cellulitis again, after hernia repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cellulitis again, after hernia repair cellulitis again, after hernia repair

Unread 04-19-2006, 09:47 PM
cellulitis again, after hernia repair

I had a tah/sbo on March 9, 2005. On March 19,2005 I had my second surgery where they opened me up and packed my wound to let it heal from the inside out because I had a strep infection in the wound. I almost died from it. If I hadn't got to the hospital when I did the doctor said that I would have probably had the infection throughout my blood stream and it could have went to my brain, lungs and everywhere. So I spent another week in the hospital.

When I went home, my husband had to unpack and pack my wound twice a day to help get the infection out and I was on some heavy duty antiobiotics for a long while. I finally healed or so I thought but I was still in a lot of pain. I just figured it would go away on eventually. I went back to work. I was teaching in a prison and it was pretty easy work physically. I was exhausted and totally stressed out. I came home one night after taking my daughter to softball practice and my abdomen was hurting particularly bad and was burning. I looked at it and it was all red so I called my friend who has dealt with many surgical infections in the past and she told me to get to the hospital quick because it sounded like cellulitis. so i did and it was. They gave me a round of iv antiobiotics in the ER, drew on my abdomen and told me if the redness went past that point to come right back in. I got my prescription and left. It cleared up but about 10 days later it came back----another round of iv antiobiotics and more oral antiobiotics. This happened several times. Finally, the doctor gave me a prescription for antiobiotics and refills so that when it came back he wouldn't have to deal with me.

But I kept calling him because I was still in a lot of pain and couldn't stand for any time, couldn't lift a gallon of milk without it hurting, or even work 7 hrs. a day 5 months after the second surgery.

Finally, he ordered an ultrasound and found i had a hernia in the wound. he referred me to a general surgeon who was wonderful. he put me on another round of antiobiotics and wanted to wait until he was sure the cellulitis was cleared up before doing the surgery. Finally in September i had the hernia surgery. So in 7 months time, I had three surgeries. the hernia surgery was very painful and the surgeon said that it was one of the biggest he had ever seen.

I was doing OK---still in some pain ---still cannot lift much or stand very long or sit in one position very long but the surgeon said it would take a long time to get over it. Well it has been 7 months and now I have cellulitis again. I am really concerned because the surgeon said that if the infection gets into the mesh he put in, they would have to open me up again, take out the mesh and scrape it all out of me. He said that it would be a painful and difficult surgery. I am at my wits end and I don't know how much more I can take. What should I do? How or where can I get this over with for good.

Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register