Ovarian cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-29-2001, 12:20 PM
Ovarian cyst

I asked the question about why go to a hematologist for low hemoglobin. The replies indicated heavy periods, which I don't have - does improper diet have anything to do with the hemoglobin being low? I am now taking iron pills and eating liver, etc. I am not all that tired either. I do have a cyst on the ovary which the doctor says must come out - indications are it is just a simple cyst. How long does it take to build up the hemoglobin? By the way, my doctor will take everything out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2001, 12:27 PM
Ovarian cyst

Unfortunately, I do not know about the hemoglobin. I have a cyst on my right ovary too which will be taken off when I have a Lap & D&C this Friday. The doctor was not concerned about my cyst and said that it was not the cause of my ongoing chronic pain that comes with my period and last for fourteen days. You've come to the right place. I hope you get your answer. Good luck & God bless.
Unread 04-29-2001, 12:27 PM
Ovarian cyst

Hi Yvonne,
Yes diet sure could be a reason. I don't know how long it takes to build it up, sorry. Didn't your doctor say?
Just stick to what your doc said. Eat well and don't worry too much.
It's important to be strong. Your body will have a lot of work to do after the surgery.
Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2001, 10:59 AM
iron decifiency

I have low iron, a does my mother, some people are more anemic than others. I had to go on iron pills and will return to them; always tired, and it helps when I take a suppliment. For me, it can take a month or so to build up in my blood. I find diet can help, but sometimes you can just have low iron; hereditary in my family.
Hyst doesn't always improve this; I had everything out and am still anemic, as is my mother. Best idea is to have your blood checked (I hate the finger pricking!!!!) after your hyst to see if your levels rise again.
Unread 05-01-2001, 07:51 PM
Ovarian cyst

Hi Yvonne

While diet and heavy blood loss can account for iron defficiency, some people are simply genetically prone to iron defficiency and anemia. Also, certain changes, such as pregnancy, can lead to anemia.

I had my hyst due to heavy bleeding caused by a very large fibroid. I ended up being anemic. I was taking iron supplements before my surgery and continued to take them for a month after my surgery. I felt a difference almost immediately.

Did you ask your doctor why he/she wanted you on iron supplements?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register