To those w/ rectocele or entrocele repair vaginally | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To those w/ rectocele or entrocele repair vaginally To those w/ rectocele or entrocele repair vaginally

Unread 04-21-2006, 02:19 PM
To those w/ rectocele or entrocele repair vaginally

I am wondering what to expect......I go in for surgery on May 2nd and although this is my second time (had a abdominal hyst 3 years ago) I want to know what to expect vaginally. Doc is painting WAY to rosy a picture compared to my last recovery and I want a truer view. She says I can go back to work in 2 weeks????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2006, 02:38 PM

I had a vaginal hyst with a&p repairs. as far as the healing I felt 100 percent better at week 2 that is when the external stitches dissolve, You will feel the difference. I had more done than you this time. I would think it would be an easier recovery than Your hyst. I also had 5 vaginal births with an episiotomy so I knew what to expect. I found that I needes a donut pillow to sit on . and the preperation h wipes help with the swelling You can also use witch hazel. I would think 4 weeks would be a good time to return to work. Dont go back to soon so You dont relapse. I hope this helps if you want any more info just pm or e mail me
donna
Unread 04-21-2006, 02:40 PM

I had cystocele & rectocele repair vaginally along with my hyst. The rectocele recovery was nothing compared to the cystocele. I had some pain & of course the first couple of BM's after are somewhat painful, but it really wasn't that bad. If that's all you're having done then it won't be bad at all. Just don't let yourself get constipated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2006, 02:49 PM

Thank you ladies for your speedy replies. Any one else out there want to add their experiences? My hyst was so rotten....I had severe pain lying on either side or my belly, was bruised for weeks and sex made me swell internally for almost a year afterward, and with the exception of the vaginal cuff, which tore when hubby and I had sex at 7 weeks post op, I wasn't cut down there. ?? So I guess I am afraid of the amount of cutting to be done. Doc says the vaginal is an amazing muscle and heals quickly. I've had the cuts for vaginal births, so I know what that is like. Healed from those, but this seems so much more invasive. Glad to hear there is hope though. Should I be prepared for a lot of pain immediately post op though?
Unread 04-21-2006, 05:18 PM

Hello There!
I had 3 "cele" repairs and a vault suspension done vaginally about 3 years after my TAH/BSO hyster. My hyster was done by a gyn (nasty little putz, that I fired) but my repairs were done by a URO/GYN. A URO/GYN has additional education & training in WOMENS pelvic/incontinence issues. Yes, there is alot of vaginally cutting, moving up and stitching...my doctor used Prolene stitches not mesh. I really have to say that the repair sugery was a MUCH easier recovery than the TAH/BSO. The pain level was no where near that when I was recovering from the hyster. The first week I was only comfortable if I was laying down. Check with your doctor, but I strongly recommend you not strain. I had to take Colace and a laxative immediately when I got home. I took Percocet for less than a week, then nothing. Also, drink water but not tons and tons. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights and returned to work - doing 1/2 days - after 4 weeks. My doctor spoke to my husband right after my surgery and told him that I had alot of work done and that he has to take it easy the first few times we have sex after I'm cleared (gotta love my doc!!). Hope this helps you somewhat - I can tell you that I feel 100% better!
Unread 04-22-2006, 01:54 PM

Thank you for your support and your story. I've had on-going problems after the hyst and have ALWAYS felt something intruding down there after the surgery was done, but went to doctor after doctor with no answers. Then about 9 weeks ago, I was on an exercise bike and actually felt something snake further down. Went to GYN again, nope, he said, nothing is there. Back to the primary care doc and asked can I see a uro/gyn, she said sure and within 5 minutes of the uro/gyn exam, I am told I have an entrocele and yes, the slight rectocele could be causing me the problems I've been describing for years (other doctors told me no) along with the entrocele being the culprit for the increased pressure. So I know what you mean, the URO GYN was fantastic and she will be doing the surgery. However, from my last experience at surgery which was awful, I just feel she is painting alittle too rosy a picture. But I know I'm coming from a difficult place too, not really trusting too much anymore. Thank you for posting. People have been so nice to share their stories. Any other words of advice out there? Thanks again!
Unread 04-22-2006, 09:12 PM

I can let you know how it is the second time around in a few days. I am having my surgery Monday. I am having mesh/graft to either the anterior or posterior prolapse whichever is worse. The other prolapse will be repaired with permanent sutures. I'm having enterocele repair, excision of redundant vaginal tissue and a cystoscopy. The Uro/Gyn wants to do a bladder sling but I chose to wait on that. I have heard nothing good about Bladder slings so I'd rather wait to see if leaking is going to be a problem.
I am amazed at my restrictions, no bending, stretching, squatting or lifting any more than 5 pounds for 6 weeks! I'm not allowed to stand for more than 1-2 hours. As far as returning to work goes I have to wait until the Dr knows the extent of my repairs and then we'll discuss it at my 2 week postop appointment. I'm pretty sure it will be at least 4 weeks because I'm a nurse and I stand all but 1 hour in a 9 hour day.
Wishing you luck with your surgery.
Michelle
Unread 04-23-2006, 07:50 AM

Thank you for your response to my post, and yes, let me know how it is. I know everyone is different based on how much work they have done. Best of luck with your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register