Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy

Unread 04-29-2001, 05:52 PM
Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy

Hi!

I am in Bellingham, WA. I just spoke to my doctor last week about possible TAH for 6cm fibroid causing heavy bleeding/anemia & pain. I am really interested in finding someone who is skilled at doing a Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy, either here, in Seattle, or elsewhere. I have a consult with my Dr this week (she wants to do TAH asap - like next week!) and plan on getting a 2nd opinion, hopefully with someone who does Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy. If anyone has had one or can recommend someone I would love to hear from you!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2001, 10:07 PM

I started out thinking I definitely wanted a totally laparoscopic hyst.

My doctor (in the San Diego area) can (and regularly does) do them - he even went to Germany for 6 months to learn the technique from the guy who invented it.

He did give me a lot of good reasons why a TAH is a better option - less time under anesthesia, fewer, and less serious, complications. It's easier for the doctor to see and work via an abdominal incision. I also learned it meant I could have a spinal instead of a general, which made things much easier on me.

So we did a TAH, with no regrets.

I did have my tubes tied via laparoscopic surgery about 6 weeks before my hyst (long story), and I gotta say, the laparoscopic incisions (just two) were more painful than the abdominal one, not to mention the effects of the anesthesia.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the laparoscopic approach, if you have some compelling reason for that - just trying to assure you that a TAH isn't so bad.

If you want the name and number of my doctor, drop me a note (via the e-mail link below). He's been in practice for something like 36 years, and may know a good lap-hyst doctor in your area via his work with the guy in Germany. If you are so determined that you would go out-of-town to have it done, I'll highly recommend my DD - I couldn't be happier with his skill and attitude, not to mention his awesome office staff who went to the ends of the earth for me in dealing with my insurance.
Unread 04-30-2001, 03:21 AM
Supracervical Hyst.

Hi you asked for a Dr. referral........My Dr. is Howard Topel and has been doing this type of surg. for 12 yrs.
a very skilled man and very conservative in his approach. He has been my Dr. for 18 yrs. saw me through 3 c-sections. His number is (847)692-9234. He is in Park Ridge, IL. Good luck!!!
Mar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2001, 05:00 PM

Mar and Linda,

Thanks!
Unread 04-30-2001, 08:43 PM

One of our former Hostesses, Dixie Tracy, posted about her supracervical hysterectomy. She's in Washington. You can read about it here.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...&threadid=8492
Unread 05-01-2001, 12:27 PM

Watchmefly,
I too was in the same boat as you....... it took some effort BUT I did find two doctors who do this proceedure.
Went and say the second one yesterday.. she is wonderful. I will now change to the medical group she belongs to........ thus now be covered for her to do this proceedure.
For me the best way to find someone who did this... was to get a list of the gyno that my insurance would cover......... then go and pay for a consultation... then (like I did today) change medical groups so she can be my doctor.
I didnt want to change first... what IF I wasnt a canidate for this proceedure.. or, if I didnt like the doctor.
Last week I went for a consultation with a doc. who does this proceedure.. only to find out he does maybe 1 a year... I wanted someone more experienced.. thus I went to see the doctor from yesterday.
BUT you can be sure, that before I made the appointment with her, I asked "does she do this proceedure a lot?".
If you have any more questions, feel free to write me.
good luck
xo Donna
p.s. After much info gathering, I too am only open to this proceedure. It just sounds better to me... well all of it sounds gross.. but this is less gross.. lol
Unread 05-01-2001, 09:25 PM
Some more info...

Here is another bit of info for you.

http://thomasllyons.com/publications/supra.htm

It is about the supracervical procedures.

I hope this helps.

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 05-05-2001, 12:43 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info and links. I loved the "Dixie Tracy" story!

I am still interested in the LSH, but only in the hands of someone very skilled in the procedure.

I wrote in a question at Dr. Lyon's web site and was pretty impressed to get a response directly from him.

So my decision will be between a SAH done locally or an LSH which would require travelling. Not sure how I would arrange the logistics of travelling...

Met with my gyn this week and will be looking into being seen by someone else locally. Just not the right dr. for me. I did get a much better understanding of where my fibroid is and how my uterus is positioned which has helped my understanding alot.

It was pretty interesting because I discussed my interest in looking into LSH. She said she would be interested to know how they get the big fibroid and uterus out! Well of course I have been doing all this reading and read a great piece describing the entire procedure and how they remove the uterus in cores. Thought it was VERY interesting that I was familiar with this and she was not!??

Had an awful last couple of weeks (which is why I dissapeared for a while) Pain, bleeding, and lots of feeling very scared, paniced and depressed. But yesterday and today have been much better, I feel calmer now that I have decided to definitely change gyn's. I'm encouraged to be feeling better and feel like I have time now to make my decisions at my own pace. My dr advised me to stay on birth control pills continuously until I get my plan in place. Sounds good to me. I am amazed at how much better I feel (physically & emotionally) when I am not having a period. Just haven't gotten to experience that very much lately!

Thanks for all your input, support and for this great site.
Unread 05-05-2001, 01:57 PM

Watchmefly,
Like you I was shocked that my original gyno never heard of this proceedure... scary huh?
I think Dr Bradley is up in your area... do a search on google.com Search for "painless hysterectomy" he has written many articules on this proceedure.. and I think he is up in your neck of the woods. (I dont know this for sure)
I contacted the Laprascopic Surgens of America for a list of laprascopic gynos in my area.
The one I ultimately pick to be my new gyno, who does this proceedure was just a process of calling gyno's offices and asking if the dr performs this proceedure. And as fate would have it someone also suggested this dr to me,.... LOVE when somethings just fall into place,..
I havent set a date yet for my LSH (my change wont take place till june) But now feel so better knowing I am with a dr who does what I want,.. and that I am a canidate for this proceedure.
Good luck
xo DonnaFay
Unread 05-05-2001, 03:04 PM
Supracervical info

I was all for Lap supracervical too, and searched for an expert in the Seattle area. Dr Ou is the one I talked to this week, and what he told me made me change my mind about keeping the cervix!

Supracervical hysterectomies were evidently all the rage 20+ years ago because surgeons figured out if they left the cervix behind, they didn't have to deal with the uterine arteries, which come in from below the cervix. Over the years though it women with supracervicals were still having problems with pain and bleeding. They discovered that because the boundary between the uterus and the cervix isn't well defined, quite often uterine tissue was left behind, thus causing continued problems.

The other consideration is that if a woman who's had this type of hyst should get cervical cancer, there's no way to treat it, because the usual treatment is to insert radioactive pellets inside the uterus, so if there's no uterus, the cervical cancer can't easily be treated and has to be removed - and it's evidently more difficult to remove after the uterus is gone.

Another thing is the concern about support of the vagina and sexual function, but all the professionals and women I've spoken to or read about, who've had various kinds of hyst, say neither of those things are problems. Usually, of course everyone has different special considerations!

So, I decided to give up my cervix but keep my ovaries since I have no family history of cancer, and I'll let menopause take its natural course and go to my regular doctor to deal with HRT.

Dr Ou specializes in laparascopic pelvic surgery and teaches other surgeons to do it in the US and abroad. In fact, the reason I can't have mine sooner is that he's in Nepal for 3 weeks teaching laparscopic techniques! So, he might be someone to contact - phone is 425.368.6175

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register