I knew I wouldn't have to deal with the belly issues & nasty scar, but I guess now reality hits. She also says I will be in the hospital longer & recovery will be longer. I've been so anxious about getting this over with & hating the waiting, but now I'm more nervous & anxious than ever. I pretty much knew what to expect with the TVH, but not prepared at all for TAH. She has also put me out of work starting Monday because of the bleeding & pain & I just can't function. On top of all this my 18 year old son had a horrible accident on Sat. night. We spent all night & Easter in the Emergency room. He rolled my car & has huge lacerations down his left arm & shoulder. I thank God he's alive...by the looks of my car he shouldn't be. Now I have no vehicle & had to rent one. 3 other boys were in the car - they all suffered minor injuries & he crashed into a parked car which is also destroyed. I'm teriffied I'll be sued. Everthing is just awful & I'm at my witts end. Sorry this is so long & thanks for letting me vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2006, 01:38 PM

God i am so sorry! you poor thing i really feel for you. If i was there i would give you a huge cuddle. Really sorry about the TVH but you will be ok, i am sure!!! and more sorry about your son......... hope he is ok,vent as much as you like, please take care of yourself love Tracey x x x x
Unread 04-19-2006, 01:47 PM

Thank you Tracey. my son is OK. His wounds are very deep though. They had glass, gravel, dirt and grass embedded in them. They had to literally scrub them with a scrub brush & still couldn't get all the dirt out. They couldn't stitch anything - it would have taken hundreds of stitches, but there isn't much skin left & the fact that they couldn't get all the dirt out made them concerned about infection. I can't look at him without hugging & kissing him. I'm so thankful he's still here, but unofurtunatley this situation doesn't help the whole "my situation", so it's very difficult right now. I know God won't give me more than I can handle so I just have to deal with whatever happens. Thank you for your kind words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2006, 02:14 PM

oh sue..i am so sorry to hear that you are going through so much right now..i will keep you,your son,and your whole family in my prayers,and pray he has a fast recovery....as far as the change in surgery plans...i know it much extreamly discouraging that so soon to your date they changed it..but look at it this way..its better that she decides to do this now,rather than to try to go for it,realize she cant do it,and switch to the abdominal..at that rate,you would have 2 areas sore instead of one...at any rate.im sure this isnt what you wanted,but please try to stay positive..sounds like you have a doctor who is on top of things..that should comfort you.....please take care,and best wishes on your surgery...sonie
Unread 04-19-2006, 02:32 PM

I had the opposite problem as you, my uterus was way too far back and too low. I too, had hoped for a TVH. But my Dr. said that the position of my uterus was not favorable for a vaginal, and that without a TAH, my chances of post-op prolapse would be high. And it turned out even if he had started with a TVH, it would have had to be a abdominal, because the endometriosis had gone from a stage I 5 years ago to stage IV. He had to work extensively to save my left ureter, and there was no way to save the ovaries (he prepared me that it would probably be a BSO, so I was expecting that too). The only good thing about not knowing how bad it had become is that I would have had a vertical cut if they were aware of how extensive it was.

I was scared about having an incision, I had only had minor surgery before. It does hurt more and take a longer recovery, but it really wasn't much worse than the pain I was in before surgery. I didn't have staples, but had the newest thing, the medical "super glue". I recommend it highly if your surgeon does it. My scar healed great and I had no fears of it popping open like others with staples or external stitches. My scar is right at the top of my hairline, and when it fades it really won't be that noticable, not that I expose that area to anyone but my DH and me.

Even with the complications I had, which are rare, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I haven't gone 6 weeks without pain meds in 5 years and I haven't had a pain-free BM in my adult life until now. It definitely was a quality-of-life issue with me, and I'm so glad I did it.
Unread 04-19-2006, 02:44 PM

