How long is pain medication needed following rectocele repair????????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long is pain medication needed following rectocele repair????????? How long is pain medication needed following rectocele repair?????????

Unread 04-19-2006, 10:21 PM
How long is pain medication needed following rectocele repair?????????

My surgery was done on the 10th of April and although I'm getting better with each day, I find that I'm still needing to take 1 pain pill during the day and 1 at night before bed. At my last check up 1 week ago my doctor told me I should be feeling "fine" in another day or so. I am not feeling "fine" as of yet. I have an appointment tomorrow to see my doctor again and am almost embarrassed to tell him that I'm still in pain if he thinks that I should be ok at this point. I don't want to be stuck taking pain meds for much longer, but I don't feel strong enough at this point to be completely without as there are days when things are either better or in some cases worse than other days. I feel like I'm being a big baby for telling my doctor that I need to still be prescribed additional medication even if at a lower dosage amount until I feel like the pain is manageable. I'm not good at speaking with doctors, never have been, but I don't want to go home and go several days in pain just because I was afraid of what the doctor would think or say if I asked for a new pain prescription. Am I taking longer to heal than most people who have had this surgery? Or am I just being a wuss who has a low pain thresh-hold???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2006, 02:39 AM

No, you are not being a wuss!! A rectocele repair op hurts very much in that area and it will be very uncomfortable for some time yet. And if the pain is stopping you sleeping, it is not helping your healing process.

I found that at about 2 - 2 and a half weeks, there is a peak in the irritation/pain, which then eases off. I think it is when the stitches start to dissolve. This is just to warn you of this in case you panic when it happens.

I could not sit comfortably for a good 4 weeks - recline, use cushions, bath if you are allowed to, put cold witch hazel on your pads and if you still need painkillers, use them.

Thinking of you. Barbara x
Unread 04-21-2006, 06:25 AM

I've never had rectocele, but I have a lot of experience (unfortunately) with the pain med thing. YOU have to take care of yourself. If you need pain meds, then you need them. YOU have to make sure your doc helps you take care of your needs. You also need adequate pain control in order to properly heal. I know it's tough - I have had to deal with many docs over the years who dehumanize you and don't take you seriously and refuse due to concerns about dependence or "I don't believe in pain meds"...I'm sorry, but you cannot do ANY surgical/medical procedure on someone, outpatient or otherwise and not "believe" in controlling their pain.
The pain medicine allows your body to heal. That's what it's for - not to get "high" or any of that. I'm sorry, as you can tell this is a sensitive subject for me. I was ignored and suffered for a long time because I was not assertive of my healthcare.
You have to take care of yourself, honey! Please let us know how it works out. I'm not sure how much this helps, I can help you out with how to talk to the doctor if you want....regardless, please make sure you take care of yourself, because as sad as it is to say, no one else will. I depended on too many doctors to "take care of me" not just with meds, but surgery, course of treatment, etc...and I don't want other people to go through that.
Thanks for listening to my little rant, and I hope in some small way that I could help with my advice.
Take care and let us know how it went, sweetie!!!
~Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Thank You

Thanks for understanding. I thought that maybe I should have been healing sooner than I am right now. I saw the doctor yesterday and he told me by looking at the stitches that they are very irritated and they're actually getting worse today. I have some pain meds and if taken as prescribed will only last 3 days, and I won't be seeing him again for a week and 1/2. I don't know what to say when I call the office because I know I'm going to need to call and have them either prescribe something in larger amounts, for a longer period of time, or something stronger because it's becoming unbearable, even while taking the meds right now. No fever yet, so I don't think I'm suffering from infection but it's something I will watch carefully as I've gone through septic shock twice and almost died due to a severe infection that spread through my blood. I'm in more pain today than after the initial surgery. I'm home taking care of my 6 year old daughter and am barely able to walk, sitting is just excrutiating and I'm alternating with ice and heat to try anything to get relief. If you know of a way that I can get through to my doctors my need for the pain to be dealt with properly or just advice on how to speak to the doctors in general, believe me it would be very much appreciated as I have difficulty in doing so for whatever reasons - be it intimidated or fear that they'll think I'm just seeking drugs or fear that I just won't be taken seriously for the amount of pain I am in. Thank you for any advice on how to even get the dialogue going with the docs.
Unread 04-21-2006, 08:23 AM

I had to use pain killers off and on for three weeks, more if I did any sitting. Ice packs helped, and so did taking ibuprofen whether or not I felt I needed it. I asked for more pain medication at my ten day appointment to get my catheter removed and the nurse tried to make me feel guilty about asking. I insisted though, and they gave it to me. I figured if she was in my place she'd be begging for it too!
Unread 04-22-2006, 10:40 AM

It has been over two years since my vaginal hysterectomy with rectocele and cystocele repairs. I still get angry hearing about people being denied adequate pain control. My FEMALE gynocologist tried to discharge me from the hospital after my surgeries with motrin alone for pain control I still resent being made to feel like some kind of loser for needing pain medication. For God's sake, you literally pulled my guts out and you want to send me home with no pain meds! Needless to say, I have not been back to her since my six week checkup. I am having some problems right now and I am asking around about gynos because I don't want to have to potentially have another surgery done by someone who doesn't believe in pain medicine. My advice to you is to keep asking for it as long as you need it and try not to let the attitudes of the doctor and nurses (who are NOT recovering from surgery btw) bother you too much. I know it is easier said than done... Good luck
Unread 04-24-2006, 04:51 PM

i remember after having my repairs i took pain pills for some time.... i had a hyst.then a repair then i had the rectocele and cystocele repaired and it hurt for a long time.... try to hang in there it will get better!
Unread 04-24-2006, 05:03 PM

I am sorry that you're still having pain. Everyone heals at a different rate, while I haven't had a rectocele repair, I have had many surgeries and with each surgery I have found that it has taken me a longer time to recover, thus needing extra pain meds longer.

If you're only taking one in the morning and one in the evening, that doesn't sound like alot to me. You really should give your doctor a call and let him know that you're going to need some more meds. Just be honest, tell him how you're feeling. It may help to write it down before making the call.

Unread 04-24-2006, 07:59 PM

I agree, call you doctor. When I had my sphincter repair, my doctor only gave me 5 days of pain medication, I felt great for 5 days - Then I was miserable. When I finally went to see him, I couldn't stand up straight it hurt so bad. He made me stand up straight and I could feel connective tissure ripping. I had healed in that bent over position. The pain medicine is to help you heal - please ask. Hugs.
Unread 04-24-2006, 08:28 PM

I agree,too. My surgeon was reluctant to refill my script for ty/co #4 as he told me he "didn't want the feds crawling down his back." But I insisted, despite his intimidation, which was very hard for me. I questioned myself just as you are, but I have learned since that people recover at different rates and I actually may have healed better with a stronger painkiller but didn't know anything about pain management at the time. True for nearly all of us and the doctors take advantage of our innocence to protect themselves. So I urge you to be confident in standing up for yourself. I wrote it down before I called him as he scared me. Good luck! Shelley

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register