I'm sorry that things have changed for u. I had the same thing that u are going to go threw.(except the accident) I am a positive person. I will tell u what I went threw and u will decided what u want.
I had my surgery on the 13th..was there at 5 am. I got some happy meds before i got there and started my pre-op @ 5:30am. I was so gone that I said that I was the walmart greeter. I was waving at every nurse that came into the door. A male nurse had to walk me back to the pre-op room.
There they weighed me. I got into my gown, they put on my id braclets. Then they put in the iv (talked to me more). Then I got a enema. I was shaved (very easliy)Then they got this pair of stockings to put over my legs and toes. Over that was a thing that looked like a leg brace that they put on both legs. It went up down up down like it was breathing. The nurse said that it was to make sure that the blood flows freely in ur body and no clots would form. My mother and sister came back to the pre-op room not 3 minutes after that the "pain man" came in and i looked at em...he stuck a big old thing of valuim in my iv and weeeeeee.....
ALL OF THIS I DONT REMEMBER BUT IT I SO FUNNY TO ME. HOPE U WILL LAUGH. My mother said that I looked at the "pain man" and said oh look he's married. My mother responded "is that a problem" I came back with the answer of "not for u"...He was standing there the WHOLE TIME. Then I was told that i asked my mother the braid my hair with a fork. And that I kept asking the nurse if I could please get on her nerves. Her responce was with a accent of "NO u may not". I tell u I have no clue. They said that I was counting sign's and lights and the lines on the highway to the hospital. And that I had hung a pill bottle on the light in the car and was laughing so hard at it.
But after the surgery, the only thing that i remembered was waking up to saying "my mommy and asking for my lina"(my adopted mother and sister). After that i went back to sleep for the biggest part of the day still had all the good stuff hooked up to me while i was there in the or..( I didnt mention a catheder..didnt know it was there). The very next day they had me walking. off the pump and trying to eat solids, on the 14th. The doc sent me flowers and best wishes. I was released on the 15th to go home and slept one more day afterwards..no pain meds at all....NOT SAYING that u will recovere like me....just giving u a better feeling about things ....
Good luck with ur journey and good speed to u and urs in the accident. Nothing happens in life that u cant handle!!! {{{{HUGS}}}
Unread 04-19-2006, 05:31 PM

For some ladies the TVH comes with it's own set of problems. Personally because I've had the bikini incision before I preferred the abdominal version. Vaginal was not an option because I never had children and was keeping my cervix. Besides, I'm not sure I was comfortable having that all that stuff come through the vagina anyway. Recovery time can be about the same (in some cases) for both. State of mind plays a big part. The scar will heal, fade and eventually won't be noticed. It's only a problem if you are planning on being an "Exotic Dancer"
It will be 6 weeks on Thursday and other than fatigue I'm doing great. I had dissolving stitches no staples and mine's healing well.
M.
Unread 04-19-2006, 06:02 PM

Dear Sue,
I'm so glad to hear your son will be ok, and sorry to hear that your plans have changed. I can understand that getting used to the idea of the surgery being performed one way and then it has to be changed being a big bummer. My surgery is in two days and I still don't know for sure which way the dr is going to do mine. His plan is to do a lsh, but may not have much luck and have to open me up. I'm really starting to worry over this. But you are right, God doesn't give us more than we can handle. Best wishes for a safe surgery and a speedy recovery, we're here for you!

Dorrie
Unread 04-19-2006, 06:38 PM

I hope your son will be feeling better soon! About the TAH, I'm sure it's a disappointment, but please don't worry about it. I had staples on my TAH that were removed before I left the hospital. All the stitches were internal, and I never saw a single one. My recovery was fine, and I am feeling great now. I will hope for a similar outcome for you. I know you're worried about things that might happen, but most things we worry about never do come to pass, and you will know how to deal with whatever when the time comes, believe me.
Unread 04-19-2006, 06:41 PM

Oh you poor thing.I wish I could give you a great big hug.As far as the Tvh goes.My opinion-I rather have had it done thru the stomach.I have had 3 herni surgeries,you do hurt but I was able to sit.With the tvh it really hurts to sit.I do have stiches on the outside.I don't know it that from my a&p repair.Every move I make hurts.For me I think this is worse,because when I sit on chair or tiolet it pulls in the vaginal area.I seem to lay down most of the time.
So sorry about you son.It seems like everything always happens at once.I hope he is feeling better.
If you ever need a friend to talk to.Please feel free to contact me..I will be thinking of you.Take care.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register